Hacking the Start Countdown in an Emergency

Benagami

A couple years ago I got a DEF warning and a countdown on my 2010 Sprinter. I was in the middle of nowhere. The only Mercedes dealer wanted hundreds of dollars just to look at the problem. The morning of my appointment I drove to the dealer and the light went out as I pulled into their parking lot. I cancelled my appointment. The light never came back on.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to have the flexibility to ignore warnings from the sensors until I get home from trips. I'd like to carry something that will allow me to read the codes, and then reset them if I consider the code to be a minor issue. Has anyone tried doing this? What did you use? Will this thing work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074224KT...olid=2J802UOSH8LHT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks in advance for your help.

D

Deleted member 50714

I have no experience with the scanner you have provided a link. What little experience I do have is related to Mercedes Benz Xenty diagnostics and only as a hobby on my 2015 OM651.

Yes, it would be prudent to carry a scanner and popularity varies among the forum. The most exciting to come to the market appears to be AP 200 by Autel I believe, OBDII dongle witj app downloaded to a smart phone. I have no experience with the scanner either.

Focus on a scanner that provides the most features relating to emission controls, particularly, as you have mentioned, the no start countdown.

Additionally, there are OBDII compatible DEF Emulators. I purchased one, I think for $15 but cannot vouch for its effectiveness.

Knowledge about the emission controls systems theory of operation and preventative maintenance is imperative to avoid the dreaded chain of wallet flushes surly to someday ensue, usually occurring the furthest from rescue or home.

Three of the most important preventive maintenance measures are; avoid prolonged idling, monitor and AVOID interrupting DPF regeneration's and/or, allow the diesel exhaust fluid reservoir to deplete to the extent it triggers a low level warning and possibly subsequent no start countdown.

Scan Gauge II is a popular engine performance monitor that can alert of DPF regeneration's.

I'm kind of scanner shy at the moment, and reason why I have no experience. I don't want to buy something that doesn't have the features I need to correct emission control issues you mention. I am hoping as time passes more scanners will offer these crucial features. However, I could be entirely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
The more I think about it, the more I'd like to have the flexibility to ignore warnings from the sensors until I get home from trips. I'd like to carry something that will allow me to read the codes, and then reset them if I consider the code to be a minor issue. Has anyone tried doing this? What did you use? Will this thing work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074224KT...olid=2J802UOSH8LHT&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I do feel your pain! - It sounds like you may have found a good solution though. Icarsoft sounds like they are very responsive to questions about their products, so I would check with them to make sure the scanner will do exactly what you want, for your particular model Sprinter chassis, so I would get with them and ask a ton of questions before I bought the scanner . . . . but it does look like it's probably going to do what you want, based on the reviews given by other buyers

When we were View/Navion shopping, the DEF system on the newer V-6 diesels was a cause for concern for me. I'm not overly fond of V-6 engines to begin with and the whole idea of the DEF emissions system was a huge turn-off for me too, so for those reasons, plus the fact that with something like motor homes where it's possible to find older, nearly new units with very low mileage swayed my thinking to where I only searched for T1N powered units with the much simpler to maintain I-5 diesel engines . . . . and I don't regret it. We found an '06 with only 20,000 miles on it in very good condition for much less than half the new cost . . . . and no DEF to deal with

Don

Top Bottom