3.2 Cummins Onan Diesel Gen Issues

Famaro

3.2 Cummins Onan Diesel Gen. owners. Model Number: 3.2HDZAA-6508B

I am providing this as first hand knowledge in order to assist those who may have these generators.
My generator has 104 hours. It will start and run fine, then the next try, it will not start and the only way to keep it running is to hold down the red (stop) button.

I had the coach in the shop for 2 weeks and was told its the circuit board.
Trying to locate parts: The generator has been discontinued.
The Onan circuit board part number is 300-6414 this part number has been replaced with A048W719. The circuit board is not available and I have been told it is projected 126 day build time (if built) and may no longer be available. In dealing with several generator techs and dealers I have been told this generator is "Onan's Problem Child".
The only replacement for the sprinter chassis at this time is the Power Tech 3.2 and I sure don't have $6000.00 plus.

I did not think I needed to research a generator prior to my purchase, but I will from now on.

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It's kind of surprising that Onan discontinued the popular QD3200 without having a replacement available, I would guess that an unexpected supplier problem necessitated withdrawing it. If that is the case then it could explain a difficulty in getting certain parts. Any diesel set is necessarily going to be more complicated than a gasoline or propane version but I haven't heard or read of the QD3200 being particularly troublesome. In any event I hope that Onan stands behind the product and doesn't abandon support, even if discontinued.

Famaro

I spoke with Thor and was told that they are using the powertech. I have also spoken with Winnebago and they tell me they have some in stock and are working with a Onan for comparable replacement. I wanted the diesel opinion as I had planned on using the gen more than hooked up to 110v.

BrokerDon

BrokerDon
Google search for "Onan 300-6414" showed:

• possible solution WITHOUT replacing your controller: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120278
• Onan 300-6414 board for sale: https://www.m-and-d.com/ONA-300-6414.html
• "ONAN 300-6414 is no longer available and replaced by ONAN 541-0770" which was available here: http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=541-0770

Let us know how you resolved your issue. We've got a 3.2 Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel generator in our 2011 Winnebago View 24K which has worked flawlessly so far although it only has 25 hours on it. Once we installed our 327W SunPower solar panel and upgraded our RV's coach batteries to Sam's Club Energizer GC2 232Ah "golf cart" batteries we RARELY use our generator, even when boondocking for days.

Famaro

Thank you BrokerDon. I found the links you provided. The wiring is good, the electric fuel pump and oil pressure sensor are not being energize when it fails to start, so it is believed that the circuit board is the issue.
The one link with the updated part number is incorrect. I have a parts book and have been in contact with corporate.

The control panel part number is 300-6411 now is new part number: A044U877

I will keep posting once I have found the parts or if a solution is found.

Last edited:

Famaro

I wanted to provide an update: I had to special order the circuit board and after 3.5 months, I received Kit Onan #Ao48W719. In the kit, I received a new circuit board, controller (that mounts in the coach) and a sensor which is like a glow plug. All is good for now.

cj11363

I had the exact same symptoms, but with a different problem resolution. I was about to order the A048W719 kit when I thought that this sure seemed a lot like a software bug, so I decided to reboot the controllers and, sure enough, that solved the problem.

On my 2014 Itasca Navion, 12 volt power for the Onan comes from the coach batteries, and there is a switch to toggle a disconnect solenoid for those batteries. I had gotten used to never using the battery disconnect switch, so the Onan controller(s) probably hadn't been rebooted in more than a year. I simply disconnected shore power, hit the battery disconnect switch, waited 10 - 20 seconds, toggled the battery disconnect solenoid again and the problem went away.

My recollection is that the control board mounted on my Onan QD 3200 generator showed "v3" and a 2011 date.

So now I need to remember to reboot the Onan controller(s) periodically....

--Charlie Jordan
Nashville, TN

Kingrocks

Reboot the generator? We are experiencing a similar issue, we just replaced house and chassis batteries, completed our 15 hour voyage from TX to FL without really having to use the generator, temps here are now in the 80's and we need the generator to keep our antique dog cool whenever we unplug from shore power ( we don't tow a vehicle) Members from other groups warned us against Camping World so we have located an Onan shop in Tampa that can get us in on the 2nd. Would love not to have to go to Tampa plus where we go Gallegher (dog) goes, not sure how that will work for him. So if you can let us know how you fixed your problem we will give it a try. Our View is a 2017 model. Cvgatorbait7@gmail.com
Thanks
King, Cheryl & Gallegher2

Asm109

2019 LTV Unity MB
Reboot the generator? King, Cheryl & Gallegher2

From the post previous to yours:

"I simply disconnected shore power, hit the battery disconnect switch, waited 10 - 20 seconds, toggled the battery disconnect solenoid again and the problem went away."

cj11363

I've discovered that timing is also import. I need to press the red button until the display shows "QD3200 ..." , and release the red button BEFORE the display shows "generator off".

cj11363

The battery disconnect switch on our 2014 J model is one of the 2 switches nearest the bottom of the coach door... Your model might vary, check your owners manual for details. You will know that you found the correct switch if the coach lights don't work after pressing it ( assuming that the engine and generator are off and that you are disconnected from shore power ).

Kingrocks

I've discovered that timing is also import. I need to press the red button until the display shows "QD3200 ..." , and release the red button BEFORE the display shows "generator off

After disconnecting from shore power do we connect back to the house (sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've learned to take nothing for granted :) before we start your process?

Kingrocks

I've discovered that timing is also import. I need to press the red button until the display shows "QD3200 ..." , and release the red button BEFORE the display shows "generator off".
Thanks for your help and guidance unfortunately it did not work for us, the Ginny made it the 1st try for 4 minutes then sputtered screen read "GEN CAL" . checked manual for what that meant, (GENERATOR CALCULATING NOT READY TO PRODUCE AC VOLTAGE WAIT A FEW SECONDS) the 2nd try ran for about a minute screen read "GEN alert" while shutting down I made sure the timing of start was when the screen read QB3200. We had the air conditioner, fridge tv and all lights turned off
We will get her into the Onan shop tomorrow a.m. unless a miracle happens
Thanks again

Winn Bago

What did you pay for kit A048W719? Did it solve your problem? I found a low tech solution, I folded a business card into a square about the size of the red button, stuck it to a 3 inch long piece of duct tape and use it to keep pressure on the red button. To stop the gen just release one end of the tape. I've ran the gen several hours now this way with no problem.

kumichael

I wanted to provide an update: I had to special order the circuit board and after 3.5 months, I received Kit Onan #Ao48W719. In the kit, I received a new circuit board, controller (that mounts in the coach) and a sensor which is like a glow plug. All is good for now.
hey I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem with my 2015 Coachmen Prism on Mercedes 3500 chassis. I'm curious if the onan kit ao48w719 resolved your issues? How much did the kit cost?

MarkW24G

Onan RV 3200 QD - would crank over quickly but not start.
As per message above "disconnected shore power, hit the battery disconnect switch, waited 10 - 20 seconds, toggled the battery disconnect solenoid again and the problem went away. " executed and solved problem.
Genset is being exercised in cold Philly weather.
Thank you for the forum participation.

rsockey

We have this genset in our 2020 Wayfarer. The original post that said it was discontinued is from 2017. So where did Tiffin get our genset? it only had 65 hours on generator when we bought the RV.

EngMarc

yeah, agree as I just purchased a 2022 Wayfarer new and it has a Onan 3200 in it too with only 5 hours on it mostly from me and now 8 hours on it after running it a few times a month.

Top Bottom