Scanner Autel MaxiAP200, wrong one?

Tardis

I received this scanner from Amazon ($69.95) but I don't know if it will help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y8K6XZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has many items which reply not supported. It did not find any codes so I do not know if it will detect any if there is an issue. It does not identify the vehicle and says function is not supported. On Engine it says $12 which looks like I have to purchase more functions.

Is this the wrong scanner or does my 2002 Freightliner not communicate this information? It is not user friendly so far but if it is the AP200 which has been recommended here I will keep trying. I have an android phone and it accepted registration and the app loaded OK.

So far I can only show status with speed, temperatures, pressure at intake, etc. I thought the AP200 is supposed to give more detailed status of sensors.

I see on the description on Amazon that says to pair the bluetooth in the app. So I will try that tomorrow.

Thank you,
John

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Which 'Free' software did you download?

You need 'BENZ-Sprinter' to talk to T1N's.

If you downloaded 'Freightliner' or any other then that is incorrect.

Keith.

Tardis

I did find BENZ on one menu (Live Data I believe) and used that but it has very limited functions. It auto detected a vehicle and called it Eobd but all I can get is limited function. The DTC&FFD shows no faults but does not show any status on sensors. Most of the menus show unsupported.

I will see if I can figure out the bluetooth in the app as it says on the Amazon page.

Is this the scanner which I see folks recommending on the forum?

Last edited:

Tardis

Read these threads:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77100
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80195

They explain the issues and how to get "Benz_Sprinter" from the online store in the app (first one is free) and manually select your vehicle.

Regards,

Mark
Thanks Mark,
So I did not do the free download for the Benz-Sprinter. I thought that Eobd was my free download. So I have just 100 years from today to see if it works OK. Ha.

John

Tardis

Making a little progress now and learning way more about the vehicle than I thought I would ever want to know. So I ran the AP200 and it came up with 10 faults. Too many to investigate so I cleared them out and checked to see what would reoccur. A nice result now is that the electric locks work so I don't need to tear into the doors again. Yay!

I got 2 repeat faults on the 'Common Rail'. On the next page to that fault when I checked for codes I got one that says 'N3FFF (stored, Note: no fault)' and then 'MAF plausibility'. On my 2002 it looks like there is just a pressure and temperature sensor. Are those two used to calculate Mass Air Flow and Air Mass? Any ideas on what 'Current Injected Quantity' is? One thing that is strange is that with the new issues which reappeared it shows that the 'Odometer@fault' has only 25K miles.

Anyway I had a lot of oil on the MAF housing which I cleaned off. I tightened the hose clamps and replaced the o-ring to the temperature sensor. I still got the 2 faults so I got out the alcohol and cleaned more oil off the temperature sensor connector. At idle I am OK but after driving around a little I got the first message on this fault but it later says 'N3FFF (stored, Note: no fault)'. With that little bit of driving I did not get the 'MAF plausibility' fault again. I will drive it more and see if maybe just getting all the oil off the connector to the pressure sensor cleared up this MAF issue.

(A little more info on the Autel MaxiAP200 app on my phone in case it helps anyone else. After selecting Diagnosis I chose Sprinter, then Manual, then either 906.1 ... or YP, WP ... and then Auto to run the diagnostic.)

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
(A little more info on the Autel MaxiAP200 app on my phone in case it helps anyone else. After selecting Diagnosis I chose Sprinter, then Manual, then either 906.1 ... or YP, WP ... and then Auto to run the diagnostic.)
John,

Your T1N is not a 906.x but is actually a 903.x (a 906.x is an NCV3)

You may have more luck connecting through either the 903.x option or YP, WP, KWP option as you mention.

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
...' and then 'MAF plausibility'. On my 2002 it looks like there is just a pressure and temperature sensor. Are those two used to calculate Mass Air Flow and Air Mass?
The Mass Air Flow sensor (which also measures ambient temperature (separate from the dash-display sensor) is mounted against the air filter box.
Any ideas on what 'Current Injected Quantity' is?
That's how much fuel is being squirted into the cylinder for each firing.
One thing that is strange is that with the new issues which reappeared it shows that the 'Odometer@fault' has only 25K miles.
The chunk of computer memory that tracks that is only 16 bits, so it (re)cycles every 65536 kilometers. That's part of the OBD standard, not MB being cheap.

--dick

Tardis

The Mass Air Flow sensor (which also measures ambient temperature (separate from the dash-display sensor) is mounted against the air filter box.

--dick
Thank you Dick,

So I was on the wrong side of the intercooler.

My P0100-128 error shows up at different times. It does not show up immediately and takes a little driving. I first get a message N3FFF which it says is not a fault. Then after driving a bit and with some rpm I get the 'MAF Plausibility' fault. I figure I have to figure it out even though it does not seem to affect the way it runs. It could get worse and it may affect gas mileage or maybe temperature in the cylinder (which I think would be worst case).

I opened air filter box to remove the filter and saw the MAF attached to the lid. In replacing the cylinder head I kept bumping the wires to the MAF so that may be an issue. I also found a huge pile of debris below the filter which I cleaned out. New filter is on the way and I will check the MAF with a meter. I guess it would be good to run some CRC 05110 Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner into the MAF?

To test the MAF I saw one video that said to find and check the 12V supply and then to find a second connection that measures under 2V at idle and increases with higher rpm. Is this the right way to test it?

Thanks!

Tardis

I saw that with a MAF fault I should see sensor voltage >1.9V?
Is there a voltage to rpm to look for?
Are there other values I should check to see if they are within proper range?

BTW, I see units for the Air Mass as 23.7 mg/Hub. What units are 'Hub'?
Is there a correlation between Air Mass and elevation?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I saw that with a MAF fault I should see sensor voltage >1.9V?
Is there a voltage to rpm to look for?
Are there other values I should check to see if they are within proper range?

BTW, I see units for the Air Mass as 23.7 mg/Hub. What units are 'Hub'?
Is there a correlation between Air Mass and elevation?
One 'Hub' is one revolution or one firing event.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There is a LOT of information in this directory: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/T1N_service_scans/

Those are pages from the MB training manuals for the electrical and fuel systems.
A number of pages on the MAF sensor (and voltages/waveforms to expect).
(starts at file 094MAFsensor.jpg)

The "output" wires cannot be diagnosed with a simple voltmeter. (beyond "totally missing")
One (the temperature) is a waveform doing pulse width modulation ... the ratio of ON to OFF time is the "signal".
The other (mass) is sent as frequency ... a 50% duty cycle (on to off ratio), but at different frequencies.

The temperature line can be (kind'a) read with an ANALOG voltmeter, but a digital takes "snapshots" which won't give an accurate reading.

--dick
The temperature sensor on the "other side" of the intercooler is the Intake Air Temp sensor... the temperature (after turbo compression heating and intercooler cooling) that the cylinders are *really* getting.

Last edited:

Tardis

Re: Scanner Autel MaxiAP200, wrong one? Also, MAF Plausibility fault

OK, so I guess I will not be able to measure the MAF signal but maybe I can see what values are in the fault and figure if they are out of range. I suppose they are related to rpm (which the AP200 shows with the fault). Is there is a place to find these values and ranges it would be great. Are there known values for these?
MAF sensor flow
Sensor voltage
Air Mass
Current Injected Quantity

I saw in a Benz post that MAF Plausibility P0100-128 can be due to a leaking EGR not closing completely. Has anyone seen a fix for the MAF fault on a Sprinter to be related to the EGR?

Tardis

Re: Scanner Autel MaxiAP200, wrong one? Also, MAF Plausibility fault

I did clean the EGR (unfortunately used some oven cleaner so the AL has black stains now) but I suppose I may need to take it off again and try blowing through it when it is supposed to be closed.

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

2000 208 CDi MWB Bus & 2005 313 CDi 4mWB Crew Van
--dick
So is the “Ambient temperature” displayed on my AP200 the temperature of the sensor in the MAF?
I had thought my 50C reading could point to a faulty bumper ambient temperature sensor?
EA212E93-8254-4B12-A425-92D9DC037641.png

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm pretty sure you're seeing the "on the bumper" temperature as 50 C.

My Autel ap200 called the "thing in the MAF" the "Intake Air Temperature", and the thing after the intercooler as the "Boost Air Temperature".

2023-05-2combo.png

(that two-column image was created by merging two separate report images)

--dick

Franny

2005 T1N 158
I'm pretty sure you're seeing the "on the bumper" temperature as 50 C.

My Autel ap200 called the "thing in the MAF" the "Intake Air Temperature", and the thing after the intercooler as the "Boost Air Temperature".

View attachment 278240

(that two-column image was created by merging two separate report images)

--dick
That is odd, with the two different accelerator pedal values. Is it correct that, for safety reasons, the ECM requires both sensors to be same value? I thought it would shut down if the values didn’t match.

Franny

2005 T1N 158
So is the “Ambient temperature” displayed on my AP200 the temperature of the sensor in the MAF?
I had thought my 50C reading could point to a faulty bumper ambient temperature sensor?
View attachment 278139
Is the temperature on the yellow speedometer display accurate? If that’s goofy it’s the bumper sensor, I believe.
You can test this by unplugging that connector from the thermistor (under front bumper), pop a paper clip between the terminals, and see if the displayed temperature changes.

Mine failed a few years ago and required replacement.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
That is odd, with the two different accelerator pedal values. Is it correct that, for safety reasons, the ECM requires both sensors to be same value? I thought it would shut down if the values didn’t match.
I grabbed an image that showed the temperature sensors ...it may well have come from a "diagnose the pedal" thread.
"Ignore the messes behind the curtain"

--dick

Gwilym & Eddy the Merckx

2000 208 CDi MWB Bus & 2005 313 CDi 4mWB Crew Van
View attachment 278139
Replying to my own comment above to confirm, for anyone else this may help in the future, that my 50C temp reading was indeed that of a faulty bumper temp sensor.
I ordered a new one on-line for only £5 delivered and it is working well now. Perhaps I should order another as spare while they are so cheap to get hold of?

Top Bottom