Weird ..loose chain..ringing..type of noise on patholes under the van

doktorek

I noticed tha my and many other sprinters on the road I see make a weird metallic noise on patholes. Usually comes from the rear and it sounds like a loose chain hangung and hitting metal. It's like a little ringing. What is that?
Thanks

Bob Laps

I noticed tha my and many other sprinters on the road I see make a weird metallic noise on patholes. Usually comes from the rear and it sounds like a loose chain hangung and hitting metal. It's like a little ringing. What is that?
Thanks
My ‘17 3500 has it

Bob

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
That sort of sound is often associated with loose heat shields around the exhaust system. Take a look.

srt4ny

Mine did that when the little spring broak that holds the rear emergency brake pads in place it was bouncing around in there and making wird noises

Last edited:

riccog125

Mine did that when the little spring broak that holds the rear emergency brake pads in place it was bouncing around in there and making wird noises
Gonna have to check this out. I've searched for the mysterious rattle for years with no luck. Even paid the dealer to track it down while it was in for service. I was refunded when the sound persisted. '14 3500 170" DRW 2.1L

Jimbobspoots

Hey sounds like your rear axle “u” bolts that hold the axle to the chassis ! I had one loose and with the window opened going through town I could hear that chain rattle you described

riccog125

I'm pretty sure I just found it. It is the bracket where the rear brake line and 2 other electrical wires that are running through the bracket attached to the rear end.

Jimbobspoots

It could well be but if you still hear the chain like tinkering I bet you one of your “U” bolts is loose if you look just behind the wheel at the axle you will see a large U bolt it hangs down and there are two nuts the hold it in place it won’t “look” loose until you push it up from underneath there is two u bolts one either side of the axle! I spent two years looking for that rattle doh !!

riccog125

I'm pretty sure I just found it. It is the bracket where the rear brake line and 2 other electrical wires that are running through the bracket attached to the rear end.
Well that didn't fix it. It made a great deal of noise when I tapped it a good bit to simulate a bouncy road. Sound still persists. '14 3500 2.1L

Bob Laps

Well that didn't fix it. It made a great deal of noise when I tapped it a good bit to simulate a bouncy road. Sound still persists. '14 3500 2.1L
Lol...I hoped that was it...it hasn’t bothered me lately to look since I only hear it when my window is open and its now winter

Top Bottom