heated windshield question

IPT

Seems to me that the wiring for the heated window is embedded in between the glass plys. So it should be OK to mount a state park sticker inside the windshield and safely scrape it off every year, yeah?

IPT

Oh how I envy the heated windshield equipped people here!

Sticker removal should be no issue.
Living in Alaska this was a no brainer for me. SO far it is well worth the extra wait time to get the van I wanted (not off the lot) outfitted the way I wanted. With the height of the these rides, and the 6+ months of snow, ice, and frost up here, I just new this had to be in my option list.

I haven't to pay for a replacement, though I'm sure the day will come. It's so worth it thus far. It is really quite effective!

Montucky

I waffled about whether I should get this option, and now I regret it every time I crawl up on to the hood to scrape ice! If I could go back in time, I'd pay twice the option price!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
When it's icy I definitely appreciate having the heated windshield, although using it kind of means you're cold-idling your van as it'd be unsafe to drive anywhere with the windshield iced over. If you sleep in your van the inside of the windshield can ice up as well, and the heated glass does melt both sides.

One major downside is that the tiny wavy wires are visible and are kind of annoying to look through, especially in bright sunlight and at night when they cause a starburst type effect. If you wear glasses then you get visual effects from both the glasses and the windshield which can be distracting..

IPT

When it's icy I definitely appreciate having the heated windshield, although using it kind of means you're cold-idling your van as it'd be unsafe to drive anywhere with the windshield iced over. If you sleep in your van the inside of the windshield can ice up as well, and the heated glass does melt both sides.

One major downside is that the tiny wavy wires are visible and are kind of annoying to look through, especially in bright sunlight and at night when they cause a starburst type effect. If you wear glasses then you get visual effects from both the glasses and the windshield which can be distracting..
I've found the de-icing via the windshield heater is pretty darn quick. So far, any cold idle has been quite short while it does it's thing.

I was worried about the visual aspect too, because I read from others they didn't like it (a photographer). Truth is, for me I couldn't even see it at first. It was only after having the van a few days and the sun hitting it just right, that I saw it. Since then I see it a little more often. It's never been enough to be annoying (for me at least), and I have not experienced the glare you mentioned. Though I am due for a new prescription on the specs so maybe after that I'll see it more! For now, I'm more than glad I have it :thumbup:.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I idle maybe 5 mins and my windshield is defrosted and my heater booster has the inside warm...
“one major downside” visible/annoying wires ?? I haven’t noticed the wires at all, day or night....
for conditions here in Ak, it is a GREAT option to have, my rear door windows are also heated...

Farfrumwork

Love my heated windshield as well.

FYI on replacement cost... My van was caught in a nasty hail storm that broke my windshield in several places. Replacement cost was $1000 installed (insurance paid). The glass itself was ~$700.

OffroadHamster

Yea, sweating your ass of in a van in the middle of a blizzard, leaning forward to see through the ice collecting on the glass and every 30 minutes stopping to get out in sub freezing, windy, snowy nastiness and scrape ice and clear the wipers...SSSUUUCCCKKKKSSSS. If I could only go back in time and get the heated windshield....

I never looked into it because I figured it wasnt achievable, but anyone ever seen one retrofitted?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Given the massive size of the windshield - I think the embedded heating wires are essential. I'm sure glad I have it on my Sprinter, even though the replacement windshield I need will be expensive. Now has three repaired stone chips, from Alaska trip, just waiting for a larger crack.

JFloFoto

Love mine but it could use improvements such as longer run time before automatically shutting off and additional heating elements where wipers live to reduce ice build-up and thaw them from glass. Also, I got a 3 windshield replacement insurance contract through MB for the first 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
It seems that part of Ak life is rock chips... I have 2 already, 1 has a 2-3” crack so it can’t be filled.... JFlo, I agree about more elements near the wipers to help thaw them, mine can get ice encrusted at times...

Hamster, if you could figure out how to supply power and locate a switch, I don’t think it would be that difficult to install one.. you may not have the timer like the factory one but wire it on it’s own, sorta like a separate light bar, vs thru the wire and electrical/computer system...

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Tested my heated windshield for the first time today. Less than 5 minutes with 2-3” of encrusted snow in 17F weather. And the wipers were free to move. I have to look real hard to see any wires in the glass.

Also exercised the Espar D5, D2 and the heat tracing on my external water pipes. D2 heated up van interior to 70F from 29F in about one hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Farfrumwork

Agreed - more elements where the wipers sit would be great.

I have windshield insurance on all our vehicles. Its something around $24/yr - no brainer (for any vehicle)

Love mine but it could use improvements such as longer run time before automatically shutting off and additional heating elements where wipers live to reduce ice build-up and thaw them from glass. Also, I got a 3 windshield replacement insurance contract through MB for the first 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom