Low tranny fluid & RSN

SprintED

Well after about 5 trips to the dealership over the last year where I have had them check my RSN and make sure tranny fluid level is OK....I finally took matters into my own hands...AGAIN.

Had John and the crew at Upscale Automotive send up a tranny crossmember brace and dipstick. Also picked up up a $24 bottle of tranny fluid from Mopar and went to work.

Crossmember brace was a snap to install...the better your drill and drill bit...the quicker it goes, and took me about 10 minutes to do.

Then proceeded to check the fluid after the van was good and warmed up as per procedure from service manual...and sure as shootin it was down at the bottom of the dipstick.

Drove around without adding fluid first to see how the brace performed and it basically took out most of the vibration. I could still hear the sound of RSN but not the teeth chattering vibration. Noticed that some of the brief incidences of RSN were muffled to the point of not noticing them unless you really paid attention.

The shifting up to soon, engine lugging issue remained (as expected) .

Then added 500 ml of fluid to tranny and drove around somemore. Noticed a significant reduction in the amount and duration of RSN and noticed that the shifting issue is much less noticable. Feels like it may hang on a second or so longer before shifting up and the shifts are crisper. Also noticed that much less manipulation of throttle is needed to stop RSN

Will recheck dipstick tomorrow to see what the level is at and see if i can find someone who sells the Lubegard stuff mentioned in some previous posts. (not sure the stuff is even available in Canada...most good stuff aint!)

Bottomline:

1)Still have RSN but way more subtle, however can replicate at will just as always.

2) The NAG seems to be hyper sensitive to fluid level...NO Chev or Dodge tranny I have run in previous vehicles has ever ever driven differently when a tad low on ATF, or responded to the addtion of a mere 1/2 liter fluid. Cant say for Ford since I have never and will never own one.

3) Get your own dipstick!...dealership has insisted tranny level was fine as recently as two months ago. I suspect they either never check it when I ask or the poor grease monkey that gets saddled with this meanial task is less than knowledgeable on the proper procedure.

ED

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
What does RSN stand for and what are the symptoms?
Rumble Strip noise. It feels and sounds as if you were driving over the rumble indents on the edges of some highways. Except in this case it is caused by resonance inside of the transmission.

Top Bottom