Need new 17” Tires Help

Just realized you have aftermarket wheels, no wonder you could install 17" tires.
They are much better for sure.

Last edited:

redlinesports

Hoping to tag onto this thread and get my question answered: I have a 2016 Sprinter 4x4, 144", and am currently running stock 16" wheels. In Colorado and mostly on highways and headed skiing. Would like the ability to drive on shabbier roads. What are the benefits and downsides of going to 17" wheels, and what are three tires anyone might recommend for my situation. Have been using Blizzaks in winter and they work great, but wear pretty fast. Thanks!

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Hoping to tag onto this thread and get my question answered: I have a 2016 Sprinter 4x4, 144", and am currently running stock 16" wheels. In Colorado and mostly on highways and headed skiing. Would like the ability to drive on shabbier roads. What are the benefits and downsides of going to 17" wheels, and what are three tires anyone might recommend for my situation. Have been using Blizzaks in winter and they work great, but wear pretty fast. Thanks!
For me the biggest benefit of 17” wheels is a larger selection of tires. I installed Faulken Wildpeak AT 255/80-17 (33.1”) which are not available in a 16” size. These all terrain tires are very quiet, snow rated, and come with a 50k warranty.

41A4C37F-922C-49D5-A1AB-90A9ECA8D2D9.jpeg2A34C9B5-87DD-4E24-A5B7-4839788B8C83.jpeg

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
How well do the Falken's perform in snow and ice? I've been very underwhelmed with the KO2 in this regard
I had KO2s followed by Cooper ST Max and now Faulken. Faulken actually has snow mountain symbol on them. Faulkens and KO2s about equal in snow for same size tire. But taller/narrower Faulken tires work much better in snow and ice. Coopers better in snow than both but uneven wear and noisy. Faulkens quieter than all and 50k warranty.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Hankook Dynapro ATM. Run them in whatever size you like. I run the Wildpeaks in 285/70R17 currently. I buy whichever I can get a better deal on typically.

Tires have ~ 25K miles in this photo, are probably 40% worn by my standards (I replace before I am on the wear bars as I frequent the Sierra, UT and CO and am loath do deal with shabby tires in the snow.

Even wear, quiet as the day they went on.

Exceptional off road, side lugs are stout and provide meaningful traction when aired down. Ive run these on numerous vehicles and currently also run a plus size on my wife's VW Atlas which has become a decent trail vehicle with the addition (nevermind the body and undercarriage damage ;)

Glamour shot!
Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Hankook Dynapro ATM. Run them in whatever size you like. I run the Wildpeaks in 285/70R17 currently. I buy whichever I can get a better deal on typically.

Tires have ~ 25K miles in this photo, are probably 40% worn by my standards (I replace before I am on the wear bars as I frequent the Sierra, UT and CO and am loath do deal with shabby tires in the snow.

Exceptional off road, side lugs are stout and provide meaningful traction when aired down. Ive run these on numerous vehicles and currently also run a plus size on my wife's VW Atlas which has become a decent trail vehicle with the addition (nevermind the body and undercarriage damage ;)

Glamour shot!

[/QUOTE

Do you have any issues with adaptive cruise control or distronic with the 285's? This is the brand and size I want to use to replace my BGF KO2 275/70R17 tires.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Hi,
"275/70/17 or 32.2 diameter is the max size that will work with adaptive cruise control"
I have seen at least one report of certain 285’s such as the 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT3’s working.
They are apparently slightly smaller diameter than most other 285’s.
If I recall correctly the info came from Shoreline Motors in HB.

Last edited:

CactusJackSlade

Glamour shot!
Is that on the way to the Crowley Columns overlook at Crowley Lake by chance? We drove a section that looked like that, I thought I would break an axle being on 2 cross opposed wheels much of the time!

OffroadHamster

Its not, its actually just up off of Ortega highway in Orange County after some idiots tore it up in the rain a few years back. The upper photo is grand canyon somewhere

Top Bottom