Incredible deal from AT&T - Unlimited data for $20/month

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Just fyi I want to mention the unbelievable AT&T Wireless 'Connected Car' promotion which provides unlimited LTE data for only $20/month, and you do not need to be an existing AT&T customer to obtain it. The only catch is that the only equipment supported is the ZTE Mobley (a hotspot that connects to any vehicle's OBDII port), but since all the device needs from the OBDII port is power it's easy to power them in any number of ways, including from USB. Mobleys (ZTE VM6200) will also work as a cellular USB modem with routers. The response has been enormous (I mean, $20 for unlimited data on the AT&T postpaid network??? WTF). These are perfect an RV or anyone on the road or even emergency backup for home. Also many have reported that once activated in a Mobley you can move the SIM to whatever device you want, AT&T doesn't seem to be doing any IMEI verification beyond initial activation (for now.)

Currently both AT&T and Best Buy are out of stock on the Mobleys but it's worth checking until you find one, once service is activated you will almost certainly be grandfathered at the $20 rate after the promotion ends. You need to check frequently because when they become available they are all gone within a day or two as people are buying them up and then selling on Ebay for 3-4X list price. It's a limited time promotion but it's unclear when it will end. I have no idea why they are offering a deal like this but I wouldn't expect it to last long.

You can order online or an AT&T store or Best Buy (again, only if they have a unit in stock.) Make sure you specify the 'Connected Car Standalone' plan as not all reps are aware of it. There is also a dedicated line at AT&T for the program at 866-595-1222. The Mobley hardware is $99 or free with a 2-year commitment (although AT&T socks the 2-years plans with a $45 activation fee while there is no activation fee if you purchase the unit outright.)

Ordering online is very easy ( https://www.att.com/devices/zte/mobley.html#sku=sku7700323 ) but you will need to wait until more Mobleys are available before the system will take your order. If you call AT&T they say that more will be available 'soon'.

What is unlimited data? Unlimited 4G LTE or throtled down after you reach 2-5 GB per month. If it was unlimited 4G everyone would use it at home. Also ATT limits video steaming to 480 bit rate IE standard definition not 1080 HD.
Please provide full disclosure details on unlimited data.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Just read the small print. ATT does throttle you after 22GB per month to "slow speed" code for unusable. ATT does not clearly state if normal speed is 4G LTE. ATT also states it uses "data saver" to limit video to 480p. ATT does not state it will stream video at 1080p.

I guess the device needs to be tested out 1) to see if it can be used when not connected to the vehicles data port and 2) the true speeds it can be used at.

Who has one that can verify?

camillo

I went on line the day smiller began this thread. ATT website said the Mobleys would be in stock and shipping between 20 and 27 June. I got a shipping notice yesterday and fedex just delivered it - it was free overnight shipping. Never expected that. Now I need to wait a week for that adaptor!

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Just read the small print. ATT does throttle you after 22GB per month to "slow speed" code for unusable. ATT does not clearly state if normal speed is 4G LTE. ATT also states it uses "data saver" to limit video to 480p. ATT does not state it will stream video at 1080p.
No, this is common misunderstanding but you are not automatically 'throttled to unusable after 22 GB'. As explained earlier in the thread, you can be 'de-prioritized' after 23 GB of usage in one month if the tower you are using at a given moment is heavily loaded with other users. This kind of language is in every unlimited service plan from any carrier and could potentially result in slower speeds after 22 GB if you are on a busy tower at the time, but so far they don't even seem to be enforcing that as I've seen reports of people using in excess of 200 GB without any noticeable speed throttling. I personally would consider that level of usage abuse but bottom line, most users will not be affected by the '22 GB' limitation.

Also from reports I've seen the SmartStream feature does not seem to be applied to this plan and streaming is not throttled. If you stream 4K all day and use up a TB of data and AT&T sends you a nastrygram then you have no one to blame but yourself, but otherwise streaming is not limited. What I recommend is to limit bandwidth yourself to whatever you need for the screen you are using, Netflix and others allow you to do this.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
For a RV WB View Sprinter streaming can be lower cost and lower wt then having a satellite dish.
The fine print is confusing to no end. I did read that after 22 GB ATT can throttle you. You are correct it is based on the traffic on the tower you are using. There are different plans too. I wonder if you but Direct TV Go if streaming data does not go against your plan data?

I agree this may be the deal of the century if it is truely unlimited and can somehow be made portable with a power source. I will go to the ATT store to check it out. Even if it mean portable to every car and RV you have.

Have you converted one to a USB power source?

I currently have Verizon LTE with a 10 gig data plan a month at $55 a month. I could get that lowered and use this as a MIFI.
Tom

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I went on line the day smiller began this thread. ATT website said the Mobleys would be in stock and shipping between 20 and 27 June. I got a shipping notice yesterday and fedex just delivered it - it was free overnight shipping. Never expected that. Now I need to wait a week for that adaptor!
What addaptor do you speak about? Just to plug it into your car or an adaptor to use it outside of the car?
Tom

smiller

What addaptor do you speak about? Just to plug it into your car or an adaptor to use it outside of the car?
Read. The. Thread. :smilewink:

From an earlier post:

The USB power adapter I'm using is linked below. If you don't need to power from USB then you can use an inexpensive OBDII connector pigtail and just connect to any 12-volt source (all you need to do is connect +12 volts and ground on the connector, ODBII pinout diagrams are easily available via Google.) If you want to USB power do not simply connect a USB plug and OBDII connector together though, USB provides only 5 volts so if you want to use USB for power you need a DC-DC converter as well and that is built into the commercial offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...00_s00?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Aupoko-OBD-II...ronics&ie=UTF8

smiller

I think all current Verizon smartphones have this feature
Yes, most smartphones can tether and/or act as a hotspot but note that the current smartphone unlimited plans from Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile limit tethered/hotspot data to 10 GB, and after that point speed will be severely reduced (this is a hard cap and is something completely different than the 23 GB milestone limited above.) Meaning, tethered/hotspot data will be slowed at 10 GB on these plans but smartphone data will not. There is no 10 GB limitation on the AT&T Connected Car plan since it does not support smartphones (or at least isn't intended to.)

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I think all current Verizon smartphones have this feature
The smartphone may offer the feature, but the account/contract may not.

(i only have a flip-phone Verizon account, so i can't speak from personal experience)
((3 years ago my T-Mobile account did NOT allow me to hot-spot, even though my phone was capable))
(((it may now allow it, i haven't tried...)))

--dick

((3 years ago my T-Mobile account did NOT allow me to hot-spot, even though my phone was capable))

--dick
Yep. My Samsung Illusion can be a hot spot. My basic Page Plus plan doesn't support that for my phone. Some higher level Page Plus plans may/probably do allow it.

The device may be capable, but will the AT&T "deal" enable/allow it?

vic

Last edited:

chromisdesigns

(i only have a flip-phone Verizon account, so i can't speak from personal experience)

--dick
Verizon contracts allow it

Geriakt

2017 View 24J

--dick
I have a Verizon smart phone plan. 2 phones with 10 gig shared data. It allows you to turn your smart phone into a hot spot at 4G LTE speeds.

I have a Verizon smart phone plan. 2 phones with 10 gig shared data. It allows you to turn your smart phone into a hot spot at 4G LTE speeds.
My wife is on a Verizon unlimited plan tagged to my daughter. DW's iPhone and iPad are included. Data is "unlimited", but at some data usage point it switches from 4G to a slower speed.

When they went to unlimited my thought was "Oh boy. We'll ditch the cable modem and I'll tag on to your iPhone hotspot." Then I did some research. Her iPhone and iPad are unlimited because the devices are listed. The hotspot data sharing is limited to some gigabyte level per month. So much for ditching cable. :rolleyes:

vic

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Read. The. Thread. :smilewink:

From an earlier post:

The USB power adapter I'm using is linked below. If you don't need to power from USB then you can use an inexpensive OBDII connector pigtail and just connect to any 12-volt source (all you need to do is connect +12 volts and ground on the connector, ODBII pinout diagrams are easily available via Google.) If you want to USB power do not simply connect a USB plug and OBDII connector together though, USB provides only 5 volts so if you want to use USB for power you need a DC-DC converter as well and that is built into the commercial offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...00_s00?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Aupoko-OBD-II...ronics&ie=UTF8

Sorry I did miss one full tab on the thread.
So I see from your link to ATT the device is free with a 2 year contract with free shipping. Add $45 for a connection fee.
Additional $40 for a USB addaptor.
I assume the device is transferable to any car to use in. When used with the USB addaptor you can use it connected to a hot 12 volt cigarette lighter in any car or use a USB plug to a 110 volt source.
I would like to see if it can be used in a home with a chromecast to stream to a TV or connected to a WiFi router with firewall and port fowarding. If so $20 per month would be the deal of the century for internet connection.

If so I would get a Straight Talk plan for $40 a month and this device for $20 a month and drop my home internet and save $40 a month.
I wonder If this device would count to bundle Direct TV Go for an additional $10 a month. Guess I will need to go to the ATT store to ask.

smiller

I would like to see if it can be used in a home with a chromecast to stream to a TV or connected to a WiFi router with firewall and port fowarding. If so $20 per month would be the deal of the century for internet connection.
A lot of people seem to be looking at it that way (home Internet replacement) although it's surely not what AT&T intended. There's nothing in the T&C's that specifically restricts the plan to a vehicle though so not sure that one would necessarily get into trouble. The one thing they could do is enforce the 23 GB 'de-prioritization' clause, but even that may not have much of an impact depending on your location. When carriers do go after abuse they usually look at the top 3% of users so you don't want to be in that group.

I have no idea how AT&T can afford to provide this plan at only $20/month. It started so AT&T could match OnStar's rate for car connectivity but I think the uptake has been far beyond expectations and I can't imagine this deal will last forever. But if the past is any guide customers already on the plan when they pull it will be grandfathered so anyone who wants it should, in the words of Janis Joplin, get it while they can.

Last edited:

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Looks like if the device is not linked to anyone car it can be moved around or even remain stationary like in a house with a power addaptor. I have good Verizon 4G and cell at my house but ATT reception is lacking. I would need to test it at my house and run some speed tests. I would guess there is a 30 day refund policy if it does not work at my house.

Any idea how to use a router with it for home use via WiFi and wired network?
Tom

smiller

Looks like if the device is not linked to anyone car it can be moved around or even remain stationary like in a house with a power addaptor. I have good Verizon 4G and cell at my house but ATT reception is lacking. I would need to test it at my house and run some speed tests. I would guess there is a 30 day refund policy if it does not work at my house.

Any idea how to use a router with it for home use via WiFi and wired network?
I think the refund policy from AT&T (and most carriers in fact) is usually 14 days.

The Mobley has a USB port and some have been successful using it as a 4G modem with certain routers that support that feature, the Asus AC1900 or AC1750 are an example. I tried it myself and did get it to work but it wasn't very stable. Even though the Mobley does has a USB port it isn't mentioned in the documentation and I'm not sure it is even supported by ZTE so it may not be the best choice for this purpose.

Below is a Howard Forums thread on the topic. As you will see some report success using the Mobley as a USB modem and others... not so much. From what I've read once the SIM is activated on the plan in a Mobley it can be moved to other hotspot devices and if so in my experience if you really need this functionality you're probably better off buying a modem that is vetted and supported for use in this way. You could then potentially sell the Mobley and be even. All this is said with the caveat that while AT&T does not currently do any IMEI verification to ensure that the SIM is in a Mobley, they potentially could in the future.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...USB-Tethering-ASUS-Router-and-probably-others!

glasseye

Just got off chat with ATT. Mobley device is listed as "available online again late June". Month to month no contract fee of $20 per month. Device cost $99. This is a heck of a deal if it'll work for us lame-ass Canadians travelling in the US. :rad:

smiller

Just got off chat with ATT. Mobley device is listed as "available online again late June". Month to month no contract fee of $20 per month. Device cost $99. This is a heck of a deal if it'll work for us lame-ass Canadians travelling in the US.
It will work for you while in the US but international plans are not available on the $20 Connected Car deal so it won't work in Canada. And if you order online they may not ship to a Canadian address or even allow a Canadian address as a service address so you may need some cooperative person with a US address to front for you. :smilewink:

Top Bottom