2003 sprinter wont go above 3500 rpm

manu01

Hello everyone im new to this forum, im hopeing i can get some answers to my problem. I have a 2003 Dodge Sprinter 3500 2.7 and the issue that im having is that the rmp goes up very slow compare to my brother's 2006 2.7 also the transmission wont manually shift up or down and for the most part to shift when it does it has to be over 3000rpm i dont know how to transmission used to shift since i bought the truck with a bad engine i did an oversize to .20 bigger bought the kit and put it all back together the truck idles fine and starts right up i connected a code reader and the only code that is giving me is water in the fuel filter, i dont have any water in the filter but i do have bubbles of air mainly when i give it gas not very visible in idle the light is on on the dash but sometimes i goes away i haven't driven the car since i tested the first day until i can figure out what is causing the probblem.

Also i left a picture of a small part that works with the turbo vaccum hose i couldn't find where the bottom hose was connected to but i did figured out that if i plug it it actuate the turbo so if any of you guys know where it goes and can send me a picture i'll appreciate that.

Attachments

Last edited:

manu01

The time that i drove it didnt go past 30 mph so im guessing i was concerned that the water in fuil filter buti dont see the reason why it takes longer to get to high rpm even of im in meutral.

Cableman

I have a 2016 Freight-liner Sprinter. GL is right. My Sprinter went into this 'Safe Mode' when I had electrical line fall onto engine head gasket and melt. I limped to shop and the melted line was detected. Trust the safe mode...something is not right.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
There are many possible reasons for LHM. Start by finding a Sprinter capable scanner (you did not ID the scanner you are using or the code it generated). Otherwise your are going forward blind.

Also, air bubbles indicate a completely separate problem. There are many thread on that topic - start with the Common Maintenance thread.

Last edited:

MasterOfOne

'03 T1N 140 Cargo 3500
I had this pressure transducer fail at ~25k miles. Never had any CEL and when I bought an Autel scanner recommended on this site, no codes stored.

Rod67

I had a problem with a connector on the turbo air line that did the same thing. Mine was fixed under warranty When I called the dealer -- they knew exactly what it was

This was many years ago. Miss that 5 cyl that gave me 24 MPG

koenb

Trc do you happen to know where that number 8 in the picture is located?
The bottom fitting/hose is just a vent line for the transducer, this should be unrestricted (hence why it operates when plugged with a finger). Are you able to trace the hose back? The filter on the end of it shouldn't be far.

trc.rhubarb

#8 on my van is by the firewall, above and to the left of the heater valve. mounted to the backside heater valve bracket.
It's purely an atmospheric vent with a filter though and nothing more.
By plugging that hose, you prevent the valve from releasing vacuum which would cause an over boost condition.

My valve failed with all ports open and needed to be replaced.
If you find yours to be the same, you can pick up the jeep liberty part (same part) for much less money than the dodge or mercedes ones.

Last edited:

manu01

I disconected that hose to replace the cowl panel in my van that was rusted and the only picture that i have of that section doesn't show the exact location.

Attachments

trc.rhubarb

It's right here. Mounted to the same bracket the heater valve attaches to.

I had said above and to the left, but i was incorrect as you can see.
I just took this photo.

Attachments

MasterOfOne

'03 T1N 140 Cargo 3500
billintomahawk found it in the states. I'm impressed. I couldn't seem to find it in the states and ended up finding it on AliExpress. Took a while for it to come over on the boat.

So I wanted to add some more detail to my experience. Bought my van with about ~25k. Seller was honest and said the turbo did not work. But when I test drove it, it accelerated up to freeway speeds. When I got home, I started searching for answers on this forum. Tested the vacuum diaphragm with a hand pump and the lever moved. Searched more on turbo failure and decided that at only ~25k miles, the very expensive turbo was not likely worn out. I tested the rest of the vacuum tubing circuit for leaks, no smoking gun. So I found this pressure transducer online for ~$25. I thought it would be worth a try with little spent and I felt I got lucky with an inexpensive fix.

Wow, what a difference in acceleration. The seller told me that he was using manual shifting to get up to speed, and that's how I drove it for 6 months until I found the fix. To reiterate, I had no CEL and no codes. I believe it was not a true LMH condition as others have described LMH. The computer was not limiting the injectors. It was just lethargic acceleration. The computer was trying to add boost but didn't react adversely that no boost was produced, as no indication at the dash.

This is my first diesel engine. I've wanted one for a while to play with and experience. Many of my co-workers have Dodge, Ford and Chevy diesels. But I was not interested in a pickup body and wanted something to haul, pull and camp with. I'm very impressed with the torque of this 5cyl. Such a small engine with a lot of grunt. Pulls my 14ft. cargo trailer with little added effort ( and 1 less mpg) at 70mph. My Tahoe with a 5.7L (350cc) is a dog pulling the same trailer and works hard to stay at 60mph. Probably the rear gear ratio and the gas mileage is a third less.

B

billintomahawk

I bought the Amazon unit as a spare plus 3 feet of vacuum tubing.
For the money it seemed like the reasonable thing to do given the number of problems/failures seen on this forum.

b

Top Bottom