Using Google vs the vbulletin (Sprinter-Source) Search

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Lately I've been using google to search sprinter-source.

The reason: it's easier for me and it might - or might not be - easier for others.

This is me doing a basic search for "starparts," using the forum's search feature.
1.JPG

Maybe there's a better way to use the search feature, but it returned one hit.
2.JPG

Now I use google, typing "site:sprinter-source.com starparts" in the google search text box.
I get 79 hits
3.JPG

.... just an idea....

-Jon

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks Jon.

I was about to integrate the Google search option into Sprinter-Source so that everyone has two options of search tools, but I had to leave for Hawaii. I should be back this weekend to work on it.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Google Search is added to the pull down menu (red arrow)...

search.JPG

Try it out. I know I will in the next few days...

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Just using Jon's search string of "starparts" garnered...

2 threads using the vBulletin built in search, and

7 threads using the Google search.

For some reason the 2 threads that were found in the vBulletin search do not appear in the Google search and vice-versa. :hmmm:

I do like that the fact that Google parses strings imbedded in links.

Sully's post got me wondering why he didn't find the used Sprinter inspection tips post. A search using "used Sprinter" in vBulletin didn't turn up my used Sprinter inspection tips until after the first page. The Google "used Sprinter" search had it as hit #2.

Not to create more work, but can the "www.sprinter-source.com" be set as a default in the Goggle search box? Thanks Jon and Sikwan. AP

Just using Jon's search string of "starparts" garnered...

2 threads using the vBulletin built in search, and

7 threads using the Google search.

For some reason the 2 threads that were found in the vBulletin search do not appear in the Google search and vice-versa. :hmmm:

I do like that the fact that Google parses strings imbedded in links.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
id like to know jon why your using that system hogger internet explorer :idunno:you should try firefox instead much better:thumbup:
and with the numerous add ons it leaves the ie dinosaur in the past.:popcorn:

max..........:spam:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The forum has some unusual features, depending on which search engine your on, and which gateway you enter the site.
As there are no less than five primary servers on the site, hosted by Hurricane route IP66 220.0.0/19 AS 6939 NSI HE Net 1.2.3.4 and 5

Chatter box does not show up on two entry points as to goggle bot advertising the main one sprinter-source.com direct entry behaves perfectly very little issues as to erratic behaviour, or slowing down on the heavy threads! without strings not completing.

The search tool unless the words of the existing thread one is looking for are 100% accurate it either will not show a link, or will show possible links. Goggle search rarely fails, and shows the thread you are looking for.
If you use the link who's on-line as to an entry point there is problems with the server as to what appears to be peak traffic stateside or a fault with inter fazing between search engines.
So far the goggle search provides the right information and no problems with erratic behaviour.
Richard

SP (Custom).jpg

SP1 (Custom).jpg

SP2.jpg

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
id like to know jon why your using that system hogger internet explorer :idunno:you should try firefox instead much better:thumbup:
and with the numerous add ons it leaves the ie dinosaur in the past.:popcorn:

max..........:spam:
I often use Sprinter-Source with the 2007 NAFTA Service Manual open.

The service manual is encumbered with Active-X.

Send me a PM with a link to an add-on which will allow Firefox to display legacy content designed to continue/promote/enforce Microsoft's hold on my computing choices.

-jon

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
any ms product is weighed down with unnecessary garbage mostly spy-ware and paranoia to almost render it useless look at vista a bloated excuse for an os which needs 4 gb of ram to run wheres linux and other similar os can run in a fraction of ms requirements which can have xp running within its self.

check out firefox for yourself also the wide range of on the fly and seamless add ons.

Peeping Bill
Microsoft is now using its WebTV boxes as an in-house consumer data-gathering tool -- with "in house" defined as "in customer's houses." Microsoft polls WebTV boxes nightly to collect customer web surfing and viewing habits -- statistics which in turn are sold to advertisers. But there's more: When the first Window CE television cable boxes hit the market in 1999, they will invite Microsoft's prying eyes into at least 5 million additional homes, and will be armed with an even more comprehensive ability to track customer viewing habits and report them to advertisers. ¿Mi casa es su casa?

As reported in USA Today (Link no longer functioning, but also reported by ZDNet).

ISPs Must Serve Microsoft:whistle::turd:
Whether they like it or not, Internet Service Providers must immediately install Microsoft's Front Page Extensions on their web severs for all of their Windows 98 customers, or place their businesses at serious risk. Why? Because if they fail to install Front Page Extensions, Microsoft Front Page Express users will be greeted by a Web Publishing Wizard "error message" strongly suggesting that they take their business to another provider.

Only days after this situation was revealed, Microsoft promised a correction. According to a spokesperson, the deceptive error message "was in no way a deliberate action by Microsoft."

Thanks to Shiloh Costa at MDI Internet Inc. for unearthing this outrage.

max.............

Attachments

What do you mean by default?
Sikwan,
Sorry for my poor choice of words. I mean so that the Sprinter-source site text is already there in that search box. That way it would automatically include Sprinter-source in our search and we just add the key words we want to search for.

Not a big deal, but it seems typing "www.sprinter-source.com" every time could be avoided. Isn't the Goggle box there just to facilitate searching Sprinter-source? I don't imagine anyone will use it for general searches.

Anyway, my intention is not to increase your workload, so maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. Thanks. vic

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Sikwan,
Sorry for my poor choice of words. I mean so that the Sprinter-source site text is already there in that search box. That way it would automatically include Sprinter-source in our search and we just add the key words we want to search for.

Not a big deal, but it seems typing "www.sprinter-source.com" every time could be avoided. Isn't the Goggle box there just to facilitate searching Sprinter-source? I don't imagine anyone will use it for general searches.

Anyway, my intention is not to increase your workload, so maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. Thanks. vic
Vic I don't know how your search engine set up, but if you use the search box Goggle all you have to do is type a word like EGR. the results come up time and time again.
as to Goggle search. In fact the feature Seek has kindly put in, has almost made the old search trolling tool redundant. It's extremely efficient.
Richard
12g (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ok, I see what you're saying.

You DO NOT need to type "sprinter-source.com." You type in the search word as if it was the vBulletin version of the search. The Google box in the pull-down menu is programmed to do searches only within Sprinter-Source.com (Forum and Wiki) and not outside. Try it. Also try some obscure word unrelated to Sprinters and nothing will be found.

Only in Jon's example, where he went to Google, you have to include the "sprinter-source.com" string.

parkerbarrow

THANK YOU ALL for your contributions to this!!!
:clapping:
I spent the better part of an hour first trying to find a post with the procedure for replacing my high-pressure pump and then just searching for a service manual. It was through the results of these posts i found the google search post, which gave me a manual link on the first go! Then I came back & read the whole string and found the google drop-down on this site - FANTASTIC! And yes, I already confirmed that you only have to include the words 'search sprinter-source.com' if you're searching directly from the google window, not from inside the forum site.

Since you'll end up here there's not really any reason to go to google first, just come in & use the google search from the drop-down. However the up-side of the original post is that I'll use this for other searches and am sure it'll save me a lot of time in the future.

Regarding the question about making a default search -- it's probably possible with the firefox browser to add a search box link to either the forum's google box or to just specify a search criteria for the google browser to begin with 'search sprinter-source.com' (without the ' ' marks). I've got to get under the hood so experimenting with a custom firefox search box will have to wait unless one of y'all want to get on it!

Again -- THANK YOU!!!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Firefox and it's fly will direct you to what you want nothing else is required as firefox is integrated with the forum
How you type words in for a search will show different results with the forums standard link :search!
Example one type words high pressure pump this shows.
hp (Custom).jpg
Example two type the same words high pressure pump under the forums search tool for goggle search this automatically shows it equally also shows advanced search for the forum so the search feature integrates with each tool for advanced searching via the forums archival feature posts that need the exact or almost exact words to locate the thread or threads. It works quite well as goggle shows better results I think.
hp1 (Custom).jpg
Richard

Top Bottom