Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
N. Coast

Default easy fix for water leaks on side body panels

What do you think... will this work?

N. Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N. Coast For This Useful Post:
feynmanfan (06-05-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,028 Posts
Default Re: easy fix for water leaks on side body panels

It's not a 'perfect' solution, whereby water can still get in from the sides.

What concerns me is...
Adding the vinyl trim to the top of the molding may loosen or increase the space between the clips and the the body allowing more water. Plus, the trims have been known to rub-out the paint from vibrating/rubbing and the insert may increase the rubbing on the bottom.

Removing the trim and using sealant on the clips is 100% effective.

Last edited by OrioN; 05-30-2019 at 10:32 PM.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
SD26 (06-01-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
pfflyer

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
It's not a 'perfect' solution, whereby Water can still get in from the sides. What concerns me more is, the trims have been known to rub-out the paint from vibrating/rubbing, and adding the trim to the top increase the rubbing on the bottom....

Removing the trim and using sealant on the clips is 100% effective.
Does removing the trim and using sealant eliminate the vibrating/rubbing? I had my lower cargo panels off after 4 years and I saw no evidence of water infiltration causing any problems. I understand the problem if you insulate but if you don't is it really a issue? This method if it eliminates the majority of the water seems like a lot easier than removing the trim.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis

Last edited by pfflyer; 05-30-2019 at 06:30 PM.
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer View Post
Does removing the trim and using sealant eliminate the vibrating/rubbing? I had my lower cargo panels off after 4 years and I saw no evidence of water infiltration causing any problems. I understand the problem if you insulate but if you don't is it really a issue? This method if it eliminates the majority of the water seems like a lot easier than removing the trim.
To stop the rubbing which had removed the paint down to metal and started rusting, I removed a minimum 2mm of material from the back of the top and bottom of the trims which increase the open space and make the trim float better.

Red: Sticky hole covers that fell off and allowed rain to flood in.
Yellow: Rubbed out paint & rusting.
Green: Clip holes that wept.

20170914_092750-900.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
Mickyfin (05-31-2019), SD26 (06-01-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
pfflyer

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,249 Posts

So just removing and resealing does not stop the vibration? Surgery needed or you went a step further to make sure? I wonder if the 80/20 gasket in the video would still rub away paint. I don't think it would be a good idea to gasket the whole bottom but maybe intermittent pieces, if the gasket doesn't rub off paint, at the bottom to allow any water that gets in to escape. That would take care of the rattle and I doubt any water coming in from the bottom or sides would make it up to the trim clip holes. I might have to see if I have any rubbing issues like in your picture.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
kcshoots

This is a good idea. I just put the tip of the chalk tube over the clips from the inside of the van and squirted chalk onto the clips from the inside, no need to remove the body panels and the chalk pushes from the inside to the outside of the clips and holes.
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kcshoots For This Useful Post:
Dongoose (01-05-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
GSWatson
2013 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshoots View Post
This is a good idea. I just put the tip of the chalk tube over the clips from the inside of the van and squirted chalk onto the clips from the inside, no need to remove the body panels and the chalk pushes from the inside to the outside of the clips and holes.

You canít get to all of the clips from the inside. Itís a simple job to just pull the panels and caulk the clips. I did a whole 144 in a couple hours.

Cheers,
Greg
GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSWatson For This Useful Post:
SD26 (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #8
feynmanfan

The clip seal has been on my todo list (I bought a 2018 six months ago). This trim solution looked interesting so I bought a small piece of trim.So here are my thoughts:
1. There is a pretty large gap between the body and plastic trim, top and bottom. I suppose there could be paint abrasion on other vans, but looks like plenty clearance on mine.
2. I slid a piece of 80/20 trim in the top gap in the only orientation that made sense. I think a different profile may work but this one is not easy to "fit" and not very secure. Notice how easily he installs and removes.The fellow in the video was candid about this approach and I give him credit for that but clearly planted the seed.
3. So I have two approaches to look at, both I frankly prefer to calking the clips. That will be my fallback.
a - Find a traditional "christmas tree" extruded trim that fits. This is my first choice. I'll share if I find one. There are literally hundreds available online/in stock to choose from.
b - Calk the top gap only. Non hardeniing, will not attack the paint, long life, and available for calk guns. The other criteria is it adheres (not bonds) to the plastic. That will be the trick depending on what it is; ABS, PE, PP, etc). Any guesses what plastic it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door trim top.jpg (94.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg door trim bottom.jpg (96.7 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 80 20 rubber gasket.jpg (96.5 KB, 189 views)
feynmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feynmanfan For This Useful Post:
dynaco1 (06-14-2019), michaeldorian (12-10-2019), SD26 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feynmanfan View Post
The clip seal has been on my todo list (I bought a 2018 six months ago). This trim solution looked interesting so I bought a small piece of trim.So here are my thoughts:
1. There is a pretty large gap between the body and plastic trim, top and bottom. I suppose there could be paint abrasion on other vans, but looks like plenty clearance on mine.
2. I slid a piece of 80/20 trim in the top gap in the only orientation that made sense. I think a different profile may work but this one is not easy to "fit" and not very secure. Notice how easily he installs and removes.The fellow in the video was candid about this approach and I give him credit for that but clearly planted the seed.
3. So I have two approaches to look at, both I frankly prefer to calking the clips. That will be my fallback.
a - Find a traditional "christmas tree" extruded trim that fits. This is my first choice. I'll share if I find one. There are literally hundreds available online/in stock to choose from.
b - Calk the top gap only. Non hardeniing, will not attack the paint, long life, and available for calk guns. The other criteria is it adheres (not bonds) to the plastic. That will be the trick depending on what it is; ABS, PE, PP, etc). Any guesses what plastic it is?
There are only a few pressure points between the trim and the paint. Thermal expansion/contraction plays a role. I'd check the whole length of each trim piece. Secondly, it appears later model year trims had a revision to mitigate the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrioN For This Useful Post:
feynmanfan (06-01-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #10
MN170

This weekend, I just used Sikaflex 221 on the clips and re-installed them. Waited a day and put the side molding back on.
MN170 is offline   Reply With Quote