OM642 Fuel Injector O Ring Info: Leaking return line NCV3

DSMTurbo2

Hello all

I have a leaky fuel injector return line on my 2008 Sprinter 2500 cargo. Thankfully after inspection I found that the plastic components are intact and not damaged.

To release these clips I held down on the whole plastic connector and carefully pulled straight up on the outer ring. This was not easy and I was trying to be very delicate as I know these are often very brittle.

Upon inspection I saw no damage to the connector and line. I then removed the O ring with a blunt needle and inspected it to find it was slightly out of round and looked slightly deformed on the top of the ring. I flipped it over and reinstalled it making sure it was lubricated. and reinstalled the clips again being carful and making sure they seated and closed with a click. Also a known problem. I then started and checked again for a leak and there was none.

I want to go ahead and replace at least this o ring as it was clearly damaged. So i began my research.

I found
OEM Part Number: 0000780580, 68014080AA with a list price of $5.25ea

Manufacturer Number: F00VP01003

The manufacture is Bosch. I cross referenced their part number on the bosch website and found the dimensions to be 2.8mm X 1.5mm (Should be 2,8mm ID and 1.5mm thickness to my understanding)

From here I thought about the material. It needs to be safe for permanent submersion in Diesel. I knew Nitrile was a good material for this and started my search in my home town with little "in stock" stock luck.

I then went to amazon and found the supplier Buna-N which has a Nitrile O ring in that size. I now have a pack of 100 on the way for $3.65 total.

Choose your buying option, vote with your money! Searching the Bosch number yields a mess of results. But this was hard to beat. Also feel free to send me a SASE and I will happily give you a set.

I will post back here when they are installed and can keep everyone in the loop on their performance.

Disclaimer: follow my path and do your own research. I am not a professional at anything other than screwing up :D

I hope I can get those clips off again without damage!

Best
Erik

DSMTurbo2

Just an update.

I received the new O-Rings. Packaging does state that they are NBR, Nitrile. Sizing looked perfect.

I carefully unlocked the clips again and began pulling the old O rings off noting another one that appeared to be damaged. I compared them to the new ones and they certainly look like the same nominal size. I lubed the new ones and installed them.

I appear to be leak free after five miles of driving. I am wearing my smug face, so I am sure something will go wrong soon.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks
Erik

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Europarts has the official MB part for $2.93, still ridiculous for an individual 0-ring. When I replaced my leak line I used the MB parts because I was going out on a long trip and just didn't want even the slightest chance of a problem, but I agree that there's got to be a better way. Europarts lists the OEM for the MB part to be Bosch so perhaps you have the same thing, or close enough. Please let us know if you experience any subsequent problems (I doubt that you will.)

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=2197

DSMTurbo2

Thats great info smiller Thanks for sharing. I can back up Europarts as well. Great company and I appreciate all they do! I will certainly keep the community in the loop should problems arise. I am pretty confident that I found the "poor mans option" done right.

Thanks
Erik

carverad

Sorry, I know this is an old post but can you remember where the o'rings came from? They are proving hard to find.

HighPockets

Or perhaps Eric has some of the pkg of 100 left. I have an '07 and would be interested in having 6 of them for the future.

Gene

Top Bottom