Driving Safety Systems ESP ABS ASR BAS EBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am posting this info to help people understand the braking and traction systems that they MAY have on their Sprinter (not every NAFTA Sprinter has ESP or ASR). This thread was prompted by the Yahoo Sprintervan post below. I will not take the time to post pictures in the Yahoo forum because they will become lost.

ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) aka CAB (Controller Anti-lock Brake) aka HCU (Hydraulic Control Unit) module descriptions all refer to the same Sprinter brake control module.

Edit: The ESP and other safety systems are should be standard for NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters from 2004 Model Year and up. I believe that the Trailer Stability Program (or whatever they call it) which includes whether a trailer is involved or not for skid response is available on NAS Sprinters from 2010 MY on.

Re: [sprintervan] Re: Lookin for a used ABS Module, 2005 Sprinter

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/57692

Text here:
"I may have a similar problem---ABS light staying on plus
the far right tracking(?) light. Scangauge reports zilch.

I have not checked wiring or fuses but would like to know where this ABS module
is---and maybe start a visual inspect. So far no-one has said what this
so-called tracking light is for, and it is undocumented far as I know. Any
help here from anyone apprec'd.
halnet"
FWIW - It is not a "tracking" light. Most people refer to it as the "traction" light for that indicator.
Here goes:

097DrivingSafetySyst.jpg

098ABSinfoSmall.jpg

099ABSinfoSmall.jpg

100ABSCABinfo.jpg

101ABScontrolCycle.jpg

Last edited:

125HCUparts.jpg

130ESPsystOp.jpg

131ESPsystOp.jpg

132ESPsubSyst.jpg

AN ASR NOTE:

From my 2004 Operator Manual

Deactivating the Acceleration Skid Control (ASR)

See Section 4, Understanding Your Instrument Panel,
for switch locations.

When driving with snow chains, in
deep snow, or on sand or gravel, it
can be beneficial to deactivate the
acceleration skid control (ASR).
The engine’s torque is then no longer
limited and the drive wheels are free
to spin, which can help them cut into
loose surfaces.

The ASR can only be shut off with the engine running.
If the engine is shut off with the ASR deactivated, the
ASR is automatically re-activated after the engine is started again.

Cargo/passenger vans type 2500 C/HC/SHC only:
If there is a danger of skidding, and/or starting at a
speed of 38 mph (60 km/h) ESP activates ASR
automatically.

WARNING!

Vehicles type 2500 C/HC/SHC only:
Even when ASR is deactivated, ESP remains
active and regulates braking to improve stability
as necessary. The warning lampv flashes in
the speedometer.
The danger of your vehicle’s brake system
overheating and being damaged is increased
during long, demanding application of the
brakes. Furthermore, an overheated brake system
could result in a longer stopping distance.
Thus, only deactivate ASR if it is absolutely necessary.

133ESPsubSyst.jpg

Last edited:

Question #1. How serious is it if/when the ABS, ESP, or Traction (Spinning tire icon) dash lights come on?

If one or any combination of those lights come on while driving it indicates that those systems are no longer active to help you for unusual situations.

It is critical that those systems work 100% correctly. To assure proper operation they are monitored very closely by the computer. Should any of the systems activate the brakes at the wrong time then serious drive train damage or operational/drive-ability issues can result. For that reason they are quickly deactivated if there is a sign of any problem at all.

Question #2. Can I still drive the Sprinter?

Having those systems disabled of itself is no real problem. First: Check that your brake lights are operating. As long as the brakes are working properly (good pedal, no pulling, etc.) and the Sprinter has no obvious drive-ability issues then you can continue to drive until the issue(s) can be corrected. That said, be certain that everything is really OK before pressing on. The dash lights are lit for a reason.

Keep in mind that you will not have the benefit of the safety systems though. It will be the same as driving an early 1960's design vehicle that had no computer assisted safety systems.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

From another thread.

All NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters have ABS. To my knowledge ABS and ESP are different safety systems even though they both depend upon the CAB aka HCU module to modify or apply braking to enhance vehicle control.

View attachment 109046

ESP was optional for NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters up to 2003 MY. All Most all NAS aka NAFTA Sprinters 2004 and up have ESP. At least for T1N's, ESP remained optional for ROW Sprinters, but was included in all most all models destined for N. America.

:2cents: vic

Added:
There was a comment that the 2004+ T1N 3500 Cab Chassis model (dual rear wheels) does have the mechanical brake distribution lever. I have no data about that. The cab chassis model is common for some, but not all, RV conversions.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom