T21 Emissions Recall Notice

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Re: Emissions Recall Notice

Have any Dodge Sprinter owners even received the recall notice to date?

vic
My notice arrived in the mail today for a 2004!

We have no emissions testing in GA, so based on what little I know of this, I will not allow them to touch it in the fear it will make mileage worse, or cause faults like some have reported.

acollite

I also received the recall this weekend in MI, but we dont have vehicle inspections and I have a GDE tune that I dont want to mess with ..

Dougflas

DAD OWNER

Rec'd my recall notice on my 2005 today. I am not planning to let anyone touch it at this time. I have read about some members having problems after the recall and I do not want to be that boat.

frank

Received my recall notice today in California from Fiat Chrysler. 2006 Dodge T1N.

My van is running fine and I have no plans to take it in for the recall! :tongue:

Received the recall notice today. It appears that the computer does not monitor the Mass Air Flow Sensor for faults and thus does not flag it or set a code if the sensor is faulty. I suppose the computer does use the MAF information to control the engine, but simply doesn't tell you if the info is non-existent or inaccurate/out of range.

After reading the thread on the issues the Freightliner people have had with this, it will be a long time before I allow to have the computer reflashed. Cannot risk having my motorhome stuck at the dealer for weeks or months while they try to sort the problem out. There are no Dodge dealers in my area that were in business when T1N Sprinters were being sold, as the ones around here were shut down during the economic collapse and new ones have sprung up. I am sure they cannot properly service a Sprinter and most likely don't even have a Star module to access the computer with.

With no emissions tests here, I have no incentive to do anything stupid. When I hear of a Dodge dealer in the Southeast that has done the upgrades to several Sprinters without any issues, then I will take it to them and get it done.

Since this is a complete reflash of the computer, does this also fix the non working BRAKE warning light recall in one shot?

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.

Last edited:

DahSprinter

I am with many of the GA guys, my van runs great and I am usually on top of any pending issues. The few Dodge/Chrysler dealers in my are don't have enough Sprinter experience and taking a day off work to have someone play with it is not gonna work for me.

Emissions Recall

Just got this notice on the mail today.

I remember reading horror shows on here before after they updated the ECU.

Anyone have it done yet with good results?

Last edited:

If I were to receive such a recall letter I wouldn't announce it on a public forum for a couple reasons.

I wouldn't need to broadcast my intentions publicly.

I wouldn't want to awaken already too busy emissions bureaucrats about the possibility of some vehicles missing out on the recall.

If you are warm and happy in a pile of sh!t. Keep your mouth shut.

Once upon a time, there was a little sparrow who decided to be different from all the other birds by not flying south for winter. Needless to say, it soon got so cold that the little bird reluctantly started south anyway. As he flew along, the little bird grew cold and ice formed on his wings which caused him to fall to the ground in a barnyard. A cow wandered by and **** on him. This may seem terrible, but it warmed the poor bird and thawed the ice so that the bird began to chirp and sing. A cat wandered by, heard the noise, and dug through the manure until he found the bird and ate him.

The moral of this story is:
* Being different makes you cold, lonely, and gets you **** on.
* Everyone who ****s on you is not necessarily your enemy.
* Everyone who digs you out of the **** is not necessarily your friend.
* If you are warm and happy in a pile of ****, keep your mouth shut.
www.reddit.com

vic

Members have a 24 hour edit window for their posts which includes the ability to delete.

(Somebody did ask though. I deleted mine. :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Carminooch615

I read this thread and found a lot of trepidation on complying with this recall. What I was curious about was whether people had any specific bad experiences and what any downside to this could be?

The wording on the recall notice makes me believe the dealer may inspect or replace emissions equipment including my EGR and intake system. My egr is sticking intermittently. So far from what I can gather, I see potentially a new egr in my future? FO FREE?! I mean, I guess I could clean it.

T21 MAF recall

Certain 2005 Sprinters may not comply with Fed and Cali emission regulations/standards.

Has anyone else received a letter about this recall? I called 800.853.1403, they referred me to my local Dodge dealer. I asked if the local Dodge dealer was an authorized Sprinter dealer. I did not get a good answer, but I did get another phone number, which was answered, just not by a real person. Maybe I should not have expected an answer at 8:18 PM.

... FO FREE?! ...
Some info is in the links here.

There are some threads covering some of the problems with the ECM upgrade recall for certain Model Year 2004 - 2006 Sprinter vehicles:

These are a few links.

Unknown Code - Another updated ECM issue
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55638

Software update for the Engine Control Unit
(1st *^%# trip to dlr in 4 yrs -new key, mandatory update to ecm, now efn CEL!????)
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197

MAF sensor/recall woes
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54905

Latest on Recall- Engine Control Module Update! Watch out!
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53282

GaryJ and Glasseye commented on their recent dealership visit experience.

The closest dealer to me, that I trust, is in Portland. I think I will just wait to see if there are any problems before I drive 600 miles, round trip. I have visited the Dodge dealer in Nampa, ID. That will not happen again. I felt like I was paying them to use my Dodge as a training tool.

david_42

Just got my recall letter yesterday. I suspect the dealership around the corner will have some lame excuse for not doing the work, but I'll give them a call next week. I really wish I could get the work done at my usual place: The Sprinter Store

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Since this is a complete reflash of the computer, does this also fix the non working BRAKE warning light recall in one shot?
Quite possibly not. The BRAKE pre-start bulb test issue may solely be an Instrument Cluster hiccup.

Some people who have had the T1N ECU update have then required an Instrument Cluster swap-out to fix subsequent induced problems (circuits failing to "go to sleep" then the key was off).

--dick

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K

Slogged through several threads & unless I missed it? Didn't see much success with this update. Waiting for a positive experience? Any voulenteers, test cases,
or guinea pigs taking the leap please report back.

Last edited:

Goofy foot

sliding left...

I'm wondering if this ECU re-flash will affect Xentry C3 functionality, ability to diagnose. I mean, if you're going to write code to to re-flash 100,000 T1N's....why not disable cloned diagnosis scanners.

plcraig47

NW WESTY
emissions recall

Have others received a recall for emissions, as I have, and has anyone contacted a Dodge dealer or other shop regarding the recall? Is this something we all need to do? If so, is a Dodge dealer the only good solution? Thanks

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Re: emissions recall

CAUTION!!!

There are several threads over the past year or so where Sprinter owners have received the recall and had it performed to their detriment. The recall hit Freightliner owners first, and now is apprently hittting Dodge owners.

Issues.

1. State Mandated

A. Some states require emissions testing. Depending upon how emissions is done, Sprinter may require recall work done to pass inspection.

NOTE: There are several Washington state Westy owners, so may want to chime in for the original poster. California (most of) has a two year smog check and from the other linked threads below, is very stringent on proof of the recall being done.

B. Furthermore, some states may NOT test for emissions unless proof of the recall work is provided.

C. If not state required for smog check or if not state required to have proof of recall, may want to wait and see if the recall has been properly worked out and then get work done.

2. Dealership Recall Done WITHOUT Notice or Permission

Some reports that Sprinters taken to dealers (Dodge or others?) for other work will have the recall done EVEN if the owner says NO!!!

3. Problems Arising from Recall

Here are several links to threads re the recall.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55677

------------

California Westy here and have not received a recall notice yet. Local Dodge dealer closed shop years ago (use independent shops for service) so will have to look for a Dodge dealer. Mercedes and Freightliner dealers may have the capability, but recall reimbursement to dealer may be an issue.

Please post your findings. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Bottom