05 Sprinter not charging.

kawracer

05 2500 Sprinter is not charging. There is not any voltage at the alt sensor wire. Ran a jumper wire from battery to sensor wire and alt puts out 14.2 volts. After removing jumper alt still put out 14.2 but if turn off ignition and restart sensor wire is dead again. There is not any trouble codes and the batter dash light is not on.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
The wire that gets the Alt to produce runs to the dash/gauge cluster and nowhere else, follow it back from the alt and make sure it is not broken.

kawracer

It works correctly after I jump from the battery and remove the jumper. Then it has the same voltage as the battery until turning off the engine.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Does the battery light come on and then go off with the light test sequence before starting the engine?

What are you scanning for codes with? A basic OBD will not talk 'Sprinter' and give the codes you need. Suggest getting a Sprinter specific reader such as Autel MD802/MD808 or AP200 BlueTooth dongle. See the 'Scanners' sub-forum for more details.

Keith.

koenb

The alternator is self sufficient once it's up and running. The signal wire is only active during the initial part of the cycle. Hence why it stays active once you remove the jumper. If the visual inspection is fruitless, ohm out the wire for an open and or short.

Edit: see diagram for pin-out at the IC and wiring.

Attachments

Last edited:

kawracer

The battery light does come on and then go off with the light test sequence before starting the engine. It does not come on when not charging.

I have a BlueTooth dongle that shows the codes.

kawracer

Problem is fixed. Found the signal wire was not making connection. I do not know how it ever did as it was crimped on the insulation and the internal wire did not touch anything.

Thanks for the replies.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Thanks for the report ... it really does help people to learn that causes can be very obscure and well hidden before they spend buckets of (fruitless) bucks on new alternators, instrument panels, etc etc.

--dick

Top Bottom