Sprinter versus Transit.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

lindenengineering

I am sure Rudolf would have loved to see a bunch of commie stuff bolted on to his engine, that doesn't do a thing for the engine, except shorten its life and make it break down more often. :rolleyes:

If the diesel was actually ran on the fuel that Rudolph intended it would not be a problem. But all the swamp creatures around the globe, get big kick backs, from BP, Exxon, Shell, etc. :shifty:

Foreign BP even destroyed the Gulf for thousands of years, and only got a slap on the wrist.

Cummins Made in the USA, one of the all time greats, they should take some advice from Cummins across the pond. :thumbup:
You know people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones -Didn't your mother ever tell you that?

You talk about big kick backs and disasters!
Here's' one to chew on for starters --And it American;-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_azgdnGBdh8

And Cummins Engines (MADE IN THE UK) is based in Doncaster and has been in the UK since 1956.
It supplies engines/power products to the Euro compliant market and beyond.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

The video makes my blood boil, and hope all responsible contract eye cancer and live to be 150!!!!

flman

You know people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones -Didn't your mother ever tell you that?

You talk about big kick backs and disasters!
Here's' one to chew on for starters --And it American;-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_azgdnGBdh8

And Cummins Engines (MADE IN THE UK) is based in Doncaster and has been in the UK since 1956.
It supplies engines/power products to the Euro compliant market and beyond.
Dennis

You are the one that thinks you and "Not So Great Britain" are all righteous. Did I leave anyone out when I mentioned swamp creatures around the world?

Yep, that's big oil controlling things, and even in the 21st century we have BP causing disasters.

Good one, but not a single link provided on Doncaster/Cummins, and even if they did make one in the UK, who cares, we are talking about Cummins, not subsidiaries..... :shifty:

cvo

I have had three Sprinters and I've never seen the higher cost of upkeep that some talk about. My current 2018 has the 100K ELW that was free, and I bought the 100K maintenance contract. The van gets 18 and 22 MPG, with about 2K of equipment in the back. My Ford E250 on a good day did 10 MPG average.
None of my Sprinters have left me on the road or running in the limp mode.
About 1968 I starting using Ford vans until 2011 when I bought my first Sprinter, I will never go back.

BTW I own a 2018 F250 SD 6.7 Power Stroke. Its in the shop today, they're replacing the fuel tank for lack of capacity and front bumper thats rusting.

Last edited:

flman

Be glad you are in a warm climate with no crap on the roads, try and run a modern Sprinter in these conditions, then let us know?

HarryN

Oh I love this comment :-
Rudolph Diesel must be rolling in his grave thinking what has been done to his perfect IC engine.
lt was hardly perfect !
In fact it blew the roof off the original MAN works.
It was just an experimental unit using compression and bio diesel to run based upon the Carnot cycle.

Dennis
Just a side note:

I had the amazing opportunity to visit the MAN SE site in Augsburg, Germany and see their "medium size" engine unit used for training. It is a cut-away so that you can see what is going on. Each cylinder was roughly the size of a 50 gallon drum. I was impressed, but they also make much larger ones as well.

One of the early units (pieces) was in the lobby.

What I didn't consider, but makes perfect sense, is that the most common fuel of the day was coal for running steam engines. Mr. Diesel was attempting to run those early engines by fuel injecting ground up coal dust into the cylinder, vs the much easier task of running liquid fuels today. At the time, liquid fuels were not all that common, so vegetable oil was used as a demo.

There is a plaque on the wall near the remnants of that early test engine. I don't remember the exact wording, but it referred to the experiment as "spectacular event" or something equally dry and funny,

There are some people at that plant who would really like to again try to run directly on coal dust. Given what they have accomplished with being able to run on some heavy fuel oils, it might not be much more difficult.

For some reason, I have been unable to get my wife to go there and visit the engine museum. :rolleyes:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Oh I love this comment :-
Rudolph Diesel must be rolling in his grave thinking what has been done to his perfect IC engine.
He committed suicide or fell overboard and was found floating.
Dennis
Suspicious death. Just like the guy who invented running on water.

I was thinking about Transit as an alternative. Transit lower and easier to get in, but the tight foot well limits making foot position adjustments on longer trips. And the fact the feet (left in particular) is jammed in behind the front wheel. I have seen a lot of cases broken ankles, tib-fibs, and mangled feet in left front impact collisions.
The Sprinter front floor board much more room for size 12 feet, and the feet are not behind that the front wheels both sides.
I like the 3.5 motor + 10spd trans for 2020 Transit. but for 2020 Transit all the nanny stuff will be standard.
For me staying Sprinter.

flman

I was thinking about Transit as an alternative. Transit lower and easier to get in, but the tight foot well limits making foot position adjustments on longer trips. And the fact the feet (left in particular) is jammed in behind the front wheel. I have seen a lot of cases broken ankles, tib-fibs, and mangled feet in left front impact collisions.
The Sprinter front floor board much more room for size 12 feet, and the feet are not behind that the front wheels both sides.
I like the 3.5 motor + 10spd trans for 2020 Transit. but for 2020 Transit all the nanny stuff will be standard.
For me staying Sprinter.

I have 13' bed in my Transit and almost 7' high ceiling, and yeah, it has a cozy cockpit. Feet position has never bothered me. Also it has a turning radius that fits inside of a Sprinter 170 turning radius.

Top Bottom