Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk > Scanners

Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #11
srmpf

Default Re: Guide for T1N Owners: iCarSoft MB II Diagnostic Tool

wow - quite a review. you definitely spend more time testing this thing than I did. About the sw versions installed on my device, I'll let you know once I'm back home tomorrow.
srmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,469 Times in 9,192 Posts

I was ready to pull the trigger on the icarsoft scan tool.

The price went from $199.95 to $229.95 before I placed my order.

I sent a eBay PM to quickshipautoparts asking if they could give me the old price. No reply at all from quickshipautoparts after a couple days.

While waiting I noticed an eBay coupon for $20 off. I figured what the hell, $209.95 isn't bad. Went to checkout. Price went up from $229.95 to $299.95 since yesterday. Added 4/6/2016: and has since dropped down to $199.95 and presently is at $179.95.

No point in trying to contact quickshipautoparts again to get no reply.

ADDED: The seller did contact me and is honoring the lower price. He mentioned that he gets many eBay messages daily and has trouble keeping up. The communication was very professional. I suggest that if you are not in a rush for the icarsoft unit it may be worth waiting to see if the price comes down a bit again.

$299.95 was too rich for me to buy what is really another toy. My DAD does what I need. That said, 200 bucks is worth it just to not need the laptop like the DAD does.

vic

Added:
This is the correct scan tool. The seller is very good, just give some time for e-mail response if that is needed. The price will vary, so if in no rush watch the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...830941&vxp=mtr
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 04-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

UPDATE

The seller did contact me and is honoring the lower price. He mentioned that he gets many eBay messages daily and has trouble keeping up. The communication was very professional. I suggest that if you are not in a rush for the icarsoft unit it may be worth waiting to see if the price comes down a bit again.

I will be buying the icarsoft scan tool.

vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
angolaron (04-02-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:19 AM   #14
BenJohnson
2006 2500 T1N

I can back up what Vic says: Matt at quickshipautoparts, is just a solo guy like you or me, who works hard to respond quickly to questions and issues. He wants his one man business to suceed. I have sent a couple of emails to him and he is helpful in his answers. I will buy from him again (if the price is right).

Too bad the price is jumping up.
BenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BenJohnson For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (04-03-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
seans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJohnson View Post
Nice work seans! How did you get the graphs and readiness reports? I did not see them.

I am also interested to hear about your upgrade to see if we can have all three versions (e.g. and keep ABS).
The graphs and readiness reports are found when you select "OBD-II" instead of "SPRINTER" in the very first menu when start the device.

Sadly, graphs are not available in the Sprinter-specific area. :-(

The Sprinter-specific and emissions-specific (OBD) personalities are kind of like having two tools in one device. If you just need to get past emissions testing, you just need to fix things that clear the emissions-related codes that the OBD side reports. I'm sure you know the following, so this is really for future readers - the Sprinter-specific side reports ALL codes - some of these will show up as emissions codes to an OBD-II reader, and some are not emissions codes and won't show up to an OBD-II reader and won't affect emissions testing readiness. The Sprinter-specific side is what you'd consult for a proper, comprehensive repair job (more than just emissions) and is where normal OBD-II readers fall down.

Unfortunately, the graphing feature is only found on the OBD side.

I think you posted that you are in touch with these guys? Maybe you (and others) can point them to these threads and alert them to the fact that they have a concentrated group of users here who would love to shake down any new versions before they are officially released, so that things like ABS code reading breaking can be found and addressed early, and features like graphing on the Sprinter-specific side can be requested.

====

I will be updating the guide as more information is available. I have expanded a section called "Alternatives" in the first post. In particular, I've added information about the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 - Full System (thread here, with photos. There is a video by MercedesGenIn showing it in action.) Available on EBay. From the information in that thread, it appears to have some advantages over the iCarSoft unit:

Last edited by seans; 04-14-2016 at 09:12 PM.
seans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Jamescell

Thank you everyone for your well written and researched documentation of this device. I did not see mention of oil lamp reset and steering angle sensor calibration. I have found both of these features to work with my 06! To access them you go into the Benz menu, select the function you would like to access, it will ask car or van, obviously van is what you want. In the oil lamp and angle calibration there is an option to select sprinter II, from there it's very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamescell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamescell For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (04-06-2016), seans (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
seans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescell View Post
Thank you everyone for your well written and researched documentation of this device. I did not see mention of oil lamp reset and steering angle sensor calibration. I have found both of these features to work with my 06! To access them you go into the Benz menu, select the function you would like to access, it will ask car or van, obviously van is what you want. In the oil lamp and angle calibration there is an option to select sprinter II, from there it's very simple.
Thanks! I'll add this info to the guide. So they were in the Benz menu! No wonder I we did not see them. I wonder what "ETCS reset" is, and if "DPF Reset" is useful to NCV3 owners? I wonder if the antilock brake solenoid activation, which I think was mentioned in the seller's listing, is available via one of the other Mercedes models in the BENZ section?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,233 Times in 5,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans View Post
Thanks! I'll add this info to the guide. So they were in the Benz menu! No wonder I we did not see them. I wonder what "ETCS reset" is, and if "DPF Reset" is useful to NCV3 owners? I wonder if the antilock brake solenoid activation, which I think was mentioned in the seller's listing, is available via one of the other Mercedes models in the BENZ section?
If it works, DPF Reset would be highly useful to NCV3 owners.

Worth the cost of the tool.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #19
Jamescell

All items in that menu are available to the 906 sprinter, I'm not sure what that means other than it doesn't work for my 06. I did see ABS activation in there somewhere, however I couldn't get it to work with my van so it quickly went to the forget section of my memory lol. I was really happy to reset the assyst mileage because doing it by the dash is very frustrating at times! I have had a srs light for 2 years due to the steering angle sensor, now that's gone :). Pretty happy with this device!

Jamescell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamescell For This Useful Post:
seans (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #20
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Default Re: Guide for T1N & NCV3 Owners: iCarSoft MB II Diagnostic Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescell View Post
All items in that menu are available to the 906 sprinter, I'm not sure what that means other than it doesn't work for my 06. ...

The T1N uses K-line for scan tool to module communication. The NCV3 models use CAN bus.

That may be the main reason that the 906 section options didn't work for your T1N.

Thanks for the input about your experiences to date. It's sounding more and more like my ordering the iCarsoft tool is going to work fine for my purposes.

vic

Added:

The USA cargo version of the 906 NCV3 comes in two wheelbases options (144", 170"), two roof heights (standard 72.4", high 60.6"), four lengths (Short 233.3", Standard 274.2, Extended 289.8"), and two weight classes (2500, 3500)[8] where the 3500's have the option of dual rear wheels or rear super singles.

The model designations for the first generation Sprinter [T1N] are W901, W902, W903, W904 and W905, depending on the gross weight rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Sprinter

Added:

From the Autel MD802 Setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
There is pretty minimal variance in sprinter equipment/options in north america. Selecting the year alone may be enough for the scanner to know what engine/system configuration you have.

For example generally speaking all sprinters (of the same year) have the same climate control system, ABS, and Engine system. The only major varaible options might be power locks, remote entry, Assyst, and heater/booster. The transmissions and engines do not change, except for the unicorn V6 gas option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Very good point.

Generic Group 903 K-line scan communication

NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 = Same OM612 diesel engine (CDI2), NAG1 transmission

NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 = Same OM647 diesel OM647 engine (CDI3), NAG1 transmission

Generic Group 906 CAN bus scan communication

NAS aka NAFTA 2007 - 2013(?) = Same OM642 diesel engine, NAG1 transmission

NAS aka NAFTA 2014(?) and up have V6, I4 diesel engine variations with associated different transmissions.

vic
As always, clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 04-22-2016 at 06:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
frambach (09-26-2016), MillionMileSprinter (04-12-2016), seans (04-06-2016)

Tags
code reader, diagnostics, obd, scan tool