Whirring begins at 30mph, remains when slowing

imsebastian

Hey folks-

A while back I bought a used 2007 Freightliner Sprinter 2500, ~187k miles. It was in rough shape but I got it for a good deal. Now it's making a whirring noise and I want to figure out if it's related to the lack of power. I haven't driven it very much because I spend most of my time not living nearby, so I don't have much experience with using the vehicle.

Since I bought it, I did a glow plug swap and I noticed a fair bit of shaft play (axial and radial) in the turbo and some oil leaks inside of the compressor and around the turbo. I had the rear end completely swapped out for a new one. The old one sprayed oil everywhere and made a horrible whirring, and when I had the vehicle inspected they said it was a miracle it even made it to the shop. Needless to say it sounds like this van was heavily used.

The van was VERY VERY slow to accelerate before the rear end swap and now it's only VERY slow. It can get up to highway speeds but it has trouble, and hills are not easy.

It makes a very distinct whirring noise beginning around 30-35MPH, and remains roughly at the same intensity (mafnitude and frequency) whether I accelerate or decelerate, slow down or speed up. If I come to a complete stop the noise goes away until I reach ~35MPH again.

I've attached an mp3 showing the noise around 3.5s and persisting. It kind of sounds like a heavy duty fishing reel letting the line out quickly.

Currently it's at the mechanic getting diagnosed but I figured I would ask here first. Also, the tire pressure light, ABS light, traction control, and ESP lights are all on.

Do you think this issue is related to the turbo that probably needs repair? Or perhaps a severe LHM?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Was the new rear end exactly the same ratio as the original?

By your comment on acceleration times it seems unlikely.

If not then the transmission will not be happy and will likely set the warning lights you are seeing.

Keith.

imsebastian

Was the new rear end exactly the same ratio as the original?

By your comment on acceleration times it seems unlikely.

If not then the transmission will not be happy and will likely set the warning lights you are seeing.

Keith.
Hmm... honestly I had never even considered that. Is that a concern when replacing rear ends? This is a shop that specializes in Sprinters and other light-duty trucks. It's a Jasper rear end, searching for the part number didn't yield any gearing information.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
You can pull your Data Card from https://www.lastvin.com/ and find your roiginal rear axle ratio from the info given.

Then either check your 'new' axle for a tag or markings near the diff cover or, failing that, jack up one rear wheel, put the trans in Neutral and count the rotation turns of the prop/drive shaft as you turn the raised wheel by exactly ONE turn. Halve this count to allow for the multiplication effect of only driving one wheel and you will have your 'new' diff ratio.

Keith.

Top Bottom