Air blow off near injector 1 connection

petehenrymusic

On my t1n, have an audible and feelable air blowoff (churf churf churf churf....) �� call click and clack! with some slight vapor right in the vicinity of the #1 injector connection at the rail. This is a cold start, increases with engine speed. Still it’s very difficult to identify precisely where the air and sound is coming from. So to me, the connection looks suspect and could warrant a new injector tube and fittings, hopefully not the whole rail! It’s also been suggested that this could be an injector issue showing itself remotely. I pulled the cover off, and there are some signs of Black Death, but not as bad as I’ve seen here in examples on the web. Seems possible to me it could even be a blown gasket at the block near the manifold. Not super familiar with this bad boy yet. My sob story, I’ve got my work cut out for me in the freezing cold because the thing won’t even fit in the shop! Just checking to see if anyone has noticed a similar problem or if there are any theories on what could be happening. Standby for a picture. Thanks for your time!:bash:

Last edited:

I deleted the other 2 identical postings. Please don't post the exact same question/problem in multiple areas. It doesn't help get answers and clutters the forum.

:cheers: vic

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Yes, injector leaking. Don't put it off. It isn't air, it is air fuel mixture and exhaust type gases. When I discovered mine, there were two. In short order, I had trouble staying awake while driving.
I just replaced injectors with new stuff.
If that goes on, you get lots of buildup of gunk. How is your "black death"?

Heatnairguy

Yes, it is the Black Death and the copper injector to cylinder head gasket washers and replacement injector hold down bolts that have a T40 torx head are available from your local Dodge dealer and are very reasonably priced. I compared the new bolt to the old one on the first on that I changed and the old bolt was noticeably thinner in the threads area which tells me that it likely got stretched a bit. I read somewhere that low cetane Diesel fuel can lead to delayed ignition with resultant higher peak cylinder pressures. These higher peak cylinder pressures are said to be high enough to stretch the injector hold down bolts and cause the leaks that cause the Black Death. None of the filling stations that I have asked here in the Midwest had any idea what the cetane number of their diesel fuel was, if they even knew what cetane rating numbers were! So as a preventative measure, I have started adding cetane boost to every fill-up. It’s a lot cheaper than having to change injector seals and hold down bolts and it improves ignition properties so our vans start and run better. I am using Amsoil Cetane boost that has two different rates of use on the label. I am treating at the higher rate that adds 7 to the cetane number. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petehenrymusic

I've chased the blowoff to the valve/camshaft cover gasket. Great time to replace the injector seals as well. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Heatnairguy

The injectors and their seals are all under that cover. The cover gasket or seal couldn’t begin to hold those hot gasses in once the injector seals let it leak by.

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Post a video. It sounds like you might be barking up the wrong piston. The cover does not hold in combustion gasses. If you have some black death especially then all the more reason it's likely an injector sealing washer. Black death does not need to be "bad" to warrant immediate remediation. Do not just replace all the injector sealing washers as you seem to be gearing up to do. Replace only the offending one. Let sleeping dogs lie, you very much risk creating more problems.

Post pics and a video, don't run off and start ripping things apart. You'll learn a lot about what's going on from everyone here if you have some patience and ask a lot of questions...

petehenrymusic

https://youtu.be/CVUHEZ01gnk

Thanks everyone. Don't worry, I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm actually thinking this might be coming from glow plug #1. Its wiggly piggly in there, but won't thread out or come easy just yet. Your advice is welcome. Thanks! Sprinter owner for one week and counting!

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Dduuudeeee! Get your hand away from there! That’s how people die from high pressure diesel injection into their blood stream. And it’s a slow death.

On another note, looks like it may be the line Coming from the fuel rail compared to the injecyor?

Be safe out there..

Heatnairguy

Those high pressure fuel line nuts are 14 mm. If you don’t already have one get yourself a
Good six point forged 14 mm flare nut wrench. You do not want to round off any of the nice corners of those nuts with an
Inferior or inappropriate tool! You might also want to wipe off any foreign matter or fluids before doing anything so wrenches don’t slip. This last tip can save you some sore or bloody knuckles at times.

Top Bottom