Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
512Westy

Default Rear Door Rust

I noticed some dirt & grime at the rear door gasket, and when i tried scraping it out, soon realized that it was more than grime. Moisture held in the gasket channel had created corrosion.
I checked the service manual and the parts schematic to see how the threshold assembly was put together and began taking things apart. this is what the rear door threshold looked like prior.

I am always hesitant to tear clips and retainers apart, not knowing how they actually fasten, but I was able to pry the 6 or so clips up with a screwdriver and they just snap out and back in so no worries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door1.jpg (50.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg door2.jpg (47.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg door3.jpg (49.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg door4.jpg (50.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg door5.jpg (42.1 KB, 103 views)
512Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
512Westy

Default Re: Rear Door Rust

So after removal of the threshold, one can see the corrosion damage. I used a variety of scrapers, sandpaper, and wire brushes to remove the rust and get down to solid metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door6.jpg (40.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg door7.jpg (40.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
512Westy

Worried about loosing too much metal to hold the gasket, I was relieved when finished to find the gasket is held fine with the remaining channel. Painted the area and re-assembled and now know to watch this area in the future. I was really pleased with how well the random silver spray paint matched the original paint color. You may want to check this area in your camper to see if you have corrosion here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door8.jpg (46.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg door9.jpg (55.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg door10.jpg (52.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg door11.jpg (55.9 KB, 97 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 512Westy For This Useful Post:
autocamp (05-16-2013), secobarbital (06-19-2014)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
autocamp
un-bastardized NAFTA JC

Thanks for sharing this. I would also check mine. BTW, the foot step under the synthetic pads on the front entrances also tend to have hidden corrosion.

Brunnhilde - 2005 westfalia nafta james cook built on 2004 t1n
Isolde - 1989 vanagon westfalia camper GL

- vince
autocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
GoJohnGo
Road trip!

If you run into rust issues again, I recommend POR-15 Rust Preventative Coating. I used it on the battery box of one of my cars, and the finish is not only beautiful, but results in a ceramic-like surface that seems impervious to rust and just about anything else.
GoJohnGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
grozier

Thanks for sharing this experience.

I took a look at ours recently (and I'll preface this by saying that we have the rustiest Westy I have ever seen and one of the rustiest Sprinters I've seen) and we had relatively less damage than the photos above.

On the underside of the channel for the door seal is a body seam that you'll need a dental mirror to see. Ours has plenty of rust that would develop into real rot. I used a dremel-type tool with wire brush to clean this area; access is not good. A really poor design because of course water and grit is going to accumulate there!

I followed the clean-out with a zinc-rich primer, waited a day, then a coat of Brilliant Silver Metallic. After a week or so I will reinstall the seal and use Owatrol once, then Fluid Film periodically, to maintain this area.

If you have any early signs of rust, these products can slow it down. No affiliation, just impressed with them and had not heard of them before moving here. See http://www.owatrolusa.com/index.php?...ts-owatrol-oil and http://www.fluid-film.com/.

Ted