Tekonsha Brake Controller

Motordr

2020 LTV Unity Island Bed
So we brought home our new Unity yesterday! I have ordered the Tekonsha Custom Wiring adapter #30363-P from etrailer.com. Now what is the best way to access the “green” plug under the drivers seat? Do I unbolt the seat or unscrew the fuse panels on the seat side frame, or make a non conductive hook and go fishing?
Any advise from someone who has been there and done that is welcome.
Also, my Touareg has the P3 brake controller, is this still a good option or is there another Tekonsha product I should look at? Pulling an aluminum car hauler, double axle 5,000#.

jmcarter

Following your thread because I have similar questions. Bought the connector and pins from MB that will allow me to plug into the green plug under the seat. Debating about trying one of the RF units since we towed an Airstream with a MB GL350 several years ago. FYI that I loaded the race car on my open featherlight trailer and snuck over to the truck stop and weighed it on the CAT scales. Moved the car into three different positions trying to minimize the tongue weight and while I never had more than an inch of sag on the LTV there was a dramatic shifting of weight from front to rear axle. It pulled perfectly fine in any position and never exceeded the max rear axle weight. Just might want to keep that in mind. Also, think any of the good Prodigy proportional controllers will perform fine and I’ll post when I either remove the seat to access the green plug or go with one of the RF units.

Motordr

I was able to get access by moving the fuse panels slightly. I found the green plug near the front of the seat riser. Plugged in the new harness and routed it under the floor and battery coverings up to exit to the right of the “gas” pedal. Really enjoying our new Unity. Weighed in at 4715 kg or 10,373#. That’s with driver and co-driver, full tank of fresh water and about 3/4 tank of diesel. Also averaging 13.2 litres per 100 kilometres with less than 1,000 kilometres on the clock.

jmcarter

You beat me to it...how about a pic towing the loaded trailer? Since weight distribution hitches are verboten on the Sprinter I’m curious about what the scales say about your axle weights when pulling. Also, in my trip to the scales (took a non-busy route because of no brake controller-yikes) the mileage dropped precipitously to ~11 mpg indicated.

Motordr

Just installed the controller last night,so no pics. Who told that weight distribution hitches are verboten?

jmcarter

I don’t recall the MB rep’s name at the Tampa Super Show (our first opportunity to see the 19 chassis) but he indicated that you can’t use the WD hitches. As I indicated in my earlier post on my run to the scales there was no sway issues regardless of how I positioned the car on the trailer. Could probably confirm the WD deal with Don Klassen since he has experience towing and is a wealth of knowledge. Denis4x4, appreciate the input and believe I can get my tongue weight <500 taking the winch/battery out of the tongue box and leaving the track scooter home☹ but curious what the loaded trailer came in at? I’m going to be right at 5,000 pounds.

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
Weight varies from 4000 to 4800 depending on the car. There is a winch and "stuff" in the tool box. This is an aluminum 20' tilt trailer, so no ramps needed. I've used WD hitches including the high dollar units on my Grand Cherokee. After six year of towing with dual rear wheels and a well built/balanced trailer, I can see no reason why one needs a WD hitch, especially with a 5000 pound max tow limit.

Last edited:

Top Bottom