Feet Don't Touch The Ground

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
No kidding. I'm 6'4" but the wife is 5'1" and with the comfort seats and power adjustment her feet only touch the ground comfortably with the seat base tipped forward.

There is a ~3" shorter base, but does anyone know the following;

- can the shorter base be ordered with the comfort seats and all the convenience/comfort pkgs? 144 passenger

- if not, do the bases have the same seat bolt patterns allowing me to swap?

- is there any possibility of something under the seat keeping me from swapping to a shorter base? My guess is that I can't add a second battery under a short base, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof

Attachments

cacaw

... There is a ~3" shorter base...
Is it possible to find anywhere? And how difficult would it be to swap out the driver's seat base, with all the electronics in there?

I'm anxious to install swivel seats but don't want to add another 1.5" to the seat height. (There is a 1/2" high swivel coming out, but it looks like it will be some time before they're available.)

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
Is it possible to find anywhere? And how difficult would it be to swap out the driver's seat base, with all the electronics in there?

I'm anxious to install swivel seats but don't want to add another 1.5" to the seat height. (There is a 1/2" high swivel coming out, but it looks like it will be some time before they're available.)
MB sells the short bases, but I think the main issue is that they only come in one color, so you still have to get them painted. This is why one of my requirements was MB factory seat swivels. You can purchase all the parts to do it yourself, but it was something like at least double the price for just the components, and then you still have to do all the work and get the bases painted.

From what I gathered, the only swivel seat that is even close to MB factory quality was the Alpine, but they aren't crash-tested or something. The factory swivels turn so smoothly, you don't have to open doors or be careful, and they don't make any noise/rattle, etc.

430 hp 70

Thanks for the replies. It's going to be her daily driver so I need something permanent for both driver and passenger sides. I thought about raising the floor, but I need to look some more in to how it would affect the pedals.

IIRC, the power seats have ~3" of height adjustment and the lower base is 3.25" lower. The max height with the lower base would be very similar to the lowest height with the high base. This would be optimal.

Has anyone changed bases? I don't mind painting them, but does anyone know their cost?

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
Thanks for the replies. It's going to be her daily driver so I need something permanent for both driver and passenger sides. I thought about raising the floor, but I need to look some more in to how it would affect the pedals.

IIRC, the power seats have ~3" of height adjustment and the lower base is 3.25" lower. The max height with the lower base would be very similar to the lowest height with the high base. This would be optimal.

Has anyone changed bases? I don't mind painting them, but does anyone know their cost?
Looks like about $200 each for the up to 2018 model, not sure if that changed with the 2019's. Here's a blog about someone changing theirs, with some good info.

https://sprintervanusa.com/2016/07/29/lowering-the-seat-bases/

Mickyfin

I believe there's a company in the EU that makes aftermarket seat bases which the short version is one of them.

HeabberScebber

No kidding. I'm 6'4" but the wife is 5'1" and with the comfort seats and power adjustment her feet only touch the ground comfortably with the seat base tipped forward.

There is a ~3" shorter base, but does anyone know the following;

- can the shorter base be ordered with the comfort seats and all the convenience/comfort pkgs? 144 passenger

- if not, do the bases have the same seat bolt patterns allowing me to swap?

- is there any possibility of something under the seat keeping me from swapping to a shorter base? My guess is that I can't add a second battery under a short base, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks
Did you ever figure out a solution to this? I am also vertically challenged like your wife and I find it to be painful to drive long distances with my feet just dangling.

430 hp 70

Unfortunately we never made the change and she's gotten used to it. I did remove the plastic handle off the front of the seat that allows for extra thigh support. I don't believe all the seats have this but it was rubbing her legs.

Motormad

I change the seat bases for both driver and passenger seat when I fitted the MB swivels. Search for other posts that include full details including part numbers.
The swap itself is very straight forward, just make sure you disconnect the battery before disconnecting any of the airbag or seatbelt plugs

Chaski

Anyone know if MB will cut you a fresh VIN sticker if you swap seat bases? I always thought it was weird that the VIN is on the seat base, but it is.

Motormad

Anyone know if MB will cut you a fresh VIN sticker if you swap seat bases? I always thought it was weird that the VIN is on the seat base, but it is.
I think there are 3 locations for the VIN, so wasn't too worried about the seat base sticker. However, I am sure MB can supply (for a suitable sum) a replacement if required.

HeabberScebber

Unfortunately we never made the change and she's gotten used to it. I did remove the plastic handle off the front of the seat that allows for extra thigh support. I don't believe all the seats have this but it was rubbing her legs.
can you instruct me on how you removed the handle on the front of the seat?

Top Bottom