Dump Hose Transparent Insert?

Rabler

Can anyone think of a reason why I should NOT replace four or five inches of my Agile's dump hose with a clear rigid plexiglass tube so I can see what is (and is not) coming out of the macerator? Hearing a change in the macerator sound is often impossible in noisy environments.

If I can devise the proper connections, I'd insert the tube just before the right-angle ell that has the shutoff valve.

Advice and cautions are most welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
You have the same set up as I have in my Ideal. My hose has been shortened a foot or more for a few years due to cracked hose. Only negative is that I have to be. Loser to the drain.
I agree that being able to see would be helpful. My first thought is that new hose clamps would have to fit into the hose receptacle when you push it in and not “catch” interfering with pulling it out.
Second - assuming the clear section would be wet, it may be difficult to assess flow rate through the clear hose.
I usually let the pump run until the pump sound changes to sound like it’s running “dry” rather than pumping liquid.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Hear you! Same issue with me, almost impossible to hear the pitch change if there's traffic/noise nearby. I've been known to just lift it up out of the dump hole a bit to SEE what's coming out to verify if tanks are really empty or not.

pfflyer

I just have a gravity system and I cant imagine dumping without a clear section to view what is coming out. With that said I don't see why you couldn't add a clear section. To avoid having 2 more hose clamps with the added clear hose, have you thought about adding a clear pipe fitting between the elbow and the valve or after the valve? Not much of a choice in threaded fittings but they could be adapted with regular PVC fittings.

https://www.mcmaster.com/clear-pvc-pipe-fittings

RT.SS

Just add about few inches of clear vinyl tubing at the end of the discharge nipple, easy on-off if you want to use the rubber donut.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Problem comes when it's time to replace the hose for storage; not sure about others, but the way mine tucks back in under that flip-up access panel (after pushing the green hose back into its hole), it's tight as it is -- there's not a lot of room for any extra hose or fittings...

EDIT: After going outside and looking at it, by George there might be some room for a bit of clear hose! I leave the rubber donut on all the time and tuck that over by the LP valves, which leaves about 14" of the green hose exposed.

Not real excited about more potential leak points, but I bet I could get a section of clear hose in there.... good idea! :bow:

Attachments

Rabler

First, thanks to all who responded to my query with advice and examples. You've really been helpful in clarifying my thinking. SSTraveler seems to have suggested the most elegant solution--a clear PVC elbow and ball valve--and was kind enough to provide URLs where the needed parts can be ordered. Many thanks!

I'm going to try that solution and will report on how it works. Right now we're awaiting a long overdue spring in Wisconsin and I have yet to de-winterize our Agile. So it may be a couple of weeks before I provide an update.

I have one on mine but over time the hose just gets milky looking and you don't see anything.

Maybe just the of hose I used. I have the macerator so really it just changes color when pumping.

Top Bottom