Pics of your 4x4 in compromising positions

JFloFoto

Curious to see who actually pushes these vans to the limit. I'll start:

Pushed a bit too far into the bog and got sucked in. No amount of jacking, Max Trax, or digging was getting us out. A winch would have been useless as there was nothing nearby to grab onto. Finally had to call for a snatch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
A deadman or some other sort of sand/snow anchor in this situation is an option if one has a winch (and one is prepared and has one) even better if it's another vehicle to hook on to... ��

Onefin

The grand tour would’ve pulled him out in his 2wd while doing a wheelie...in an ice storm.....

EvanS

I almost tipped the van over on our first trip :doh:

We were out in Moab and tried to drive up to some free camping on Long Canyon Road. The drive was pretty uneventful besides some steep spots until we got about .5 miles from the top of the canyon. As you can see in the picture below (not mine) this giant rock had slid down over the road. I'm sure there was enough space to get the van through but I almost rolled it over with some bad wheel placement and poor spotting. You can see in the photo that the left side is lower than the right and I swear, we were within an inch or two of rolling over. :bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

Won't do that again. I'm thinking about using my label maker to print me a sign that says "Motorhome, not rock crawler".

Attachments

EvanS

Pushed a bit too far into the bog and got sucked in. No amount of jacking, Max Trax, or digging was getting us out. A winch would have been useless as there was nothing nearby to grab onto. Finally had to call for a snatch.

Situations like these remind me of the saying, "The better the 4x4 the further you have to walk to get the tractor".

I once stuck an old Chevy van in the Florida sand. I had plenty of traction going into the field but turning around stopped it dead. It took two tow trucks, one to pull me out and one to pull that one out. (Think really long winch cable.)

OffroadHamster

I almost tipped the van over on our first trip :doh:

We were out in Moab and tried to drive up to some free camping on Long Canyon Road. The drive was pretty uneventful besides some steep spots until we got about .5 miles from the top of the canyon. As you can see in the picture below (not mine) this giant rock had slid down over the road. I'm sure there was enough space to get the van through but I almost rolled it over with some bad wheel placement and poor spotting. You can see in the photo that the left side is lower than the right and I swear, we were within an inch or two of rolling over. :bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

Won't do that again. I'm thinking about using my label maker to print me a sign that says "Motorhome, not rock crawler".
Takes a LOT more than you think to roll a sprinter.

Not me:

Fully compromised :(

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Some quick math puts an empty 4x4 at around 35-38 degrees of for roll. A well designed build out would put it at 30 degrees or so conservatively. Obviously dynamic forces can cause a roll over below that angle.

Hard to tell from photos, but Eds situation could probably have been resolved by pulling the van down backwards down the hill slowly. Turning the wheels to the left to switch from roll to pitch angle. If desired a strap can be run over the roof to the body somewhere, and used as a safety. A single person using 2 snatch blocks to double there weight, or a belay style anchor to allow rope to freely pass. There would be some risk of front bumper/cover damage depending on the angles involved.

What were your tire pressures? They look fully inflated...

Ed463

Some quick math puts an empty 4x4 at around 35-38 degrees of for roll. A well designed build out would put it at 30 degrees or so conservatively. Obviously dynamic forces can cause a roll over below that angle.

Hard to tell from photos, but Eds situation could probably have been resolved by pulling the van down backwards down the hill slowly. Turning the wheels to the left to switch from roll to pitch angle. If desired a strap can be run over the roof to the body somewhere, and used as a safety. A single person using 2 snatch blocks to double there weight, or a belay style anchor to allow rope to freely pass. There would be some risk of front bumper/cover damage depending on the angles involved.
Photos never show the full story, the side of the track had collapsed and efforts to winch it had just made the situation worse, making the bank more unstable, and the van was bellied. So the tracked excavator needed to lift the rear as is was lowered slowly backwards, whilst the tractor held the front and stopped it slipping sideways. A close call, too close for comfort!
It's my son's van so I plead ignorance:lol:

You didn't have a spare tire?

If you dig a hole and bury your spare tire, you can then use it as an anchor to winch yourself out. That's self-recovery 101 stuff...

And what were your tire pressures- it looks like they were fully inflated.

Top Bottom