oil level help on dip stick

briggie

2007 3.0 diesel
my oil sensor has been broke now for a while and because of that it does not tell me on the dash how much oil i have,, my question is when i check my oil cold in the morning it is full on the dipstick,, when i drive when it is warmed up there is nothing on the dipstick and that is almost 2 quarts,, i check it every time i fill up and it is always the same, cold full warm empty. is everyones like that

knighty

did you leave it for 5 min before you checked it hot ?

it takes a while for the oil to run back down into the sump :)

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
my oil sensor has been broke now for a while and because of that it does not tell me on the dash how much oil i have,, my question is when i check my oil cold in the morning it is full on the dipstick,, when i drive when it is warmed up there is nothing on the dipstick and that is almost 2 quarts,, i check it every time i fill up and it is always the same, cold full warm empty. is everyones like that
This is why your manual states hot or cold temperature related on your dipstick.
Red = Hot/Blue = cold/ and yellow the latter is exceptionally rare.
Richard

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
If it is between the marks when the engine has sat (level) all night, you are fine.
It takes a while to drain back when you shut the engine off...and you will overfill it. That's bad. High oil levels lead to more oily crankcase gasses, which get sucked in, along with EGR, to the intake. Makes a hell of a mess of the intake swirl valves.

Top Bottom