Sick of restrictive expensive tech - farmers buying 40 YO tractors

Interesting article. Many farmers, especially small farmers, are struggling to keep profitable. Some technology has changed, but the basics of farming are often similar. Keeping older equipment going seems like a great idea to me.

They have kinda similar reasons as to why I hang on to my aging T1N's. The bones are good. The technology is not so far advanced as to keep a farmer from keeping it running. I'm also still running a 1985 sailboat. It still works fine in using the wind for propulsion.

:cheers: vic

flman

You can practically rebuild tractors for ever, especially the old reliable ones.

rollerbearing

Interesting article - not just regarding gaming consoles. I don't expect that shade tree mechanics will be repairing their vehicles much longer, but owners should absolutely have options beyond the dealer.

D

Deleted member 50714

Interesting article - not just regarding gaming consoles. I don't expect that shade tree mechanics will be repairing their vehicles much longer, but owners should absolutely have options beyond the dealer.

Big tech gotcha by the balls. Just wait til they yell cough.

rollerbearing

MrNomer just bought a new engine for his early 1970’s Snapper lawn mower he refuses to let die. He has replaced so many parts over the years, it's almost new.

Sounds like our clothes washer - there's a delivery tag on the back to my in-laws address - 1973.

In keeping it running over the years, I've read enough on the appliance forums about the modern units that I will make every effort to keep the old Kenmore going.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What the article fails to say is comparison in fuel consumption.
My estimate is that old tractor used twice the fuel new one does.
For the machine who works in the field for 10 hr/day fuel cost is 1 thing and delivering it is another.
Than how much retrofitting old tractor with GPS driver cost?

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
"at reasonable cost that does not disincentivize people from doing their own repairs. Failure to do this will be classified as a deceptive trade practice."

I hope this works out well and spreads to other states before John Deere gets out its checkbook.

Top Bottom