Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
run4x4

Default Dilemma whether to get a 4x4 Passenger van

I have an option to buy a Passenger van now without having to wait for inordinate amount of time for a Cargo or Crew van. I understand if I remove the seats (possibly try to sell them) I have pretty much a Crew or a Cargo van. What ya all think taking this route, worth spending few thousands more on a passenger van vs wait 12 months for a crew/cargo.
run4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Sctn

Default Re: Dilemma whether to get a 4x4 Passenger van

If you like having a window van go for it. I don’t know your plans for the van so???
Sctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
run4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctn View Post
If you like having a window van go for it. I donít know your plans for the van so???
I don't plan on doing an extensive conversion, just insulate, add D2 heater, roof fan and Lithium battery pack charged by the alternator. I wonder if I can recoup the costs of paying more for a passenger van by selling the seats (if anyone wants to buy them).
run4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Sctn

Quote:
Originally Posted by run4x4 View Post
I don't plan on doing an extensive conversion, just insulate, add D2 heater, roof fan and Lithium battery pack charged by the alternator. I wonder if I can recoup the costs of paying more for a passenger van by selling the seats (if anyone wants to buy them).
I’m sure there are more than a few members on here looking for those seats. Recouping the entire cost I don’t know.

I have a passenger econoline, 2012. I’ve had it for 5 years waiting for the new sprinter, before I even knew they were going to redesign I really didn’t like the cab interior. Not joking I waited for the cup holders. Anyway, for 5 years I wish I didn’t have the rear side windows. I just covered them with insulation and never use them and it just annoys me. I ordered my sprinter 4x4 Crew back in Jan and hope to see it in nov/dec. I may be the extreme case of window hate though

Last edited by Sctn; 09-05-2019 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
VanGoSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctn View Post
... Anyway, for 5 years I wish I didnít have the rear side windows. I just covered them with insulation and never use them and it just annoys me. I ordered my sprinter 4x4 Crew back in Jan and hope to see it in nov/dec. I may be the extreme case of window hate though
Um, no. Extreme window hate is ordering a cargo van, like I did.

To the OP, if you're concerned about controlling the climate in the van, I think you're fighting an uphill battle by trying to heat/cool a van with all those windows. The windows radiate heat from the van like bare steel in the winter, but heat the van in the summer sun like a green house.
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
Sctn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoSki View Post
Um, no. Extreme window hate is ordering a cargo van, like I did.

To the OP, if you're concerned about controlling the climate in the van, I think you're fighting an uphill battle by trying to heat/cool a van with all those windows. The windows radiate heat from the van like bare steel in the winter, but heat the van in the summer sun like a green house.
I agree. In the sun the van is an oven. Even with fans, cracked windows and that crappy silver bubble wrap all over the place.

If I didnít have kids and a wife that think you need a window by your seat Iíd have ordered a cargo van and bought your seats.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,114 Times in 5,916 Posts

Consider that you'll have the Sprinter *now* versus somewhen in the distant future.

A quirk in the older Sprinters is that the passenger vans had "comfort" springs ... the same weight capacity, but definitely a "softer" (fewer broken teeth) feeling. It flipped us from "cargo preferred" to "passenger" due to our cargo (and riding comfort).
I don't know if the 4x4 has the same choice/construction, but it may be a factor for you.

You can always paint the outside of the windows body color (if you care). We enjoy ours.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
cacaw (09-06-2019)