MaxxAir deluxe AND Frontunner rack.

paddlincwolfe

In process of conversion of my 2018 144" high roof crew cab.
I have the Frontrunner slimline rack, it is awesome and works well for carrying long sea kayaks and surfskis using V-racks mounted to frontrunner.

I have yet to put in a ventilation fan...... I am at a logical point for installing fan as i have headliner out for insulation installation.

1) How high do you rank priority of ceiling fan?

2)Has anyone used this combo of Maxxair fan and frontrunner rack. I will have to remove three of the cross slats for the 24" clearance.

I hope to hear from someone who has a good function roof rack and a ceiling fan.

Thanks
Cwolfe

GSWatson

2013 144
Or, put your boats on the side and use the roof for fans and solar....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddlincwolfe

Thanks, I get that response from a lot of people unfamiliar with true sea kayaks and surfskits that run 17 to 22 feet long. Not a viable option. Plus, roof rack serves other purposes as well. I'll make it work, just surprised more people have not dealt with the issue.

Cwolfe

Kevsuda

I've seen the slimline racks. Don't the slats slide around wherever you want them? Too me a vent fan is extremely important. I would consider cutting the slats where the fan housing goes and run some U channel aluminum support fore/aft underneath the cut slats as well as extend under a couple of intact slats on each side of the fan.

Onefin

I too would cut the slats and support underneath.
Here’s a couple photos of a rhino rack with cut slats....obviously not the same as FR but close enough to get an idea that cutting the slats doesn’t look as ghetto as it sounds.

Uninstrut underneath would work to span some adjacent intact sections and you can just spray paint it or spray an bedliner it. If you want or need fancy frontrunner sells spray paint that matches the factory powder coat.

I cut several FR slats while helping a friend work on his Land Rover and they cut well enough with a jigsaw and a nice metal blade. A bit of file work and the FR spraycan paint it looked great.

Attachments

GSWatson

2013 144
Thanks, I get that response from a lot of people unfamiliar with true sea kayaks and surfskits that run 17 to 22 feet long. Not a viable option. Plus, roof rack serves other purposes as well. I'll make it work, just surprised more people have not dealt with the issue.

Cwolfe

My Chinook clears the driver’s door up that high; Ive also used the rack to carry 20’ lumber. You just exit from the slider instead, which is what I often do anyway. The chinook doesn’t stock out any further than my mirror; occasionally I’ve wished for the extended driver’s side mirror. But glass and mirror vans often have wider sides.

Either way, it’s a 5-minute simple process to load or unload my boats. The rack cost about $400 in 80/20 and pieces, which includes going across the roof to hold my solar panels. I can’t imagine loading a boat onto the roof as easily.

Also, my boats on the side don’t interfere with my solar panels’ performance.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddlincwolfe

Thanks. I think I am just going to remove three of the slats and use the MaxxAir. I use Goodboy Kayak V-Racks with rollers on the stern of the Frontrunner. Boast slide up easily into cradles and then I go up my rear ladder and secure. I don't think I will miss the slats and will benefit from the air quality improvement of the Maxxair fan.

Cwolfe

hein

Van Guru
In process of conversion of my 2018 144" high roof crew cab.
I have the Frontrunner slimline rack, it is awesome and works well for carrying long sea kayaks and surfskis using V-racks mounted to frontrunner.

I have yet to put in a ventilation fan...... I am at a logical point for installing fan as i have headliner out for insulation installation.

1) How high do you rank priority of ceiling fan?

2)Has anyone used this combo of Maxxair fan and frontrunner rack. I will have to remove three of the cross slats for the 24" clearance.

I hope to hear from someone who has a good function roof rack and a ceiling fan.

Thanks
Cwolfe
Would it be possible to post or send me a photo of your roof layout and rack? We produce adapters that would allow you to place your vent offset of center. That has worked for folks carrying longer loads. There are also some lower profile vents available. Feel free to send a photo directly to my phone# below.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

paddlincwolfe

Thanks for all your responses. The Maxxaire is n with three slats removed. Two GoodBoy racks on top and an innovative loading system allow me to one person load 55 pound 18 foot sea kayak or 20 foot surfski. The real estate up on the roof if prime. Now I am pondering will if I will eventually be able to get solar panels? Up on top might work if I can use small panels in parallel. Another thought would be to mount them on the L rear side panel, maybe with a tilting mount that can angle adjust at camp? Thoughts?

felix_adk

Hey paddlincwolfe, do you happen to have a picture of your set up? I'm considering getting a slimline rack too for my Sprinter 144 high roof and wondering what it looks like with the slots removed and how much space there's left. Going with the MaxxFan Deluxe 7500. Thanks!

Top Bottom