DD/Digital Lab/Camper

sulkorp

The sliding door protective rubber piece started to lose its secure connection to the glass. While driving it would flop in the wind. Luckily it didn't come off anytime I was on the highway.

After putting it back on with force, it would still come off shortly afterwards.

The solution that has been working in rain and heat is to use a small piece of Snot Tap at the top. Snot tape is what I have known it to be called within the film industry forever, yet for this post I just found out it is actually "Clear Butyl Tape" It is available online, and probably also at your local film expendables shop.

Attached are a photo of the style of tape. It does stick out a little bit if I get close, yet more than acceptable.

Attachments

sulkorp

Here are the batteries that I will be using in the interim of a full setup. I have another unit which is fused.

My current plans are to take them out and charge them when they die.

I should also be able to use my Noico Genius charger connected via a cigarette socket inverter while driving. This could allow me to get a top up on the charge when driving.

My fan will be connected to this, and any other accessories I'd like to run ie USB charging.

Attachments

PeterW

Hey sulkorp, in post #6 you mention:

"It is clear that they didn't address the exterior trim issue, as the clips are not weather sealed."

Is the first photo in that post showing a spot where it's leaked? Have you tried pulling the panels and sealing them?
(see my thread asking about this and the supposed new fasteners which now seem to cost a lot - https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79145 )

Thanks!

Notfamous

Conversion is almost done! I went with the roll-a-ramp. Great recommendation! I still need to make wheel well cabinets to protect the battery in the back and create a charging station. Then do some type of basic grip stowage on the passenger side. It's coming along though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sulkorp

Hey sulkorp, in post #6 you mention:

"It is clear that they didn't address the exterior trim issue, as the clips are not weather sealed."

Is the first photo in that post showing a spot where it's leaked? Have you tried pulling the panels and sealing them?
(see my thread asking about this and the supposed new fasteners which now seem to cost a lot - https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79145 )

Thanks!
Not showing any leakage! Just commenting on the visuals.

I haven't pulled mine apart in a while to see if anything has changed.

I am very happy to hear they have new fasteners! I really did not enjoy the idea of sealing it

sulkorp

Conversion is almost done! I went with the roll-a-ramp. Great recommendation! I still need to make wheel well cabinets to protect the battery in the back and create a charging station. Then do some type of basic grip stowage on the passenger side. It's coming along though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Looks great! Much further along that my build, and looks great!

Are you going to be doing a build thread?

What kind of battery source are you using&ah ?

Notfamous

I haven't thought of doing a right up. It's an adventure wagon kit with my electrical harness. I'm using a goal zero 1400 battery behind the rear driver side wheel well. That's probably the only semi-newer thing I'm doing since most previous builds are doing under the driver or passenger seat power. I will be building storage cabinets on the wheel wells and may do a write-up on that. I'm just glad you mentioned the roll-a-ramps bc my folding ones were taking up so much room.

Last edited:

sulkorp

Any additional insights on the wool insulation ? Pro / con?

Thinking about Havelock.
I really enjoy working with the wool insulation. It is very easy to stuff, and also easy to take out if you need to re-do anything. Cuts down on road noise quite a bit.

With proper ventilation the van does keep cool on the summer. In colder weather it helps too.

I installed a Maxxair fan and during the summer with the fan it was great.

I don't have an Espar yet, so now that the weather is in the negatives overnight it is still cold.

While driving and heat on, it does keep it in for a while afterwards.

I imagine Havelock is similiar, as there wasn't a local vendor for it I went with a local option.

sulkorp

I haven't updated in a while, though there I am still chipping away at the van.

Installed a Maxxair fan in the summer, and it made a ton of difference.

I followed the instructions from ourkaravan, and it mostly went well. I did make a modification, as I had Hein's interior expanded pvc supports, yet didn't install them when I did the fan install. I went straight into the sheet metal, yet wasn't happy with that.

I ended up cutting the pvc down to size, pre-drilling holes for where the screws came down. Put Dicor Lap-Sealant inside the holes, then applied butyl to the strips, then put them onto the ceiling.

Next I made a square wood support bracket, which I used two stands to hold the pvc tight to the ceiling for a few days. Counter sunk some 1/4-20, and bolted them into the stands

I haven't had any problems with this setup so far, and I have installed the trim into the pvc without issues.

Attachments

Last edited:

sulkorp

Been quite a while since this has been updated.

Will post some content of the interior since it’s been built out a bit.

Have had my Starlink for a week or so, and put together this mount for when out with the van.

Don’t have roof rails, so for the moment playing around with this.

Base is aluminum with an adhesive foam

Currently using 2x suction cups with 1/4-20 bolts

Will use some foam to help keep it level, rather than a roll of tape like in the photos. (Forgot to bring it with me)

Attachments

sulkorp

Cross posting from another thread for completions sake

On the back we have a Van Compass Rear Tug Step.

We have the 1 Up Roof Rack Trays as originally planned on mounting bicycles to the Owl B2 Carrier, yet once transitioned to e-bikes the load was too much. Also getting them up there would have been a hassle. That was the Owl solution to mounting the bikes onto the B2 with their kit. Do not travel with the batteries in the bikes, they are inside the van. Yet could if wanted.

Added a 1x bike slot add-on to the stock 1-Up, to allow us to have both bikes.

Last photo shows the angle of the 1Up rack.

One thing to note is that different hitch receivers do have different load ratings. Our van did not have a hitch, and decided to with the OEM MB hitch as it has the highest load rating of 900lbs, in addition to allowing the Van Compass Rear Tug Step to bolt on and have a step and rear recovery points.

Took this out to Newfoundland this year. No issues on the ferry across. Also there during Hurricane Fiona and had no issues with the bike or carrier due to the hurricane winds. (if anything the extra weight was helpful at both night and driving. The extra weight helped with wind gusts while sleeping at night, as well at on highway. There was a noticable difference when we slept with the bikes off the mount at times)

Only thing that I did have to do from time to time is re-tighten the locking bolt on the Rak Attach to hitch. Never was in an issue with it falling off or damaging anything, yet after rough roads it did back out a little bit.

Only change I would do is have it swing out to the Drivers side, as opposed to the Passenger. Was a bit annoying to be able to open the rear door with it opening the way it did.

No issue with clearances or anything on our travels.

Attachments

Top Bottom