Looking for a definitive answer!

Spencermobile

First, thank you! This forum is an invaluable resource. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read or respond to help!

I have an 03 with the OM612 motor. I have to drive my wheelchair-bound stepson from New Hampshire to Indiana at the end of June and want cruise control before I go! I have spent quite a lot of time searching and reading here and elsewhere trying to get an answer. The MB dealer in Manchester, NH told me today that CC cannot be added to my van. :censored:

Does anyone know, with certainty, if an OM612 with ABS can be programmed for cruise?!?!?!

I already have the stalk and have read and printed the OM647 retrofitting document. I am ready to wire the damn thing but won't bother if it can't be activated!!

Thanks!
Cliff

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I've seen quite a few '02-03 om612 powered Sprinters with ABS here in the USofA with cruise control. I don't see why it can't be programmed. However, I personally have not programmed any ECUs for cruise control. I have been lucky enough for all of them to be plug and play. I assumed they were already programmed, but Dennis at Lindenengineering says he has run into some that are not plug and play. I don't think you will be able to get a definitive answer without installing it and seeing what happens.
I will also say that, unfortunately, you can't always trust the dealership techs. The guys who really knew our older Sprinters are mostly gone by now.

Last edited:

Spencermobile

Thank you both! At this point I'm leaning towards wiring it in and then worrying about getting it programmed. I bought an OE stick from a forum member so I'd better get started on the wiring soon.

lindenengineering

In the past we have found that about 10% of T1N Sprinters have the program already installed.

It is sometimes a chore to get the dealers to download this and many want quite a bit for the nuisance of the download plus getting an appointment in their shops .

We therefore have two alternatives to suggest .
We can download it in the shop using a J box from an MB/Mopar program like many independents or sometimes its preferable to simply send the PCM out to SOS Diagnostics at the start of the project & have bench programmed. Then its simply plug and play.
Dennis

Eric Experience

Cliff
I have fitted many cruise controls, all have worked straight of but have heard of ones that needed the ecu toggled to on for the cruise. Eric.

Spencermobile

Thank you Eric.

Dennis, I can't send it out because it's our wheelchair van and the only way to transport the kid. Do you have an idea what typical turn around time is when sent out?

Cliff

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Back in 2005, the om647 sprinters did not need reprogramming (big download), but they did require a Chrysler/Freightliner Vin-specific password to "unlock" the specific optional (read: extra cost) features ... such as cruise control, high idle, immobilizer, etc

--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Back in 2005, the om647 sprinters did not need reprogramming (big download), but they did require a Chrysler/Freightliner Vin-specific password to "unlock" the specific optional (read: extra cost) features ... such as cruise control, high idle, immobilizer, etc

--dick
In general this is referred to as SCN coding. Star systems can do it, and generally they just phone home to mercedes computer for the password. I am not sure if the OM612 can be SCN coded for cruise, or it requires a reflash?

Spencermobile

So...I'm slowly making progress improving the van. Pulled the ECU tonight to try to figure out where the pins go for adding the cruise. The arrow on the ECU shows the only connector that seems to have open spots in the correct pin numbers for the cruise wires. Does that look like the right ECU location to you guys?

Attachments

Spencermobile

I finally got the van scheduled at MB of Manchester NH this morning to have the CC activated. After two hours, the service rep comes back and tells me that their computer can't even "initialize" with the van. ?! He tells me that it needs to go to a Dodge dealer to be activated and for recall work. Apparently the van is subject to recalls for 1) Intake manifold replacement for carbon build-up affecting EGR 2) dome lamp 3) valve stems. I don't know if they're really not interested in having to do any of the work but I find it hard to believe that their computer can't talk to the ECM at all!

Top Bottom