First legit Promaster conversion?

RyanJNelson

I'm actually averaging closer to 20 mpg than the previous 18. I attribute this to the lower elevation and lack of hills in central California versus Colorado. Had the van weighed at just under 7000 lbs it's dry weight is 4800 lbs. Anyway, there has been no noticeable difference in gas mpg.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

I saw a Sprinter + Promaster convoy in FL last week. Nice looking conversions in normal tall bodies. Promaster looked a bit shorter, but quite a bit more square up top. The Mercedes had much better ground clearance. WHat is with that dropped square axle on the back of the Promaster? It gives up like 4" of clearance!

sailquik

Not sure if what Winnebago builds qualifies as a "conversion", but I saw one of these last night.

http://www.gowinnebago.com/products/2014/trend/

The new Trend is kinda fugly, just a big square box looking from the back, but there was a RAM Promaster cab
peeking out from under the built on RV body.

I could not believe the length of the rear overhang, and it looked like it had some sort of receiver hitch on the back.

Chassis:
Here's what I just found on the Winnebago Trend website about the chassis and the receiver hitch:
Ram ProMaster Chassis 280-hp. 3.6L V6 gas engine, 6-speed automatic 62TE transmission, 220-amp. alternator

Trailer Hitch
2,000-lb. drawbar/200-lb. maximum vertical tongue weight and wiring w/4-pin connector.

The trailer hitch capacity is VERY limited to be sure!

Not sure why, but the driver of the Trend did an almost 360 deg. drive around look at my 2014 Sprinter Cargo Van.
Do you suppose he wished he'd bought the Winnebago built on the Sprinter Cab/Chassis instead of the
RAM Promaster?
Roger

Last edited:

RyanJNelson

Interesting, I figured they would become more popular as time went on. They are a bit more fugly but that square shape uses the interior space more efficiently.

The towing capacity wasn't a big issue for me as I don't tow anything.

RyanJNelson

Got some of the cabinet doors on. Anyone have suggestions for a good spring loaded hinge that will work with the cabinet overlaying the opening by 1/2 inch? I got some basic ones from home depot but they won't work for the remaining bigger cabinets.

Attachments

sampep

Love the Layout!
Are you planing on adding swivel seats at some point?
What about showing your electrical setup a big if you have time!

I'm looking at buying a promaster as well... tried one and loved it.
For the price , it's quite the package.

Cheers

bstory

Hey, I wish I'd seen this thread earlier and hope it isn't too late - hope it isn't all inaccessible now, but wanted to give you a heads up on the particle board you appear to have used in your conversion. Most, but not all, particle board off-gasses formaldehyde and that is what made the trailers FEMA supplied after Hurricane Katrina so toxic.

You really want to get a good coat of paint on all of it - even the stuff behind cabinets if you can get at it. Use a primer/sealer of some sort that creates a barrier for the formaldehyde, like Zinsser products.

Sealing it will take care almost all of the problem. I know some of it is now supposed to be formaldehyde-free, but I am not sure I would trust what they used instead. Maybe you were on top of this and, if so, I apologize for bothering you, but I'd hate to see someone find out all their work created a toxic environment.

RyanJNelson

It's all formaldehyde free. Anyway, the majority of it was covered in one thing or another.

Van still going strong. No issues with the build whatsoever!

jmgasior

jmgasior
That 20 mpg sounds great ,get only 22with my diesel sprinter,is it peppier enough with the weight in it?thinking abt ditching the sprinter and looking at the other 2 vans keep your info on van coming,thanks

RyanJNelson

20 is definitely the highest we have gotten. It averages closer to 18. I find that even just going 60 mph instead of 65 mph saves me another gph.

surlyoldbill

In my van, there is a MPG peak around 45 that drops exponentially over 60. However, "rushing" at 70-75mph vs my normal highway driving of 65 only drops my mpg 2-3mpg. WAIT! 2-3mpg is about 10% drop!

I think the aerodynamics of these square faced vans doesn't lend itself to very good mpg at highway speeds.

jmgasior

jmgasior
Thanks Nelson,that 18 in gas is the same as 22 in diesel,if I can get a good price on my 2008 i will jump,Is it peppier enough?

RyanJNelson

Yea they are definitely not aerodynamic, but the square shape leads to more room inside.

Amazing what just a couple mph does to your mpg.

The gas has plenty of pep in it. I'm also carrying nearly 2000 lbs of payload.

tadeo1

I have a 2008 Sprinter 144/2500 which I converted myself to a nice RV, I am in Sayulita/Mex. now and will be driving to Calif. by Thanksgiving.
My conversion has 2" fiberglass insulation on ceiling and walls but the entire RV is built with Home Depot outdoor carpet on top of 1/8 plywood, this includes doors for shelves etc., the doors and main framing is 1 X 2 pine wood, my RV is quite on the road, no rattles the carpet glued to the 1/8 plywood on 1 x 2 frames is very solid and super light, of course I used 1/2 inch plywood for the bottoms of the shelves, the combination of the carpet and the 2" insulation made the vehicle very well insulated, I was in the Glaciers and Canada in sub zero and in Mexico over 100 deg. and wife, 2 Shihtzus and I survive well.
It is crazy to build a van with heavy wood, tile etc. I have constructed campers since 1975, driven a VW to Argentina with a 12 feet boat for extended top, I have real experience traveling in RVs, if some one wants to see the interior of my Sprinter (I built two a 2003 and 2008) I will have the 2008 for sale soon and plan to buy a ProMaster or maybe a Mexican Ford Transit that is FWD and has a 2.2 litter diesel and gives 30MPG and do the same, I will be living between Mex. and the USA, If you need information send an email to: Tadeo1_us@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Top Bottom