Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #41
gsenthil

Default Re: Tesla Model S Module Inverter/Charger

Not wanting to cheap out- I can buy another Tesla battery module for the price of the Victron 3024. I really dont need the inverter-this is for occasional summer use only. Most power supplies are 24V fixed.

The best I could find was https://www.amazon.com/KXN-3020D-Adj.../dp/B01MQZZLVR $230

Not sure how much % it would charge to if done by fixed 24V- https://www.amazon.com/Switching-(SM.../dp/B0786LMNR2
gsenthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,282 Times in 3,957 Posts

This is the issue that most folks don't see going in. They are lured by the cheap price of raw cells/modules. But the equipment to properly charge and monitor it costs at least as much as the batteries, usually more. The costs are best looked at with the whole system in mind.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #43
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,763 Posts

OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 PM   #44
Geriakt

Well if you don't purchase a proper charger all you are going to do is start your batteries on fire. I suggest you stick with wet lead or AGM and charge from an alternator and solar. I invested about $6000 into my system to make it safe.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #45
wankel7

Reduced minimum DC Input low restart voltage
The minimum DC Low Restart has been lowered for 24V models from 21.8 to 20.6, and from 43.6 to 41.2 for 48V models. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reduce this minimum for 12V units, due to hardware limitations.

This change caters for lithium batteries, and especially second-life batteries such as re-used Tesla power packs. It’s not necessary to update the firmware of the inverter/charger to use this change.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...zBFdWYsAFXYT48
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wankel7 For This Useful Post:
TooMuchHair (07-19-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #46
HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Reduced minimum DC Input low restart voltage
The minimum DC Low Restart has been lowered for 24V models from 21.8 to 20.6, and from 43.6 to 41.2 for 48V models. Unfortunately, we have not been able to reduce this minimum for 12V units, due to hardware limitations.

This change caters for lithium batteries, and especially second-life batteries such as re-used Tesla power packs. Itís not necessary to update the firmware of the inverter/charger to use this change.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...zBFdWYsAFXYT48
Which is exactly why all of the systems that we build are either 24 or 48 volt based. The improved flexibility and other factors make this decision very easy, regardless of the battery chemistry.

This is not a victron specific aspect, it is true of inverters in general.

Instagram WirlNet
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #47
wankel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Which is exactly why all of the systems that we build are either 24 or 48 volt based. The improved flexibility and other factors make this decision very easy, regardless of the battery chemistry.

This is not a victron specific aspect, it is true of inverters in general.
Since this is a tesla discussion....you have no choice but to do 24 or greater...

Anywho.....

How do you handle vehicle charging on a 24v or 48v house system?
wankel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #48
gordstray

It looks like the Victron Battery Monitor BMV712 has a programmable relay that can be configured to isolate the battery(ies) for any (or all) of the following conditions: 1.) Over voltage charging (your parameter); 2.) Low battery temp (your parameter); 3.) Over discharge (your parameter); Could be used as a backup (or primary). If coupled with a DPST relay, solar charge controller and grid/other charge source both can be disconnected in the event of say, a low temp. Also, bluetooth...
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #49
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordstray View Post
It looks like the Victron Battery Monitor BMV712 has a programmable relay that can be configured to isolate the battery(ies) for any (or all) of the following conditions: 1.) Over voltage charging (your parameter); 2.) Low battery temp (your parameter); 3.) Over discharge (your parameter); Could be used as a backup (or primary). If coupled with a DPST relay, solar charge controller and grid/other charge source both can be disconnected in the event of say, a low temp. Also, bluetooth...
I finished up an install a couple weeks ago doing exactly this with a BMV712 and 2x Victron Battery Protects; a VBP 65 and a VBP 220. The 65 was used to isolate the solar charge controller and the 220 was used on dc loads. FYI.. you can not run current through Victorn's BPs backwards or the BPs can overheat and have caused fires.

This was on a LiPo pack without internal BMS.

The BMV's relay has a normally closed and normally open relay contacts. In order to get the BMV to effectively operate both BPs I put one of the contacts through a relay to reverse the comm signal on the NC contact.. The primary downfall I found in implementing this way is I really wanted to control each BP independently of one another. I guess I could have done this with another BMV, but we were already pushing the limits of this person's budget. Other than that.. worked like a charm.. The 220 wasn't (isn't?) bluetooth compatible thus I had to manually set that one up. The manual setup of the BPs isn't super intuitive..

I set the system up to disconnect via the SOC signal via relay for:

+ a preset low temp
+ a preset high temp
+ a preset high voltage
+ a preset low voltage

Re the high voltage disconnect.. this already gets accomplished internally @ the BP, but it's nice to have a 'manual' override. also, there's a delay on the disconnect and on the first charge cycle, while testing towards the top end of the voltage threshold, the owner reported that the LEDs on his 4x top level 'equalizers' (???, i didn't install the pack or the top-level equalization) flashed red indicating over voltage and looking at the logs (another cool benefit of all the Victron products) it did briefly go ~1.5 volts over what we specified.. before disconnecting. Not long enough to do any damage in this case, but long enough to freak out the top leveling indicators. Wondering if this delay could be a bit more.. mmm... catastrophic.. in a Tesla pack application.

Last edited by vanski; 07-17-2019 at 08:00 PM.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanski For This Useful Post:
gordstray (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #50
gordstray

Here is an excerpt from a blog article from Tom Morton. He uses a DPST relay to accomplish...

"The only trouble with using the BMV712 relay to disable charging is that you actually need two relays for this system as the inverter charge can be disabled using one of the inputs. ( you need to program the inverter to use an input as a charge disable, for victron this is done with a external BMS assistant). To get two inputs from the one relay output on the BMV712 we use a DPST relay and hold the coil closed. This is a fail safe configuration that will open and shut down charging in a failed state."

Full blog post here: https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/tom...v-installation
gordstray is offline   Reply With Quote