Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

Comparing "build and price" functions at dodge.com and dodge.ca, we can see huge price differences for vans and options, mostly favouring US customers, but some options are cheaper in Canada. Why such differences, does anyone know?

The current exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.06 CAD, virtually one for one. But here are the prices in USA and Canada, in respective currencies (first price in USD in USA, second in CAD in Canada):

Light group: 130 - 220
Security group: 750 - 2,785
Curtain airbags: 600 - 1,330
220 Amp Alternator: 360 - 975

But:
Bi-Xenon lights: 1,350 - 300
Luxury seat: 160 - 105
Aux front heater - 1,235 - 700

However, almost all options are cheaper or MUCH (2-3 times) cheaper in USA.

For the encore, the most popular van is likely to be 2500 Cargo Van 170 inch WB, High Roof, Package A:

USA - 37,525 USD
Canada - 51, 235 CAD - Ouch..................................

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Been through this before with Mercedes-Benz playing games with Canada and cross boarder transactions with the US
Fact one the Dodge is linked to the US dollar then converted to Euro then back to Canadian Dollars sort of Lonnie tune affair going on there.
US tax breaks for local labour content and lower tax both on sales and income tax with personnel kerep costs down you do not have a fair free trade agreement with the US, the US does not have VAT TAX WHERE THERE ARE TWO OF, ONE IS HIDDEN .WITH SEPARATE PROVINCIAL TAXES
CANADA DIRECT IMPORTS THE SPRINTERS FROM EUROPE. Blame it on Steve.
Think smart buy the local sprinter with extended warranty coverage , then buy the options direct from the states and save a bundle
Richard

mattl

The reason is because the MSRP's are based on a stronger US and weaker Canadian dollar. 10 years ago it was the reverse, all the cars were cheap in Canada. Today all the cars (almost every model) is cheaper in the US than Canada.

For example, just got a '07 Sprinter 3500 chassis-cab for $32k, new off the lot in Vermont.

But there are hidden fees. First you get duty on the vehicle as it is German (Canada/US/Mex made cars are duty free). Then $200 "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" fee. And out-of-province inspection fee from your province.

That's about it. Of course you have GST, PST, the stupid $100 aircon tax, etc but you'd have to pay that anyway. (you'd also pay duty but this is hidden in the price).

The "local work" is only on the cargo van models. There is a 25 % duty in the US for such vehicles! The Sprinter with seats only gets a 2.5% duty like a passenger car (from Germany) so they don't bother to take it apart and put it back.

Now WHY are the xenon lights over $1000 cheaper in Canada?!

Last edited:

sleepywheel

The huge difference in just the base price is what's keeping me from going out and buying a Sprinter. I've tried negotiating with Carter Dodge but they won't budge from the MSRP and Maple Ridge Dodge doesn't seem to be too interested either. When I asked the guy at Carter why the big difference in price, all I got was silence. He didn't say a word until I started talking again, talk about a pregnant pause. I hate the idea of being voluntarily screwed by paying the inflated Canadian price so I guess my other option would be going to a GM van cutaway and put a box on it.:idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
When are you going to wake up!

Price fixing! anti competitive behavior, between cross boarder trading. Dealers have their hands tied on this issue, as they are under threat of supply, or being dis - enfranchised. On a previous forum MB Canada.com there was a twenty page full documentation, on cross boarder transactions with manufactures colluding to collude with dealers to fix the price of vehicles~ in Canada, by up to ten thousand dollars. If your so concerned:rant: act and complain to the dealers out right, not to the sales rep! He has to walk a tight-rope, as he has one hand tied behind his back, and the other!! down his pants:shhh: so send your concerns to the regional managers, write to your local news papers, and ask
"WHY IS CANADA BEING RIPPED OFF"

Write! or email the local representative, opposition is a vote counter they love it.

Ford is dead so is GM and you know it, so stop the complaints and "ACT". Quote under the Sherman's anti-trust trade act. It is illegal to collude... to fix pricing... and or manipulate the end price, by monopolizations of a singular unit. Warranties can be transferred between countries, and or boarders, on a written case by case decision, if you know how to execute to commit to it.
Damlier Chrysler has been fined twice since 1999 millions of Euros, over price fixing and collusion between cross boarder transactions direct form Europe and, from anti competitive behavior from the US side back into Canada.

"History repeating on itself"
1999to 2002 the US was going nuts buying from Canada as to it being cheaper with the value of the US dollar as compared to the Lonnie Tune dollar doing it flip of a poorer value, over two hundred thousand vehicles were exported back into the states many were stolen or re-birthed from changing VIN plates many folk had them repossessed by finance companies and bailiffs.
It's been the opposite since January last year as to Canadians wanting to do the same buy in the States as to the higher value of the Canadian dollar, government are loath to help you out as it effects the local auto industry and the Canadian economy.
But in retrospect you are being charged up to ten grand for a Sprinter to be specific more than a local Sprinter, in fact you pay the same price as elsewhere in the world.

This type of thread. has come up many times over the last three years, especially in Canada.

There is one valid point of pricing as to competition?

Sleeps look at the United States, it has a population of 330 mil and approx 10 mil illegals.
Canada has a population of 33 mil and a few local folk along with a fair percentage of would be Americans wanting to claim Canadian citizenship.
The U.S is very competitive and works to-wards volume sales at discounted pricing lower margins mean more sales, in theory.
Canada has as England does, swings on a yesterdays margin of top end retail pricing structures,
Normally there is a better warranty, in the case of the Sprinter! OK It's not a level playing field.
Richard

on3.jpg

09.jpg

sleepywheel

I'm not sure if you're post was referring to my post but I'll answer anyway. I'm sure there is some price fixing going on and I've been complaining about it to two dealerships which in return are no longer returning calls to me. They don't want to hear my complaints at all. There have been many letters to the editors in the local papers about pricing and it goes nowhere. Read Tony Whitneys (automotive tester, writer, etc.) latest blurb about why the difference in pricing and you wonder why he says what he says until you read at the bottom that he's representing the local car dealerships.

Tony Whitney, Special To North Shore News
Published: Friday, August 10, 2007

In many regions of the world, especially Asia, the Middle East and Russia, vehicle prices are even more dramatically higher than they are here. Sometimes there are valid reasons for this -- small markets, costly transportation, currency challenges and so on. But the fact remains that as car buyers, Canada gets off very well, mostly thanks to a very competitive marketplace and discerning buyers who just refuse to be overcharged.

Right now I get a lot of queries from readers about vehicle prices in the United States, and why in some cases they are lower than in Canada. Although our cultures are similar and all kinds of products flow back and forth across our borders, we mustn't forget that America is a "foreign country," with its own economic structure and market forces. With the car-buying population being what it is in the United States (i.e. vast), there are bound to be lower costs associated with vehicle distribution. Also, there are large chains of car dealerships in the United States run by corporations with bulk-buying privileges, while in Canada, we still enjoy large numbers of smaller, family-run businesses. Not long ago, prices of some vehicles were lower in Canada than in the United States due to our then-weak dollar, and many Canadian individuals wasted no time in doing a little horse-trading and shipping vehicles south of the border to make a quick profit.

The fact remains that we are lucky here to enjoy a highly competitive marketplace as far as vehicles go and can continue to amaze friends and relatives in Europe and other countries when we tell them how little we have to pay for our cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks.

Tony Whitney is a noted British Columbia automotive authority and author. He writes this article on behalf of the New Car Dealers Association of British Columbia.

Soon after this article appeared, a reader wrote in with examples of differences in prices between European countries and ours to show that we are paying more and that Whitney's article was misleading. Of course nothing more was said.

All in all, I don't have the time or the energy to go chasing down politicians and researching to make a case. If big fleet buyers like BC Hydro don't mind paying the fleet price without complaining, DC sure isn't going to listen to me.

Richard, what do you mean Ford and GM are dead? They seem to be doing pretty well around here.

The one saving grace out of all this is that my brother-in-law is a Sprinter mechanic at a dealership and he's going to see what he can do for pricing. If he can't do anything, I found that I do qualify for fleet pricing, which, hopefully will be better than MRSP.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Richard, what do you mean Ford and GM are dead? They seem to be doing pretty well around here.
I think GM and Ford will surprise everyone and survive. In other barely related news, the millionth Duramax left the factory recently.

Sled pullers and dyno-daemons love tuning and tricking those things until they tear transmissions and axles to bits.

The market for GM diesel seems pretty healthy. For the Sprinter to be anything other than a very cool eccentricity, 132,000 units per year (re)assembly plant throughput isn't going to damage the market share of Econoline and the GM lines.

The only business that has a bigger presence than GM commercial is Starbucks (it seems! hyperbole the bestest ever!!).

If my GM cargo had fallen apart on me I sure wouldn't have waited as long as I am waiting for a Sprinter. I'm unusual and I know it; as does GM since they're betting only screwballs like me will wait around for a special order. In a way, the reason I'm getting a Sprinter is because my current rig will not die. It's given me the luxury to wait for what I really want.

Dead? No. Inferior for my needs, yes. Do I want GM cargo van? No. Can I have one? Sure. Can I have one in a year or two or seven? Absolutely. GM loves that outdated, head-crushing, back-twisting, knee-wearing design. GM ain't dying any time soon. They're just make inferior products. That's no death sentence. Terrible marketing and a lack of "impulse purchase" stock is a lot worse than substandard engineering.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Sleepywheel yes the post was in reference towards your posting. First point you must remember Canada was and to a large degree still is part of the Commonwealth structure by old out-dated laws not changed. this is based on anti competitive behavior from US based companies it still applies to day Canada is not part of the US goggle a night map from space all lights show Canada looking in on the US Population dictates it can not compete on a level playing ground. look at Older GM products from the sixties as an example Pontiac 1966 had wide track wheels The same in Canada used 1955 Chevrolet chassis and suspension with 253 and 327 engines I am ex Canadian and know too well how disadvantaged Canada is as opposed to the United States with anti-competitive behavior towards Canada it has never changed and may not untill you get a government that is prepared to act, look at Alberta and what this is costing Canada today in lost revenue US controlled they pay less than one percent royalty to wards cleaning up the environmental mess that will impact on environmental issues with Alberta. with using your natural gas and water to produce Gasoline for the US, 30 percent is sent directly to the states from Shell Canada. You do have an old system with a higher tax impost it varies between provinces , where Canada was the largest auto manufacture in the world for export to commonwealth countries and it's territories it has today almost collapsed as to the same issues of the US not upgrading since the early seventies , you now are paying the price of poor governmental decisions from the past.
Warranties are usually higher in Canada as opposed to the States, the catch is how the sprinter was licensed for N/American export... see your part of the United States! But by border designation, your a foreign country, as far as the States is concerned, and a dam nuisance to them as Canada has the wealth, it wants for free.. timber. Minerals and water, produce etc. the list is endless. and cheap labour in different provinces you have those who have, and those who have not. Technically the Sprinter should be sold via Mercedes_Benz as an imported vehicle direct from Germany but your caught up in the politics of how it's been programed via the previous DCX group who were supposed to know best.:lol:and what a joke that turned out to be. Legally you can import a Mercedes Sprinter, with full warranty of country exchange to the same standards as you have in Canada, but try and bring it in and see how far you get, If you have the political connections it's not a problem you can do it, but as an individual forget it.PS mods have to be done for Canadian compliance.
I understand your frustration but that's the way the Cookie crumbles etc, Don't blame the dealers, they really have their hands tied on this one, and again it's top end management that knows the rules, the sales folk in most cases have not a clue, brainwashed and poorly educated by management's.
Your best shot is buy in the US register it there .and bring it in and have it serviced back in the states, border hopping is common if you can bother, some dealers in the states will sell direct but it's not supposed to be that way. Sorry your stuck between the Canadian Rockies and a hard hard road on that one, it sucks OK! but that is why I left the country a long time ago it had no prospects, and nothing has changed in thirty years except IT'S gone backwards in many provinces.
Don't take me the wrong way, I love Canada, but for what the promise once held! which is why, my Home is down under.
We pay as much as you do for Sprinters, work it out if you can :thinking:, population and competition , your imports of Sprinters in to Canada is a ten minute smoko break on a late Friday arvo' as far as Benz is concerned , they dumped America, and went to China :thumbdown: as much as I love my Mercedes... that really is hitting below the belt.
Richard.
The photo is getting old, but this is a genuine Pontiac Canadian Parrissiane it runs a 398 Cubic inch block triple cabs and goes like hell had it sent over in CKD form in 1968 highly modified too.
Sales in Canada are less than Australia and we have the lot including Vito's engines tans missions etc, but not cheap by a mile, then again we earn more too per annum Dollar wise$$$$$ Sales for Sprinters in the US are still dropping by the month so work it out somethings up and that means Mercedes is controlling the export volume to keep up the higher prices Cerberus is just the under dog, you'd be surprised just how much influence Daimler AG has in the US sector these days, they may have dumped Chrysler but not the profitable sections of their business interests. In a nut shell you pay the true price for a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter in Canada, my sugestion is to not buy a local make such as Ford or GM they have no future left especially with Ford, they still have no new plateforms for 2010 those older units have to be off the road by then, that is they can no longer sell them in the current make up as to not metting both enviromental emission standards or safety aspects.
Sprinters hold thier VALUE.
RICHARD
PONTIAC2 (Large).jpg

Jazzmanrocks

Hello - we've just found your group and are very glad! We live in BC and were looking at Sprinters -- of course being so close to the US border we checked out prices there...and were stunned to see the difference in the MSRP. So, back we went to the dealers in BC and got the same indifference as some of the other members on this list. We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honoured. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Jazzmanrocks,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't answer your questions except that I just read on another forum of a person who buys late model trucks in the US and drives them to Edmonton to sell. He reportedly makes $8,000 to $10,000 per transaction. I guess he doesn't worry about the warranties nor does the buyer.

Hope to see you enjoying the fun here in the future.:clapping:

Hello - we've just found your group and are very glad! We live in BC and were looking at Sprinters -- of course being so close to the US border we checked out prices there...and were stunned to see the difference in the MSRP. So, back we went to the dealers in BC and got the same indifference as some of the other members on this list. We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honoured. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honored. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.[/quote]

Well hello Jazzmanrocks, welcome to the forum.
In effect you answered your own question, took the sprinter back to the country of origin from where it was purchased , and the warranty was honored.

As I have stated above in previous posts stands! and is fact, it is illegal under the Sherman's act for anti- competitive trading to price fix, but what can you do.:idunno:
There are ways it can be done , one is dual citizen ship then you have cross boarder warranty being honored.
Have it registered in the US ,in a relatives name:shifty: but you have to drive out of Canada to keep out of trouble with Canadian authority, just to keep the unit in compliance to the law, as a non Canadian resident status.
Of course I understand where your at, especially with price differences.
Repeating myself on precious posting's was not that long ago when the Southerners were a knocking on your door buying imports to bring them back Stateside , "because the Canadian dollar was so low in value",! Now the tide is turning and off Goes the Canadians to the cross broader buying trips to the Local Westfield shopping center to buy on a spending spree, because the Lonnie is now worth $1.8 cents to the Lower US dollar and it's still going up through the roof , thanks to your strong economy based on the mineral wealth sector.
Previously The Sprinter was in partnership with both DB Hence DCX.... The license was fixed it had to be sold via Chrysler's outlet, event though the Canadian Sprinters were fully imported from Germany the down side You pay Canadian tariffs on importation where the US does not , You pay a higher GST ration where the US does not have a higher impost on sales tax, There is also local provincial tax a double tax whammy That does not occur in the US , Canadian Sprinters have the top end emission standard US had it on only five sates so they had two engines but with different emission standard's , that changed towards the end so all is equal there now, You may have a had a higher quality Sprinter, many small variations are showing up on the older model 902 903 series Sprinters.
Now that 2007 has finally hit home base Chrysler no longer owns the Sprinter or shared in it , the rules start to change.
This is a headache that won't go away this time around.
Governments are ducking for cover on this one... Mercedes-Benz Sprinters should be sold via a Mercedes-Benz outlet and serviced by the Benz outlets, there is no logical reason for them to handled by an independent franchisee in the States, such as Chrysler.Dodge or Freightliner.
However the limited amount of Sprinters sold in Canada would cost local MB dealerships a fortune to take them on with only one single line up of very limited Sprinters it's more trouble than they want.(financially it's not viable)
To do it Canada would have to have the whole range of sprinters and options run Vito's as well to do this the cost of the range would jump another 30% in Retail pricing because export Sprinters are set up on a limited production line US orders x amount in bulk with a stand-alone warranty it's not an MB warranty! They pay for warranties on the US side from profits.
So a full MB warranty of three years two hundred thousand kilometers is a lot higher than any sprinter can get in the states the warranty is marginal and extended warranty's cost lots of dollars to take it into the 5 to seven year range.
Today in Canada you can buy imported goods less than you could three years ago , this is hurting the local economy in many sectors especially automotive which is a huge factor on the employment and tax revenue base for the Canadian sector money goes round.
You have tariffs in place to protect the local automotive sector this does not help with prices in compassion to local versus imported.
Nor does it help Canada for export of it's produce
there are many equations as to what is right and what is wrong, not a level playing field for locals that are not really sharing in the wealth generated by the mineral sector that really forces up everything in Canada from needle nuts to building infrastructures.
Stop for one moment in time and think what would happen if every one did the boarder walk to the US side and bought every thing at the other side. Great for the US economy!... What happens to the local economy it would have no sales , local business would fail, people would be placed out of work, no work no money goes around , in the simplest rules of economics the whole economy would collapse.
However Sprinter prices should fall The discrepancy's are too high between Canada and the US but this is the same world=wide everyone pays and pays for the US side , because we all used the US currency as the main trade of exchange. lately the rules have changed Europe Australia Japan UK have moved away from the US as it continued to spend and spend, Now the evidence is clear for all to see the results of decades of indecisions .
And it has not stopped There are days to come on the US side! where hurt will continue on the local folk , your economy will continue to grow as it is everywhere else, that in part cushions the negatives of higher inflationary presses for locally made goods.
I am ex-Canadian I was there when Canada was nothing but a basket case, But I come home and each time I see the changes, some are good many bad, I see old business gone with the wind I see Canadians forced out of homes because of Asian clustering "My Home IS Vancouver" not that many locals left, are there:idunno:.
Work it out, either support the local economy or put some one else out of work.Its not as simple as Mr and Mrs average Thinks it might be big business and Governments are answerable, only time will change it.
Richard.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hum hit your quote button and ended up editing your thread,:thinking:
Yep Bill that's me and my Mo Joe. long since parted.
But the lips and eyes of blue remain , I'm just older and grumpier, and I wann'a thump, some Government official.
I still bring my lady out after mid-night and we hit the mountain roads, 'to ride the black top untill the dawn,. then we drift on back into today , History after hours is where I'd rather be.
Richard

Jazzmanrocks

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply - but you've made it as clear as mud to me :)....To clarify I was specifically told by the Canadian Dodge dealer that if we purchased a Sprinter in the US - that once we drove it across the Canadian border the warranty would be void. That it would NOT be honoured in either Canada or the US. As I mentioned we have purchased two vehicles from the US already - one has a Sprinter chassis (the View). The warranty was and has been honoured by the US dealer. We bought our View two years ago. So, when the Cdn Dodge dealer told me the warranty is Void in Canada and the US - I wanted to make sure he wasn't bs'ing me. So, can you please clarify this question for me?

I surely do appreciate the time you took to answer me.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK you managed to get through what I has said.
To refine the question warranty further.
Quote; You have heard of the term Grey imports?
It means certain parties turn a blind eye to the law in the proper context.:thumbup::bash::thumbdown:
Hypothetically... If you buy in the US and have it tagged in the US register as a permanent resident with an address to match in the United states then you have full warrantying the States. If the van goes to Canada and requires service the warranty can and will be honored BY DCX as Canada is part of the N/American sector, there is paper work involved but you do have coverage inside of the total areas of N/America how else do you get to Alaska?on a road of course.
So if your van is tagged in the us you can have it serviced on a case by case basis, the dealer won't know this but will lie his head off because he knows a sale just went South, this is called collusion to collude. He could be held accountable for this if he had full knowledge of how it works.
Here comes the tricky bit Dealers in the US from DCX at the time this is a US division not MB on the German side.
Official memos have been sent to franchises not to sell Sprinters to the Canadian sector. or risk losing the franchise this is same in Canada do not sell to the US customers same deal with MB outlets.:shifty: 'shifty 'Buggers'
step back to 2000-2202 when the reverse occurred
this caused many issues with sedans being taken back into the states many were stolen and re birthed or sold whilst encumbered to a third party many did not meet emission or safety standards right down to not having MPH on speddo front end bumper compliance Vin plates not in the right place or even fuel tanks not being compliant to tires , the list was enormous so the Canadian Government cracked down on it , but under political pressure from The US side.
Honda had factories in Canada and the USA so they allowed it for warranty to be honored both sides, they did withdraw but still to this day Will look at the position depending on circumstance on a case by case sale. Porche has full warranty transferee between boarders not a problem , so there you have different reasons by separate divisions, either allowing a full warranty transfer case by case limited but fair and a flat out refusal to honor the warranty. If the vehicle was sold in the states it's like a gentleman's agreement the dealer will service and cover warranty after all he sold a vehicle he was not supposed to!, "A bucks a buck," with some dealers so turning a blind eye is known on the boarder side of two countries, living on the one block of real estate.
My guess is your US tagged so the warranty remains valid even though it's not illegal but well the reasons are there for you to see.
If it's Canadian registered how the heck did you pull off that one I know the costs involved you end up saving only a few thousand and it's just not worth the time as there is no warranty any way.
BUT, But here is the second trick that RV is Canadian plated so it has to be registered on the Canadian side if your a full residential addressee in Canada as a Canadian citizen. irrespective of which side you bought it on as it has a separate Canadian compliance plate the manufacture who sells to the US agreements will work together to complete sale, the state is happy they get tax revenue and just rubber stamp it the dealer does some dodgy paperwork and your off laughing good deal but you have to travel to have it serviced not a good idea if its breaks down in the middle of the Canadian our back where there ain't friendly folk with foreign makes.
Cargo vans we come back to the same deal they will sell if their budgets are not on target and it's a gentleman's agreement you have limited warranty but you take the risk. as that van is US registered too.
Here is my advice weigh up the pros and cons of it, find dealer who will play the game you save thousands, there is a risk if the Canadian DOT get involved you can find yourself in trouble if it's found out you have breached Canadian law on imported vehicles. the risks are low, but if that Canadian dollar continues to climb in value, and the US either stays as is or drops further , Then and only then with the Canadian sector hit back, if their economy starts to suffer because of cross boarder transactions. You have customs bring in a certain amount is allowed under the free trade agreements but trust me it's one sided on that one.
All I can say is if you set it up and go ahead with it, go back to that sales rep and look him in the face and say thank you I have a better deal elsewhere sooner or latter those Vans will have to drop in price and the only way it will happen is with the Government taking notice of lost revenue
Canada has tariffs in place to protect local manufactures which are US owned. they were put there for one reason only! to get around local tariffs and for export, into other Commonwealth Territory's.
2007 The rules have changed, the laws are outdated, let the vehicle manufacturing industry sort out it's own mess. The negative is the huge damage, it can do to Canada's economy.many provinces rely on manufacturing.. lose 10 thousand workers and the ripple effect is five fold. No growth No economy=recession and mortgage defaults , the US in in it now.. Canada would follow if it does not enforce it's own borders this is a two way street with all traffic heading down on the southern outlets. Simply put the dealer is lying:thumbdown: but he has his hands tied by his boss:idunno: and his boss relies on the franchise, it can be with drawn or discounts for inventory bulk buying can be reduced,from head hunters at the top end of town:thumbdown: I wear two hats , I personally favor the working class. but I'm not a fool! there has to be a balance. .
Richard

Jazzmanrocks

If it's Canadian registered how the heck did you pull off that one I know the costs involved you end up saving only a few thousand and it's just not worth the time as there is no warranty any way.
BUT, But here is the second trick that RV is Canadian plated so it has to be registered on the Canadian side if your a full residential addressee in Canada as a Canadian citizen. irrespective of which side you bought it on as it has a separate Canadian compliance plate the manufacture who sells to the US agreements will work together to complete sale, the state is happy they get tax revenue and just rubber stamp it the dealer does some dodgy paperwork and your off laughing good deal but you have to travel to have it serviced not a good idea if its breaks down in the middle of the Canadian our back where there ain't friendly folk with foreign makes.

In fact, our vehicle was purchased at a dealer with full knowledge that we are Canadians, and had every intention of importing the vehicle into Canada - heck, they even helped us with the paperwork to import it (they said they do it all the time). Second, THERE ARE NO MODIFICATIONS that we had to pay for with our View/Sprinter - Everything was perfectly fine - we had to put the km sticker on it (which is a decal), and THAT was it. It cost us about $250 (Cd) for the Canadian Tire mandatory 'visual' inspection...that is a TOTAL rip- they didn't look at anything, basically walked around the vehicle and took our Visa with a smile. In fact, we saved $27,000.00 Cdn buying our View in the US over buying a Navion (they don't sell View's in Canada - but the Navion is identical and the do sell that in Canada).
I can honestly say that, I am a very patriotic Canadian - and I support our Cdn econonomy thru purchasing many things - But what I can't abide by - is being ripped off by the car mfrs-- The Canadian car dealers have had a free ride for a long time - In fact, I would have not minded paying a bit more to get the vehicle in Canada - but the Sprinters I've looked at at rought 60 to 70% more expensive in Canada ---- This is highway robbery....and I don't care what anyone says -- hard working families deserve to be treated fairly -I shouldn't have to support the folks working in the car industry in Canada at the expense of being robbed by their employers. (Can you tell I'm a little PO'd about this?)
So, I have a friend in the US that is more than willing to buy the vehicle for me and then sell it to me - so I can avoid the dealer altogether. I'm thinking I might just go this route....will keep you all posted as to how it all goes.... Thanks again Richard, you've got a lot of interesting info to offer on this topic!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Yor more than welcome I said I wear two hats and well I
said it.
It's the same down under but in fairness no one works for seven bucks an hour not even kids, neverless I have questioned Benz on this one as to what is happening in canada , , the price can't come down , but the toys are included for free in January 2008, not that they expect the sales to increase much further as local interest rates go up our econamy is just too ho,t thanks to mineral exports.
Let us know when you get your newbie and tell me how much you did save so a few more folk can toddle off to the other side of tinsle town, for the year round Christmas treats! maybe Steve will wake up.
Richard

AlbertaBear

Jazzmanrocks!

I have been lurking here for a loong time, since I too plan to get a Sprinter shortly. Comparing Us prices to ours make me sick, I wish to order one that cost 51-52K US, but in Canada,,,,,,,,,, 70++K.

The kicker though is that on the "riv.ca" site when you check for permitted vehicles in to Canada,,, each Mercedes require a head office confirmation faxed as proof of compliance, and I wonder if this a way for them to Not let us import them.

As far as warranty I am not really too worried, with an upfront saving of 20K.

I am heading to the Philadelphia for a week soon, and I may just have a family member buy/order one, and buy it from them and drive it used across the border. May even registerit in Delaware for a week to keep everybody happy.

Bjorn

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Mercedes-Benz v Dodge Freightliner two different set ups
Sprinters are not sold via Mercedes_Benz in Canada but through Dodge Freightliner outlets.
just to bring a Bent Benz into Canada costs Ca $500 at your local Benz franchise just to look at it then they charge like bulls to bring it up to compliance MB in US is different to MB Canada.
The last Sprinter to head into Alberto was this time last year he saved 7200 on a standard LWB 2005 Plated Sprinter . went through the same exercise found a dealer to deal paper work dodged up rubber stamped of he he went back through the by roads on a US tagged Sprinter he jumps borders every three months just to keep it legal.
Imagine all of the Canadians buying over the boarder :shifty:man all hell would break lose on that one, Yeah Go for it, but watch out for the State Troppers cover your rear end on everything , just to keep the ball in your court.
Richard

rvdriverca

Sprinter
Super Moderator

Posts: 2,250 Re: Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes-Benz v Dodge Freightliner two different set ups
Sprinters are not sold via Mercedes_Benz in Canada but through Dodge Freightliner outlets.
just to bring a Bent Benz into Canada costs Ca $500 at your local Benz franchise just to look at it then they charge like bulls to bring it up to compliance MB in US is different to MB Canada.
The last Sprinter to head into Alberto was this time last year he saved 7200 on a standard LWB 2005 Plated Sprinter . went through the same exercise found a dealer to deal paper work dodged up rubber stamped of he he went back through the by roads on a US tagged Sprinter he jumps borders every three months just to keep it legal.
Imagine all of the Canadians buying over the boarder man all hell would break lose on that one, Yeah Go for it, but watch out for the State Troppers cover your rear end on everything , just to keep the ball in your court.
Richard

Richard: by federal Canadian law, as a Canadian with a Canadian drivers license it is illegal to drive a US plated vehicle in Canada. Cheers cl

Top Bottom