Drivers Side Window Motor Mechanism Failure

PeterInSa

Driving home from a trip pulled into a fuel station off the highway for a snack.

Prior to getting onto the highway again, hit the button to move the window up, heard a slight clunk and the window did not move. did not hear any motor sound. could easily move the window up and it gradually it would slide down.

Decided to push the window right up and put 2 suction caps on the bottom of the window to stop it falling down so we could stay at a beach side camp ground for the night. I looked away from the window for says 2 secs and the glass disappeared into the door, so drove straight home.

I suppose there is no chance there is a fuse for the drivers side motor gone, otherwise its pull the door lining out and investigate.

Any comments appreciated.

Have also found this to study.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14821&highlight=window+motor

Thanks

Peter

Sockeye770

Personally I would be removing the door internal trim, to find what is broken, as I would guess that the window glass has separated from the winder mechanicals.
If it was an electrical failure, the glass would be stuck in the one position.

PeterInSa

Suggest that anyone who owns a TIN Sprinter ie pre 2007 looks at the Youtube Vid below. This plastic part to me can fail at ant time, we rarely open our windows rely on the outside vent or air con..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5EgvTVdIa4

The guy fixed his in a shopping centre carpark.

As Eric mentioned above you only need a a blade driver to undo the power buttons and Torx Driver to undo 2 screws to removed the door trim.

I also used Margaret's Nail paint to identify the 3 switchs and their position.

I slightly bent the arm and made an AL piece (4cm long 1.5cm wide, thickness 1/8, 6mm cut out hole)as per the Thread mentioned in my original post. To get the AL piece into the slide had to undo the 4 screw that holds the window regulator in.

Also cleaned and regreased the slide.

I also made another AL piece for the passenger door to replace the plastic piece there when it goes. Note I understand Sprinters with the wind up window/handle had a metal slide rather than plastic.

Peter

Sockeye770

I would consider the above Youtube Vid to be a quick fix.
Without replacing the broken sliding plastic part, the pin on the winder arm with the slider bracket on the window glass, will just wear away over time (how long, ???), resulting in the replacement of both those parts, when the problem happens again.
If a new replacement plastic part can be purchased cheaply, then I would buy it and fit it, as it should last another 12+ years.

whambulance

Peter,
I've got a spare door lying around if you want some bits... Window winder works perfectly.... That is if youve got an ncv3... Pm me

Sockeye770

If a new replacement plastic part can be purchased cheaply, then I would buy it and fit it, as it should last another 12+ years.
On further searching, a new replacement plastic slider appears to be out of the question, unless someone has 3D printer with the right plastic for durability and a fleabay add.
So a home fabricated soft aluminium (or chopping board plastic) slider seams to be the best fix.

PeterInSa

SK770, On one of the Threads I researched, someone made a 3D version that only lasted 3 months, I think the best alternative suggested was some form of Plastersine/Araldite I think in the US its called JD alloy or similar, you protect the slide and the arm with tissue paper and mold this stuff similar to the original, in situ that hardens. The AL slide was considered to be 2nd best/easiest.

Peter

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The manual window regulator does not have the same weakness. So if desired, you could source a manual window drive/regulator. I am not certain if the door card/panel needs replaced. Though you could likely just drill a hole in your old on if needed.

Top Bottom