Oil leak, just as things were sailing along smooth.

altide8

I posted this in the T1n Facebook group but though I would post here also.

I am just recovering from shattering my knee. I’ve been wanting to address this leak for some time. Just now able to crawl under the van and see what it’s doing.

Now I’m trying to track down an oil leak. I tried to provide as many pictures and angles as possible. It seems to be coming from just above the ac compressor. I thought it could be the oil cooler but it looks okay. When I look at it from below it doesn’t really look like it’s coming from the oil cooler. (By what I can see at least. Let me know what y’all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I just replaced my oil cooler yesterday. the mechanic said it was just old age.
I just noticed a small leak.

altide8

I just replaced my oil cooler yesterday. the mechanic said it was just old age.
I just noticed a small leak.

Where did you notice the leak? It’s just odd to me that I see most of the oil running down the left side of the ac compressor. (If you’re looking at it from the bottom) when the cooler is more on the right side

altide8

Maybe the front crank case is leaking at the top?? Oil cooler is my guess but if you can rule that out.

I can’t fully rule it out. I just can’t see it leaking, when I look at it from the bottom. Also it is leaking down the left side of the compressor when the cooler is more on the right side.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I just noticed it on the ground a bit left of center front. the mechanic pinpointed the issue.

B

billintomahawk

Altide,
I have an '02 612 so I might not be much help. What year is your van?
Is the driver's side the left side?

bill

glasseye

Resizing your images to forum standards would go a long way towards improving their forensic value.

1000 pixels in the long dimension makes them viewable on all displays. :thumbup:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I second resizing closer to 1500px max width or lower.

Hard to tell, but I think your oil cooler gasket it leaking. You need to determine if its starting at the cooler, or above it at the valve cover or head/block interface.

Its a 15$ part if I remember. You need to be very clean when replacing, as the oil passages are exposed. There is some stuff in the way, but if memory serves, its a bolt off, bolt on affair. You will need to drain your cooling system prior to removal.
How bad is the leak? If its under 1qt every 500 miles, you can probably leave it for a while.

altide8

I was in the process of cleaning things up and noticed a constant leak around this bolt. It is right under the power steering reservoir. The weird thing is, it’s not leaking from the other side where the oil filter is.

altide8

Resizing your images to forum standards would go a long way towards improving their forensic value.

1000 pixels in the long dimension makes them viewable on all displays. :thumbup:

Sorry about that I’ll resize it when I get home.

altide8

As suggested here are the 2 recent photos in 1500 width.

The leak is pretty consistent under the power steering reservoir as I was cleaning. It is running from behind the torxs bolt in the photo. I do not see any leaking on the other side of the reservoir, towards the oil filter.

Attachments

c.helmick

2005 Sprinter 3500
I too would like to know if this was ever resolved. I have leaking oil in all the same places and I think its the oil cooler/oil cooler gasket, but its so hard to tell. Seems easy enough to replace, so I was going to do it this weekend and hope it fixes the issue.

altide8

I too would like to know if this was ever resolved. I have leaking oil in all the same places and I think its the oil cooler/oil cooler gasket, but its so hard to tell. Seems easy enough to replace, so I was going to do it this weekend and hope it fixes the issue.
This ended up being the small lines on the high pressure pump. This is a pretty common problem. Mine looked like oil because of the fuel running down the dirty engine.

Top Bottom