Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Adventure

Adventure Seeing the world in a Sprinter.
SubForums: about that Adventure Shared Driveways

Old 03-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Ed463

Default Alaska to Patagonia in a NCV3

Not me, but thought some of you may be interested
https://www.campercat4x4.com/
Ed463 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed463 For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (03-16-2019), Jsharrell (03-12-2019), lindenengineering (03-15-2019), Mickyfin (03-12-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
radair603

Default Re: Alaska to Patagonia in a NCV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed463 View Post
Not me, but thought some of you may be interested
https://www.campercat4x4.com/
This looks like nothing more than a rental ad. Am I missing something?
radair603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,035 Times in 5,117 Posts

No!
I think its a great way for visitors to the Iberian peninsular to explore the lesser known areas of Spain, the Pyrenees & Andorra .

The visit to remote monasteries obviously intrigues me since in my youth as a student in France I once stayed overnight in a Monastery on the Massive Central. My hosts were related to French friends I had in college as we toured the country on motorcycles .

I confess I enjoyed the very best gastronomy known to man in that place of eternal worship! Their drinks selection was extraordinary, and resulted in me stretched out on the lawn in motorcycle leathers and an alcoholic haze after a sumptuous lunch ! The trip had to be postponed until tomorrows matins to recover !

The east west trip looks exciting but I would rather explore the region on a dirt bike scrounging a place to sleep with the locals. Basically dive in and get washed over in the culture, food/customs & local lingo!
Thanks for posting this Ed !
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (03-16-2019), Ed463 (03-16-2019), patineto (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Ed463

Quote:
Originally Posted by radair603 View Post
This looks like nothing more than a rental ad. Am I missing something?
If that's how you want to view it.

But yes you're obviously missing something
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
Ed463

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
No!
I think its a great way for visitors to the Iberian peninsular to explore the lesser known areas of Spain, the Pyrenees & Andorra .

The visit to remote monasteries obviously intrigues me since in my youth as a student in France I once stayed overnight in a Monastery on the Massive Central. My hosts were related to French friends I had in college as we toured the country on motorcycles .

I confess I enjoyed the very best gastronomy known to man in that place of eternal worship! Their drinks selection was extraordinary, and resulted in me stretched out on the lawn in motorcycle leathers and an alcoholic haze after a sumptuous lunch ! The trip had to be postponed until tomorrows matins to recover !

The east west trip looks exciting but I would rather explore the region on a dirt bike scrounging a place to sleep with the locals. Basically dive in and get washed over in the culture, food/customs & local lingo!
Dennis
And until we stumbled on this, I didn't even know there was a Desert in Spain. Man made not exactly the Sahara but stunning all the same
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales

I agree with you Dennis, the Spanish have pretty relaxed view on rights of way, but a Sprinter is a bit big to fully explore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-09-11_07-29-37_242.jpg (102.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-09-11_07-29-37_568.jpg (103.5 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Ed463; 03-16-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
DesertAdventures

Quote:

Dennis
Definitely something fun and adventurous to consider and it wouldn't take long to teach the Belgian Malinois to balance on bike! Staying and guarding it while away would be quite easy to train and these loyal K9's are so beautiful and smart it's quite likely more opportunities would manifest.

*If buying on Amazon please remember to click banner found on most pages or CLICK HERE it supports the Sprinter-Forum

Download Sprinter Manuals 02-06 T1N, 901, 903 *Thanks to Jens Moller & Arnie_Oli T1N Service Scans PDF
DesertAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
lindenengineering

Default ueen of England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed463 View Post
And until we stumbled on this, I didn't even know there was a Desert in Spain. Man made not exactly the Sahara but stunning all the same
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales

I agree with you Dennis, the Spanish have pretty relaxed view on rights of way, but a Sprinter is a bit big to fully explore.
Ah yes roads and tracks can be a bit tight for exploration for the curious in a van !
The Bardenas Reales valley and the Ebro basin is legendary.
Areas of an English historical medieval connection, since a few English royal consort queens originated from this region of Navarre & Aragon.

Having scudded about in Spain several times on motorcycles in the region I am often reminded of ancient places off the beaten track. A knowledge of Spanish is often required to fully understand some locals who are often very eager to discuss their region, its history, & places of interest.

On one occasion I went off on a tangent looking for connections of a little known Queen of England who hardly stepped foot in her new found realm of England. Notably Berengaria de Navarre, Queen of England was Richard the 1st's (Richard Coeur de Lion ) wife . Not much is written about her and she doesn't feature much in English history unless you go looking.

Nevertheless strike up some conversations over food and drink with local people and its amazing what you can discover.
Yes Spain its fascinating place away from the tourist traps especially if you are English (a Brit) .

For those curious here is something about Berengaria de Navarra:-

Dennis
Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
lindenengineering

Ed
A question?
Are you still in Spain with your van?
Dennis
Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Ed463

Quote:
Ed
A question?
Are you still in Spain with your van?
Dennis
No, we're here Dennis
https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montalbano_Jonico

Playing at being Olive farmers

BTW. Thanks for the comment re. Berengaria de Navarre. I enjoy that sort of history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190317_082745.jpg (130.6 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Ed463; 03-17-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
lindenengineering

Oh Wow
Now I am really envious.
Keep posting--I am enjoying this.

As for English Queen as royal consorts those from Medieval France were less than submissive and more like downright bloody dangerous to the realm. Richard 1st mother of Eleanor of Aquitaine did not take lightly to her husband's dalliances . Look up Fair Rosamund de Clifford from your part of the world in Shropshire one of the many Laid ies of Henry 2nd .
Then if that wasn't enough what about gay King Edward 2nd who remains are in Gloucester Cathedral . His missus Isobella of France & her retinue murdered him with by a red hot sword up the rectum in Berkeley Castle. A woman scorned & all that!
So much for a menage a trio with one Piers Gaveston who as part of the family so to speak. In one expression Liasons dangereux!!
Dennis
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Ed463 (03-17-2019)