Bed Rail Mount

Ranman

Thought I'd post a little more on this subject. I went ahead and ordered the rails. Ordered 5ft and cut them using a chop saw with a metal cutting blade. I got the galvanized ones for 8.99 each. I needed to cut them to just over 3ft to span the panel area. I was able to drill holes and use bolts on all but the front ones. Tough getting the bolts and washers on the back but can be done. The fronts are tapped into the C-piller and no way to get to the back. I used metal roofing screws for the front side of the rail and was able to use bolts on the rear bolt holes. They are very strong when mounted. I just cut up a few 2x4s and some OSB to see how everything will fit. The bed goes in and out fast.
You can move the bed up and down but need to make you 2x4s shorter or longer by 1/2in for each position due to the wall not being straight up and down.
I'll try a trip or 2 with the bed the way it is but want to use 3/4in square steal for the cross members eventually.
I still have the roof panels out...Waiting for the camera.

Attachments

DCarter

Ranman,

You and I are on the same page! I just got a 2014 144" high top to make into a bike race hauler/family camper. I have 2 boys that race road/crit/tt/CX along with me. I just finished paneling the inside rear of the "Beast" and I put 5 bikes across the floor (fork mount) on a flat drawer bottom that spans the distance between the inside of the wheel wells and pulls out 48" so I can get to all of the mounts w/o crawling inside under the bed platform. I'm very happy with the pull out, although the 48" long slide mechanisms were not cheap, they will pay off over time.

Our bed platform is approx. 43" off the floor of the Beast, similar to yours. My wife is concerned that there will not be enough headroom once we are resting comfortably on the platform. What have you experienced??? Also I really like the idea of moving the seat back. Was that difficult?? Did you go to MB for the floor brackets??

Thanks

Ranman

Went to Oklahoma last weekend and slept in the bed. We did fine for using left over wood. The unit squeaked a little on the way down. Easy fix. We didn't have the rear seat in to test it but I like being able to move it around and out if need be. Which we did because we going to move furniture. I will still move to using metal rather than 2x4's. I just need to figure out a way to make the ends of the 3/4in square to fit in the racks.
Really would like to see pics of your drawer set up. I just use a 2x4 with the fork mounts bolted to it. Again easy to remove.

Ranman

Sorry on the seat brackets.
I ordered the rear brackets and the bolts online. The bolts were 2.02x6 each. Anchor covers 4.55x3 and the brackets were 105.53. Not cheap but I wanted factory brackets. While I was waiting on the order I used the ones I had and moved them back. I first removed the floor and cut out the rear. There are marks in the floor so it's easy. I used a drill and marked the holes in the floor for the bolts with the bracket. When you drill through the first layer of metal there will be a nut that is already welded to the frame. Didn't take me very long maybe 1/2 day to do every thing.

DCarter

I'll take some pics of the drawer assembly tonight after work and post them up tomorrow. I only finished it last night so the jury is still out. I do like the installation details though and it does hold 5 bikes across in the safety of vehicle. I was shooting for 6 bikes but the handlebars on the outside ones would not clear the rear door jams, so 5 it is. I used 3/4" maple ply for the drawer bottom because the drawer slide assembly is rated for 450-lbs when fully extended and when retracted in the vehicle I (at 6'-3", 215-lbs) walk all over it placing bikes, etc..

The plan is to use the drawer as a table/shelf when camping which will work fine but one aspect of the install I did not anticipate is the moment arm created with the drawer 4' outside of the back of the van. I used 1" #12 sheet metal screws to attach the slides to the ply floor of the van but this moves up a little when my 100-lb son sits on the end of the extended drawer. Rather than screw the slides to the metal floor of the van I think I will just keep bodies off.

I haven't put the bed platform side rails (1" x 1" angle iron) up yet because I want to make sure ALL bike sets clear the bottom of the bed frame assembly first! I copied my bed design from Outside Van. I made three 2-ft wide panels of 1-1/4" 16-guage steel covered with 1/4 ply. Each one weighs in at 17-lbs which my lovely wife can take in or out. They are sitting on 1" angle iron (facing down), screwed to the side walls of the van and trapped with 3/4" angle iron above so they don't become projectiles during travel.

Attachments

DCarter

Ranman,

Attached are the drawer pics. It has been complete for 2 days now and I have had bikes on and off. I like it very much, it works as designed. It is easy to get to the fork mounts of the bikes facing into the van with the drawer pulled out and the 3/4" maple ply deflects very little.

Attachments

Ranman

That's awesome. I just have my fork mounts bolted to a 2x4. I don't even have it bolted down. They never move around and I have them face backwards so I can grab them. I can only fit 4. I have to also lower my seat a little on mine.

HeadyTeddy

I set up my bed to allow for maximum storage underneath... I certainly did not over-design this...I just took two 6' 2x4's and used 3" sheet metal screws to attach each 2x4 to the vertical ribs, then laid four evenly spaced 2x3's across the 2x4's, and topped it off with 1/2" plywood. It's done fine as far as supporting the weight of two adults. However, I often wish for more headroom... That'll be taken care of this spring when I redo my design!

Rensho

If you have a carpeted floor, you might try a using a few large furniture moving pads under the plywood tray. That might slide easily enough to get to all the bikes.

I am designing something similiar as well. I did have a 2x4 set up in my passenger van that was a loft bed and allowed for bikes underneath. I am in the process of a conversion and I am going to do a more custom approach. Anyone ever use a trampoline material for a bed? as in tie the trampoline into rails along the side of the van. I figure it would be comfy, wouldn't squeak and it would allow more clearence for bikes underneath.
thoughts...

Rensho

I am designing something similiar as well. I did have a 2x4 set up in my passenger van that was a loft bed and allowed for bikes underneath. I am in the process of a conversion and I am going to do a more custom approach. Anyone ever use a trampoline material for a bed? as in tie the trampoline into rails along the side of the van. I figure it would be comfy, wouldn't squeak and it would allow more clearence for bikes underneath.
thoughts...
I thought about same material stretched over 2 steel poles attached to side of van. I haven't searched out material yet. They make cots out of same material.

... They make cots out of same material.
Another source might be trampoline stretch material from multi-hull boats. It is very strong and durable. Being sold for marine use means it is probably pricey.

Stretcher bars might reduce the fasteners needed to secure to the sides. That helps to simplify installation/dis-assembly.

:2cents: vic

Sorry on the seat brackets.
I ordered the rear brackets and the bolts online. The bolts were 2.02x6 each. Anchor covers 4.55x3 and the brackets were 105.53. Not cheap but I wanted factory brackets. While I was waiting on the order I used the ones I had and moved them back. I first removed the floor and cut out the rear. There are marks in the floor so it's easy. I used a drill and marked the holes in the floor for the bolts with the bracket. When you drill through the first layer of metal there will be a nut that is already welded to the frame. Didn't take me very long maybe 1/2 day to do every thing.
Fantastic work! Where did you get the parts online? Trying to find a good reliable online OEM parts place for stuff like this.

Top Bottom