Relocate transmitter [receiver] antenna wire DIY

smurph

No factory cargo divider on mine. Took me a bit to find that cable as it had been taped/routed on top of that round steel tube and not in sight. I kept feeling for it and was happy when I found it ��. Rerouted up and left exactly as Firebird suggested. Mucho better!! Many thanks!!

doctorzaius

I followed the excellent write up provided by the OP. Have to admit, this was actually easier than I expected. That said, I can't really tell if it made a difference. Gonna try new batteries tomorrow, but its definitely not night and day or anything like that. Thanks to the OP though.

akatc, your video motivated me to do this mod this morning. Also helped that it was 60 degrees out today. Worked out great, getting to the third piece of tape took most of the time.
Took me about 45 mins but I also rerouted the GPS power cord behind the dash at the same time. Thanks firebird and akatc.

smurph

It's a great vid. i'm quite pleased with the result after doing the mod a few weeks ago. Hard to believe MB would continue to route the antenna the same way year after year knowing it doesn't have the performance it should. Then again....

Glad there are forums for all of our interests that saves us money. Cheers akatc.

98Firebird

I made a video for everyone who needs moving pictures. Thank you for the original write up! Theres a noticeable difference after this mod thank you again!

https://youtu.be/yJdkWcRkqao
Thanks so much for doing this. I tried to get around to making a video before I left the dealership but never got the chance and no longer had access to a Sprinter to make a video, well done!

ENMeyer

I did this re-route a few months ago, and it made a nice improvement. While replacing / upgrading my tweeters and door speakers, I decided to extend this antenna wire (spliced with a butt connector to about 4' of 14 gauge wire) by spiraling it up the A pillar along the passenger side.

Now, the improvement is dramatic. Works like most cars' remotes - easily unlock/lock from 30' or more away!

GSWatson

2013 144
My problem is the opposite, and I wonder if it’s common. I can unlock fine from 20+ feet away, but when I’m next to the van, say the back doors, I have to lift the key fob up to the window to get any action. The batteries are new, and it’s always been this way.

Does anyone else experience this?

Greg

doctorzaius

That's the way mine is. I can unlock it easy from in front of the van (better now with the relocation) but standing right behind it is a lot more difficult.

Mickyfin

Thanks to the OP for making this thread, I have followed your instructions, and managed to do this mod in 20 minutes, most of that time was trying to find which zip tie I needed to cut, and to be careful not to cut blindly, as I was worried about cutting something I shouldn't.

I made a video for everyone who needs moving pictures. Thank you for the original write up! Theres a noticeable difference after this mod thank you again!

https://youtu.be/yJdkWcRkqao
Thanks for the video, this helped me personally.

Range is good now, three times better than it was! :clapping:

Did this mod to my 2018 4x4 today. I also added about 8' of wire to the end of existing
antenna wire. Interestingly it had a female connector on the end. Ran wire like OP and also along under defroster cover up under windshield pillar trim and across top of windshield through headliner to dome light area.

Like Johnshmit I easily get 300' range, gets iffy at about 330'. Verified distance with a measuring wheel. Can lock and unlock any place around van easily now, and at long range.
What a difference!

CleveTripp

hi...actually the original antenna will remain in the camera so as not to upset the balance or function of the gimbal.
After the internal antenna is disconnected, a separate antenna will be mounted on the underside of the Q to provide better video reception at a greater distance while extending the range to assist in preventing video signal drop or shuddering.

A_D7Sprinter

Do you all know of any threads that relate to rewiring the power cable of the roof A/C to aftermarket onboard battery bank / converter that is powered by solar?

lhprod

1st Diesel, 1st Import
Would be lovely to edit this thread for correct terminology. The transmitter is the thing in your pocket / hand. The receiver is in the vehicle. So it’s the receiver antenna wire that gets relocated...

Yeah, somebody’s gotta complain about something... But it’s about clarity for the next guy

98Firebird

Would be lovely to edit this thread for correct terminology. The transmitter is the thing in your pocket / hand. The receiver is in the vehicle. So it’s the receiver antenna wire that gets relocated...

Yeah, somebody’s gotta complain about something... But it’s about clarity for the next guy
I would change it but I'm not a mod or anything. Actually looking back on it the title really should say something along the lines of "Key Fob Performance Increase/Range Boost DIY"

Last edited:

Mer1039

I finally got around to relocating my antenna today. Took less than 60 minutes. I just followed the steps in the video from 'akatc'. Wireless distance range was greatly improved.

Thank you forum members,
Ron

dannykato

I just relocated the wire following the original instructions and watching the video that was linked earlier. I didn't even need to cut the zip tie. I just pulled the antenna wire through (there was no plastic connector on the end). I already had the dash taken apart to put in a new car stereo, so it only took about 20 minutes. Unlocks at a much greater distance now. Yay and thanks!

Top Bottom