Total newbie, many questions!

thirdmountain

Hi. So very glad to have found this forum. We just purchased (private seller) a barely used (1200 miles) 2014 Thor Citation Sprinter. Just took it out to a local state park this weekend, and love it. But! A few peculiarities that I hope you can help me with:

Dashboard alert about every 10 minutes with a short tone. First one was a little wrench with "- 2d" above it. Today coming back home, the same thing only " - 3d". Manual doesn't give us a clue.

Next -- for the life of us, we cannot get the tvs to get a signal. Drove us nuts. We read the manuals cover to cover and did everything they said. No luck.

Third -- can anyone advise us on our options to switch out the air mattress sofa bed with something else? Comfortable enough, but a pain to set up and take down, and there are three of us, so we need it.

In addition, any general suggestions are most appreciated. New to diesel, new to motor home camping (vs. trailer/tent), and really want to take care of this beautiful machine.

Thanks, folks. Can't wait to hear from you.

Last edited:

pfflyer

Welcome. I can help you with the dash alert. That is how many days you are past a regular service. I think the computer uses time and mileage to alert you. Look in the manual and see what service should be performed yearly unless your mileage is a typo.

Good luck

There is also a Thor section of the forum that may be a source to look for ideas on your other questions.

Last edited:

sailquik

thirdmountain,
Actually the OEM Sprinter Maintenance Manual Page 4 is where you will find the explanation for Assyst system " -2d and -3d wrenches".
These indicate that your Sprinter RV is due for service.
If, for some reason, you don't have the full compliment of OEM Sprinter manuals for your 2014 170" wb cab/chassis you can
download them (as .PDF files) here:
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/owners/manuals
Having these files downloaded as >PDF files makes searching them for specific topics much easier.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Attachments

Last edited:

Dully

Thirdmountain. Did you solve the TV problem? We have a 2016 Citation with Seiki TV's. Have not yet managed to get a cable signal from the co-ax input. Tried at three separate RV parks so far. Component TV works fine playing DVD's from the Jensen unit. The ( HD Digital ) TV signal over the airwaves is terrific ( but we do live in a city ). I just cannot figure out if there's a switch, other than selecting Cable as the Source, that activates or controls the cable input.

WizBandit

Being a retired broadcast engineer I knew how to find the problem. My brand new 2014 Siesta had a big issue with the bozo that installed the type-F video connectors. They used a rotary coax cable stripper and it was not used properly. They wrapped 1 or 2 strands of the outer coax shield fine wires around the center conductor shorting out the coax. They used twist-on Type-F connectors so I removed them and every one was shorted. I fixed all of them and got all the video working fine.

mechmike10

We don't have one of these vehicles, although we are waiting on one. Having used other RVs, however, there is an issue with RV TV reception that would never appear at home. Usually, the RV system has an amplifier that has to be switched into the system when running on the antenna, and switched out when on cable. If it is in the wrong position, you will get nothing. On one trailer we had, the TV hookup plate had two coax connections, one for cable and one for antenna. A more usual situation is there is a small switch or button on the TV hookup plate that switches the amp in or out of the circuit. If it is in the wrong position, NADA. This is in addition to programming the TV itself to find channels on the cable or antenna.

slvmart

There is also a distribution switch located, for example in our 2014 24SR, at the top of the closet.
http://www.questtechnologyintl.com/product.cfm?product=124#.V_d3EK2f55p

Although, I don't doubt that the workmanship may be at fault.

I also was perplexed by the MB system of reminding one of service intervals. I searched the manual and could find nothing relevant. My problem was that when I bought the coach, it had been on the dealers lot for over a year, but had only around 400 miles on it. Typically, RV dealers are not interested in doing necessary service prior to actually delivering the coach. So driving the coach I had the nagging 1d, 2d, etc. going off. Since the coach was as old as it was, and very low miles, the 1st thing I did was arrange to have the oil & filter changed. Discussion with the Service Manager, resolved and explained the issue. Also, the SRS/Seatbelt light was constantly on when I purchased the coach. MB corrected that and found that the "upfitter" (Thor) had messed up the wiring when hooking into the system.

As far as the sleeping arrangements, do you have the cabover bunk ? If so, is that not an option ? Removing the couch out of the slide shouldn't be real involved. If you flip the back forward, and look down, there are 2 bolts that hold the seat in place. Remove those and you will have clear access to mounting/electrical and everything else associated with the couch. The bigger problem would most likely be removing the couch out of the coach.

Last edited:

Famaro

Welcome, we just bought a 2013 Citation. Im a newbee too.
Try the distribution switch located in the cabinet above the refrigerator. My front TV does not get very good signal, but the rear TV does. I can jiggle the coax wire on the front TV and make it work.
What generator do you have diesel or LP?

Top Bottom