Expanding Westy's Rear Storage using Rear Door Panels - Post #1 of 3

janiner

Thanks, Pat - I'll email them.

Speaking of awnings... Mike brought over some random parts he found and one of them is the center bracket for the awning. But we have no idea how to use it, and I couldn't find "awning", or any other synonym a German speaker might use, in the owner's manual. Are there directions for this thing somewhere?

Tim said something about brackets in the back to hold this center bracket and the crank. They both seem to be missing in mine. Is this something I would need to buy from Airstream?

Thanks all!

janine

Zach Woods

Speaking of awnings... Mike brought over some random parts he found and one of them is the center bracket for the awning. But we have no idea how to use it, and I couldn't find "awning", or any other synonym a German speaker might use, in the owner's manual. Are there directions for this thing somewhere?

Thanks all!

janine
Hi Janine -

If my memory serves, Tim Frazie has, and uses, one of the center awning brackets on his Westfalia (Yup - see here https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=64668&postcount=4 where he shows storing it in the rear "garage" area).

Maybe Tim can chime in with his experiences on how to use this bracket.

Zach

Riptide

Hi Janine -

If my memory serves, Tim Frazie has, and uses, one of the center awning brackets on his Westfalia (Yup - see here https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=64668&postcount=4 where he shows storing it in the rear "garage" area).

Maybe Tim can chime in with his experiences on how to use this bracket.

Zach
What Tim showed is the "rafter". I have one too, although I've not used it. I basically acts as a stretcher to keep the awning tight. See below:

Janine, I think I MIGHT know what you're talking about, if only because I have some mystery brackets too, still in their packaging. I think they're awning related, but I don't see where I'm missing anything, or where they would be used. I was hoping they were another set of mounting brackets for the awning, as I'm toying with putting a second awning on the other side of the camper.

Pat

Attachments

janiner

I'm not at home to check but I think that's the same piece I have. I can see how a center rafter would be useful, but can't quite picture how it would install. Mike never used the awning; Wayne and I put it up on our first trip and as far as I know it was the first time it was ever rolled out. So I don't have much experience with it yet. I do recall from awnings past that flapping in the wind was usually a problem.

Do you guys know where to get those clips Tim has there to hold the crank and the rafter? From what I understand it was supposed to come with them but I don't have either one.

Thanks!

tfrazie

Thanks, Pat - I'll email them.

Tim said something about brackets in the back to hold this center bracket and the crank. They both seem to be missing in mine. Is this something I would need to buy from Airstream?

Thanks all!

janine
In my post showing the pic of how I mounted the awning tools (the center rafter and the awning crank), I said, "This is a great spot to mount the awning tools (the crank and the center rafter). My Westy was delivered with the attachment clip for the center rafter but not for the crank attachment. I emailed Bob Synder fiamma1@fiamma.com. The crank handle clip set is part number 98655-095 and cost $4.20 (2 pcs) with $3 shipping (ask for postal shipping otherwise shipping is $10. Orders can be placed directly from Fiamma at 407-672-0091. I mounted both tools a far to the rear edge as possible to preclude interference with either the outside shower attachment or opening of the wardrobe from the rear."

I think you mean the center rafter as I pictured in my post. But there are brackets (or clips) to mount this center rafer. Mine came with the Westy. They were in in the well under the stainless dish drainer. But I didn't get the crank mounting clips (or at least I don't remember getting them). They could have been misplaced by me. It's been 4 years almost since I bought the Westy and I'm just getting around to mounting the "awning tools". There's an email POC and phone number in my quote above for purchasing these clips. I only listed the part number for the crank mounting clips as that's all I needed. But if you email Bob Syder he'll give you the part numbers so that you can call in the order to fiamma.

The center rafter can be used, at your discretion, but provides more support (as any roof rafter would) for your vinyl awning. It would help protect the material in the event of a heavy rain, heavy wind or snow (in the unlikely situation that your awining would be out during a snow :smirk: You might ask Bob Synder what the purpose of the center rafter is and how should it be used.

tfrazie

How did you manage to buy them from that site? I can't find any "buy" buttons. I've done a little Google searching but it looks like they are only sold in the UK; I can't find any sites that typically sell in the US that carry them.

janine
Janine, I listed the Fiamma POC email and telephone number when I talked about the awning tools. It's the same for the levelers. Here it is again for your convenience: ...I emailed Bob Synder fiamma1@fiamma.com. ... Orders can be placed directly from Fiamma at 407-672-0091.

janiner

Thanks - sorry, there's so much to read I don't always remember everything I've seen. I've sent him an email.

janine

cerilak

Re: Awning rafter - we have used it - depending on the situation. I don't know about other owners, but most of the time we don't crank the awning all the way out. We crank it out as far as we want then we kind of back crank it a little to tighten it up. We only use the rafter when the awning is cranked all the way out to add extra support to the center. We would have been totally lost if not for Patrick of Colonial Airstream showing us how to use it!!

GoJohnGo

Road trip!
Looks like Tim's source for the diesel container no longer sells it. I believe I found it, though: it's made by Rotopax.

Tim (or other who do this): do you always leave the container of diesel in your rig? How often (if ever) do you empty it and refill it?

mogul2us

Another cool storage place for those few things that you "just might need", but hopefully never will, such as a spare serpentine belt and a spare water pump (BTW +++ on the Go Westy pump - exact replacement and better pressure) is under the refrigerator. If you take off the white panel on the enclosed panel space directly under the refrig, you will find a hole of about 4" which goes under the false upper floor in the back of the van. You will find a serp belt and a spare water pump and other stuff will go nicely in there. I put the panel back on (6 screws). Not instantly but the stuff is there and out of the way. The function of this hole is cooling for the refrain, so don't block off the airflow completely.

mogul2us

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Looks like a Handi-hose without the reel. I got a 25' Handi-hose without the reel at Camping World. I don't remember if it said okay for drinking water. Use to wash exterior of van if permissible at campgrounds.

It's not bad but after a couple of years of little use has leaks in the hose (still usable). Also, have to unreel and roll up full length of hose for each use. That's why good for washing vehicle.

For filling fresh water tank, have a short 6' or so white hose and a 15' white hose. If fresh water spigot is right at the perfect location, short hose works. If not, longer or both hoses connected together work.

Pocket (accordian) hoses don't say whether okay for drinking water. Also, need full length of hose and haven't noticed any ones shorter than 25' but have not looked either.

There are far more durable and expensive ones built like fire hoses.

krn27

I have enjoyed reading all the posts about rear door storage. Any thoughts on using well nuts so you have a removable panel?

Does anyone know if there are plastic inserts so you can use all those recess areas on the aft columns? I don’t want to cover them due to electrical. Thx

Kiltym

I am just curious, not criticizing...

What is the value of 2 gallons of diesel when we already get 500 miles to the tank?

Jan M

I am just curious, not criticizing...

What is the value of 2 gallons of diesel when we already get 500 miles to the tank?
We do a lot of off grid winter camping so the heater(s) burn a considerable amount of fuel. They stop working when the tank level drops below 1/4 so for us a spare can adds another day away from civilisation.

Kiltym

We do a lot of off grid winter camping so the heater(s) burn a considerable amount of fuel. They stop working when the tank level drops below 1/4 so for us a spare can adds another day away from civilisation.
We run out of water way before diesel. But you must burn way more diesel with the heater in very cold places. BRRRRR!

Top Bottom