Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,599 Times in 5,382 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Dodge Sprinter Engine ground location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithgun View Post
The item you had quoted WAS NOT the chassis to engine ground strap. Check your part number, what they quoted you for was the BATTERY ground cable. I do not know what the current/actual MB part number is but EuropartsSD sells a genuine MB strap listed for the T1N 2002-2006 for a whopping $5.45. Part #901 540 07 41 Likely the same strap for our NCV3 but I cannot confirm...

https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=3690
They are universal in the MB range.
We carry stocks of up to ten of that ground strap.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
manwithgun (06-19-2019), sailquik (06-19-2019), Sprinter Bob (06-21-2019), will902 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #32
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,422 Times in 3,899 Posts

I can't imagine a different ground strap for each and every model and year. But...then again it's European.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #33
Düsseldorfer

OP's posts were a year ago. Probably no need to respond to them now. Will revived the thread with questions on replacement technique.

Will, yes, you will want to remove the windshield washer reservoir to get to the strap bolts. No need to remove the hose(s), just unbolt the reservoir and move it to one side.

Also, there's no reason to buy a ground strap from the dealer IMO. Engine ground straps are a generic item, available in various lengths and thicknesses at any FLAPS for <$10, or as the guys noted above you can buy them from our favorite online Sprinter parts sellers for cheap.

Last edited by Düsseldorfer; 06-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Düsseldorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Düsseldorfer For This Useful Post:
Sprinter Bob (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #34
Bobnoxious

Can anyone think if a reason why soldering the terminals would NOT be beneficial? Doesn't take much skill, time or money.

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 06-19-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #35
manwithgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Düsseldorfer View Post
Also, there's no reason to buy a ground strap from the dealer IMO. Engine ground straps are a generic item, available in various lengths and thicknesses at any FLAPS for <$10, or as the guys noted above you can buy them from our favorite online Sprinter parts sellers for cheap.
The ring terminals are two different sizes so some generic straps may have you drilling out one hole or having a small bolt head or washer in a large hole. I just made my own.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #36
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,599 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Düsseldorfer View Post
OP's posts were a year ago. Probably no need to respond to them now. Will revived the thread with questions on replacement technique.

Will, yes, you will want to remove the windshield washer reservoir to get to the strap bolts. No need to remove the hose(s), just unbolt the reservoir and move it to one side.

Yes there is a reason to buy a dealer part.
Aftremarket stuff has dubiuous resistances and we have come across various instances where after market & DIY cobble up ground straps have caused multiple eletrical faults. Beware !
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (06-19-2019), Bobnoxious (06-19-2019), Sprinter Bob (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #37
Bobnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Aftremarket stuff has dubiuous resistances and we have come across various instances where after market & DIY cobble up ground straps have caused multiple eletrical faults. Beware !
Dennis
I could not agree more. Not that my agreement was solicited or required but hopefully appreciated.

Also, please consider, if Dennis has this item "constantly stocked", he must have made the determination or suspect it is a critical component causing reoccurring issues. As a result, I conclude, it is an an item that should be replaced at some designated preventative maintenance interval or at the first sign of any electrical issues. I ponder how many dummies just gaze at it and say, "Looks good."

I will certainly not hesitate to R&R mine at the 10-year milestone or first sign of electrical issues and consider it "preventative maintenance." Maybe make some artwork or repurpose the old one?

Furthermore, If a person can't afford a $10 or $15 dollar preventative maintenance expense, perhaps they should explore less-expensive alternatives such as a scooter, motorcycle, bicycle or public transportation. Or, penny-pinch in another budget expense categories. Perhaps cut-back on toilet paper and lattes from Starbucks???

The following is a timeless, universal constant of life, "The bitterness of poor quality will linger long after the sweetness of the low-price is forgotten."— Benjamin Franklin

So say da NOx

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 06-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #38
Düsseldorfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
All fair points, Dennis, but what I was saying is that you don't need to go to the dealer to get the dealer part. You can get the genuine MB item for cheap from online sellers (as MWG pointed out) or from independents like you (as you mentioned).

That said, I bought a big fat one from NAPA a while back and it works great. Probably oversized for what is needed, but that's all to the good IMO. And I didn't have to wait a week to get it in the mail, or trek 200 miles round trip to go to the Freightliner shop. Just my experience, YMMV.
Düsseldorfer is offline   Reply With Quote