Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 AM   #161
shouldbeasy

Default Re: Greta Van Blau- '16 144 low roof 4x4 project.

Looks good! If you're running lots of gravel, look into some sort of guard for the front shock shafts - I've already blown one out... not so happy about it but hey, **** happens (and yes, I already had the Fox Rooster Guards on when it happened...).

Love the new hidden home! Lovely place you've got!
shouldbeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shouldbeasy For This Useful Post:
OffroadHamster (09-13-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #162
tegan_ca
Build Planning

Thought this was really funny...my wife sent me a pic of your van when she was headed up to SB this weekend...and I immediately went 'hey that's ORH'. She was ~70 miles away and right behind you in our van.
She was pointing out CCV top and your spare tire carrier, wondering if the top was our soon to be new one.
I drive out to CO on Sun for my CCV install.
tegan_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #163
OffroadHamster

Ya, we saw her!! On 101 from the 405 interchange through Ventura when we got off to grab food. We leapfrogged a bit.

Always funny when you are checking out a sprinter watching the driver check out your sprinter!!
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #164
OffroadHamster

In January of this year GRETA lost her fearless protector, California Duke, my best friend of 12 years, fearless guardian of my wife, kids and home, hiking partner, chaser of coyotes, catcher of bob-cats, subduer of raccoons. A dog who stood down a an early spring bear over his indignation at it rummaging through my backpack. Who slept at the foot of my daughters crip, sat quietly while the neighborhood kids pulled on his ears and tail, and rested his nose next to me on the bed when I was sick, sleeping in a sitting position.

Last weekend GRETA got a new travel companion, Vorberg Unsinkable Molly Brown. Molly, a champion line Standard Schnauzer, has some big paws to fill. I look forward to traveling with her and having her watch over my girls
Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #165
Onefin

Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like a rad dog that had a good life.
Onefin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onefin For This Useful Post:
OffroadHamster (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 AM   #166
ranchworld
'06 158 2500 Passenger

Sorry to hear about Duke but Molly sure looks nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchworld For This Useful Post:
OffroadHamster (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #167
OffroadHamster

Duke was a once in a lifetime dog, the one you get as a bachelor and devote all of your time to, and as a consequence becomes your tireless and completely devoted companion. Until you meet a girl..ha!...at which point he decides he has someone more important to protect and you become chopped liver. He used to quietly get up and follow my wife to the bathroom when we were camping and stand watch. The instincts of a good dog are amazing. I will certainly always miss him.

We are excited about Molly though. She should fit more squarely into the van, as she should be around 50lbs trimmer than Duke, and having a wire coat and hair shouldn't shed as much. If she is half as brave as Duke, no one will dare come between her and my girls and if her parents are any measure, she will be every bit the babysitter.

Cant wait to take her on her first big adventure and see how she travels. Dogs always add a twist of interest to any adventure!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OffroadHamster For This Useful Post:
CaptSteve (02-15-2019), marc1 (11-19-2018), mtbkers (11-25-2018), ranchworld (11-17-2018)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #168
OffroadHamster

Ski weekend, POW was unreal. Saw many vanners. Lots of cool sprinters and some absurd unstoppable looking econolines. GRETA chews through a couple feet of powder without flinching. Dont forget, ASR OFF!

Started teaching my 3 year old how to ski. Shes going to be a natural I think.

Snow is CRACK for dogs, I think Molly likes the snow more than the rest of us, if thats even possible....

Have to figure out how to keep the snow from sticking to her legs, will be a total disaster for winter camping. Im thinking some doggy leggings....
Old 02-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #169
MotoXPress

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post
Finished building the cabinet bases and laminating them. Thermofoil doors are on order and I ordered a couple of butcher block work bench tops for the countertops. Got them for a great price from home depot for 15% of the price of ordering a butcherblock "countertop".

Sink will be mounted over the left most cabinet. Sink will drain into a 5 gal grey water carboy that I can easily disconnect and drain. Fresh water will be mounted under the van in the spare tire location. Porta poty slides out from bottom right. Wire rack drawers slide out and shelving is organized with plastic bins.

Outdoor shower box mounted to sink/water cabinet

Refrigerator has a generous air gap behind it and vents through the hole where the door hinge passes through.

While traveling the seat will be mounted to the center position. It has clothing bins underneath that can be moved to whatever position the bench is in. This is convenient because they can be brought inside and loaded with clothes and then brought out to the van. Bins have lids that open from both sides and hinge in the middle.

While camping the middle bench will be flipped around and slid all the way forward and a portion of the bed platform that will span the cabinets will double as a table top. Basically three people can sit at the table.

Received some of the curtains from Ripplewear (member name rt1rac on the forum). They are VERY nice. Super well constructed, perfect fit, and super easy to put up. She even made a little canvas storage bag for them. She can do different magnets for windows that have factory plastic trim (like I do on my passenger van) and larger curtains for CRL windows. I did the temptrol in gray. I cant wait to get the rest of my set. Well worth the money.

Doors and counter tops are next, then the platform bed conversion pieces, followed by custom cushions. Then the van goes to CCV for the top.

When it comes back the solar goes on, the fresh tank and sink get installed and hooked up.

Clean up items are flooring and two more batteries

And then..........adventu re time

As budget allows the van will get wheels and tires, aluminess rear bumper with delux galley box, aluminess side steps or a set of power running boards, a front hitch receiver and a lightbar.
Can you tell me which bins you are using?

Thanks
MotoXPress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #170
OffroadHamster

I bought them at The Container Store. Couldnt tell you which they are. I walked around with a tape measure and found best fit. I dont use them anymore. Any piece of luggage that will pass TSA carry-on will fit under the seats. Its a great solution as thats where I was keeping my clothes, so now they are even more contained and accessible.

Rejiggered my horn after the relay shorted while driving through some deep water. Nothing like trying to unplug an air horn while said air horn is blaring in your face. I also added a second lower tone compact air horn. Finally have a horn befitting a 4 Ton beast.

Potted the relay in silicone. Used tinned wire and connectors. Spayed battery terminal protector on all connections. Moved the fuse closer to the battery and out of the elements.

And a little vacation time for all the work