P0088 won't go away

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
I have a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with 95,000 miles on it. It starts fine and runs fine. But for the past few months I keep getting P0088 . I clear it with my scan gauge, but every time I start it P0088 comes back.

I bought this van last year when it had 52,000 miles on it. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet. Maybe that has something to do with P0088? I change the air filter often cause I live and drive in a dusty place.

Anyhow there has been no noticeable difference in performance since P0088 came up.

"If it's not broken don't fix it?"

Last edited:

maxzoom

Thanks for that link. There's some good information and links in there.

One other thing... I was about ready to change the fuel filter. Then I see the post... "Changed fuel filter, now runs rough... " That's the first time I heard of anyone having problems after changing the fuel filter. That's why I have second thoughts about changing the fuel filter. Anyhow I changed mine a few times. This time I'll just go slow and careful and tighten the hoses good.

Last edited:

marcusbest

I bought a 2005 T1N with 150K miles and had trouble with the P0088 code for a while along with P2601, low fuel rail pressure. I had a full service done when I bought my Sprinter, so the filter was changed, and also had the low pressure fuel pump replaced. Still got both fault codes. I then bought a new fuel rail and installed it with no results. So I took it to a reputable mechanic who replaced the high pressure fuel pump (which included the fuel quantity control valve). This solved the P0088 problem. If I were to do it again, I would've replaced the fuel quantity control valve myself before replacing the entire pump. That might have fixed it without the big expense $$$. I'm just glad that yellow check engine light has quit coming on!

The low fuel rail pressure issue was apparently related to a failing HVAC compressor.

Here are my threads about the problems:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71022

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75609

Good luck!

maxzoom

I still have P0088, But now, just a couple days ago, when pushing on the fuel pedal there's a noticeable slightly higher pitch sound when driving. The performance is still the same.

I just ordered "Fuel Quantity Control Valve 2004-2006"

https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=2277

Is that an easy do it yourself job? I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

maxzoom

"I still have P0088, But now, just a couple days ago, when pushing on the fuel pedal there's a noticeable slightly higher pitch sound when driving. The performance is still the same."

Problem solved. The van was getting louder and louder when driving. I trace it down to the air conditioner pulley wearing out. I just cut the belt. Now the Sprinter is sounding and driving normal.

Also P0088 finally went away! I have not yet installed "Fuel Quantity Control Valve 2004-2006". What I have been doing is trying "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with Injector Cleaners and Fuel Conditioners". I bought a couple 1 quart bottles . I've been double and tripling the amount recommended. Cause it says on the bottle "An over treat will not be harmful".

maxzoom

"I still have P0088, But now, just a couple days ago, when pushing on the fuel pedal there's a noticeable slightly higher pitch sound when driving. The performance is still the same."

Problem solved. The van was getting louder and louder when driving. I trace it down to the air conditioner pulley wearing out. I just cut the belt. Now the Sprinter is sounding and driving normal.

Also P0088 finally went away! I have not yet installed "Fuel Quantity Control Valve 2004-2006". What I have been doing is trying "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with Injector Cleaners and Fuel Conditioners". I bought a couple 1 quart bottles . I've been double and tripling the amount recommended. Cause it says on the bottle "An over treat will not be harmful".
There were two days of driving taxi, lots of turn off engine and start again and P0088 was gone. The third day P0088 came on and off periodically. Now the fourth day P0088 won't go away.

So not sure if Lucas is the answer, but I will try some more. And when the weather is better do a fuel injector test. Any other ideas?

AdamsT1N

I still have the Fuel Quantity Control Valve part and have not installed it yet. I wanted too, but it was too hard to get to without taking apart the front end. But check out this very helpful YouTube...

04-06 Sprinter Van Fuel Quantity Valve replacement- loss of power fix - YouTube
I actually ended up taking off the front end because the bottom bolt was stripped. Definitely possible to do it without taking off front end. Just use 1/4 small ratchet with t25 connection. Spray pb blaster on first though.

maxzoom

I actually ended up taking off the front end because the bottom bolt was stripped. Definitely possible to do it without taking off front end. Just use 1/4 small ratchet with t25 connection. Spray pb blaster on first though.
Thanks for the advice and especially spray pb blaster on first.

Top Bottom