Espar's HYDRONIC Coolant Heaters

Boater

That might be reason enough to go with MB certified installer for a new van then :frown:

None of that matters for me, mine is 16 years old and came full of aftermarket holes and wiring and stuff that I have been gradually improving (although not much since I started trying to get the engine running better, figured that was more important).

Had a bit of spare time this afternoon so had another go at diagnosing the problem with my D2. Rechecked all resistances, initially thought there was a problem with the controller negative until I noticed I had the probe on brown at one end and brown/white at the other :doh:, I then checked the fuel pump which is supposed to give 10 ohms but I read 0 ohms so suspected a short circuit. Tried applying power directly to the pump and could hear it click so partly dismissed that idea. Finally tried jumping red to yellow in the main connector block and it went into normal startup and lit first time. My controller is a type I can't find any documentation for, it has an on/up button, a down/off button and an arched temp display, nothing else, no ventilate button, yet when i switch it on using the controller the unit goes into ventilate mode. Definitely time to buy a decent controller - I think a 701 7 day timer would suit me best. Oh, I also need a better multimeter!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
...well... there you have... my work is done here... so I'm off to the Paladies... as they've become undisciplined and run out of pies again... :bash:

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
I have question as to- how to operate espar-can I use it while driving, or only when van is parked? Kind of worry about, I always turn it off when I start drive.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Zig

cahaak

You can use it while driving, press the cernter bar that is in the far right climate control circle. It will fire up and stay on until the coolant temp gets up to 179 F I believe and then go into standby mode and refire if the coolant temp drops down again. Basically used to keep the engine temp up - useful when driving around in town in the winter.

Chris

When I was deciding on the hydronic vs airtronic the opinion at the time 3 years ago was that the airtronic dries out your mucous membranes more than the hydronic [nose, lips etc] and the hydronic was more comfortable for our bodies systems. I haven't heard this mentioned recently when the discussion has come up. I never installed it and it has been on sale here for quite a while. New in box, D5 with timer and wiring harness and espars' 24volt to 12 volt converter included. This comes in a bullet proof steel case for mounting under the floor and does not protrude below the frame when bolted in. Being in socal there is not much call for it and if I could defeat the temp range restrictions in my 06 I could get the one that came in my van to do enough to warm up some chilly mornings without firing up the motor and be able to maintain it too by being able to run it occasionally which I am not able to do presently. It must be nice to be able to use this when needed. No timer in the van just the rest button. I also went with an Ecotemp tankless water heater for the independence and portability it offers for heated water uses so the hydronic isn't going to be used here. I thought the 24 volt would be good to save even more current use since I have agm's for storing energy. Selling with or without the converter depending on how you want to power it. $850 for the D5, espars' cost for the converter $400 and change which seems twice as high as some others but at the time I went with it thinking it would best match the heater. Thanks to all here.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
When I was deciding on the hydronic vs airtronic the opinion at the time 3 years ago was that the airtronic dries out your mucous membranes more than the hydronic [nose, lips etc] and the hydronic was more comfortable for our bodies systems.
:doh:

If both are keeping the environment at the same temperature, and both use a heat exchanger that passes through the same air, is impossible for one to be 'dryer' than the other? :shifty:

Perchance your hydronic is leaking and giving off steam?

Sorry if I wasn't more clear Orion. I have never hooked up the hydronic D5 as it is still new in the box nor have I been able to run the unit that came with my 06 under the left front headlight. When looking for info years ago the info I found was as I stated so I have no personal experience with either one. If I am under the wrong assumption that the airtronics tend to dry out our mucous membranes more than the hydronics then I stand corrected if that is indeed the fact. Thanks to all here everyday for your generous contributions. I know I need to defeat the operating temperature range for the unit on the van in order for me to be able to fire it up occasionally to keep it in working order. That is my dilemma, that and selling the new D5 I was writing about. Thanks all.

glas1700

I know I need to defeat the operating temperature range for the unit on the van in order for me to be able to fire it up occasionally to keep it in working order. That is my dilemma, that and selling the new D5 I was writing about. Thanks all.
I think you said that you have an 06 van. If so and you have the MB installed ESPAR, it should start and run in any temperature as long as the engine coolant isn't up to normal operating temperature. I've started and run mine many times in the summer when it's warm outside.

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
I think you said that you have an 06 van. If so and you have the MB installed ESPAR, it should start and run in any temperature as long as the engine coolant isn't up to normal operating temperature. I've started and run mine many times in the summer when it's warm outside.
yep ... temp control of above 39 degrees started in 2010

Last edited:

Neil2

Neil2
I've had/used a D5 Hydronic since 2009 and am happy with it in most respects. Since my RV conversion includes a kitchen I chose the Hydronic but I've never really used my kitchen so it turns out I'd have been better off with the Airtronic to date. If/once I begin cooking inside that could/should change overnight.

My furnace is mounted underside outside so the clicking and turbine like sounds are not conducive to my lifestyle (urban stealth) but I managed to just use the system when I felt I wouldn't compromise my identity (in OR and WA states). Sometimes I wonder if mounting the furnace inside the engine compartment where my factory aux battery would normally be located would be less problematic since any passersby would just assume the noises were my engine systems. :hmmm:

Top Bottom