Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 12-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #51
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,697 Times in 5,629 Posts
Default Re: All-electric RV Coming to Market

On the "emissions" question, this 14 minute video tries to give a balanced "by the numbers" answer.
In short, it depends upon where you live ... in a hydro state, you can better the carbon emissions (construction plus power 'cost') in less than 2 years ... for a 30 KWh car. In a coal state, it takes longer. For a big battery (100 kWh) both construction and power 'cost' go up quite a bit. They also provide a map of where it's "cleaner" to use all-electric, plug-in or hybrid.

The "show more" text on the video's YouTube page includes links/references to the sources of the numbers:

https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

RVs, being heavier, will skew things like the construction allotments. We'd probably have bigger batteries, too.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #52
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Do Elon's Supercharger stations have big buffer batteries? I though that (plus lots of solar) was part of the original plan.
I haven't a clue... since lack of the batteries entails a higher Demand Peak billing, there's definitely a financial incentive to get the batteries (eventually) installed. The only Tesla station i've seen is next to I-5 in Centralia, Wa ... there were no solar panels visible. Likewise no obvious battery banks nearby.

If nothing else, the batteries would allow the station to sell power back to the power company to help with time-of-day total peak demands on the grid.

--dick
p.s. 80 years ago my parent's house did "load leveling" ... the water heater was on a separate timed electric meter that only powered (and billed) it during the night. This was in the era of 60 amp service to houses (which is what the 4-bedroom house still had when it was sold in 2009). All-electric kitchen and oil heat. (its original built-in-1925 heat was coal,and it had had gas service until my folks had it removed circa 1935)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 12-18-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #53
Knit

One reason we should all want EVs to succeed in transportation cases where they make sense like commuting and errands where the distances work is to save that Dino fuel and emissions for higher uses like RVing.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #54
Bob Devers
Bob Devers

How about adding a small generator-gas perhaps- to charge EV when plug in not available?
Bob Devers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #55
Bob Devers
Bob Devers

https://generatorgrid.com/blog/tesla/
Old 12-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #56
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

From the article you posted. charging an EV with a gen set is not very practical nor is an all electric RV.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #57
Bob Devers
Bob Devers

That’s not my take from the article. Solves issue of needed a short charge to get to a charging station in an emergency. As a new owner of a Tesla Model 3 and knowing that virtually all new vehicles by 2030 will be an EV, I think an all electric sprinter etc based class rv will be feasible in a few years. In any event it’s interesting discussion. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #58
autostaretx
Erratic Member

One of the standard engineering approaches for an EV with an "extended range" generator is to make the load on the gasoline engine *constant*, and tune the hell out of the engine to minimize fuel usage *at that load*.

You can get pretty high efficiencies when you're aiming for a narrow range like that (compared to start/stop/fast/slow highway propulsion).

--dick
Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #59
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Hum...How so? According to that article it takes 24 hrs. to charge a Tesla and would result in 12 to 18 MPH of generator gasoline. You going to carry a suitcase generator and fuel can in your trunk just incase you run out of power?

Every new vehicle in 2030 will be EV...I don't think so. Maybe in California! Which will force most CA residence to purchase a carbon fueled car in a neighboring state.

Right now, your going to need a much bigger battery to move your 12,000lb. home away from home down the road and over the big hills to the wilderness which equates to more charge time and more pure sine generator output in an emergency off your propane tank.

You would likely see a hybrid power plant in a RV someday maybe. Forget towing a toad then. And you will likely be creeping over the continental divide. And all at what cost?

Just how far have you successfully driven cross country? I know Tesla has a better network of superchargers but only in major cities and along interstate highways. Doubt you could drive to and from Big Ben National park to Abilene, TX right now without an emergency charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Devers View Post
Thatís not my take from the article. Solves issue of needed a short charge to get to a charging station in an emergency. As a new owner of a Tesla Model 3 and knowing that virtually all new vehicles by 2030 will be an EV, I think an all electric sprinter etc based class rv will be feasible in a few years. In any event itís interesting discussion.
Thanks for your input.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #60
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoClinks View Post
Every new vehicle in 2030 will be EV...I don't think so.
I would take that bet, assuming you include the possibility of hydrogen fuel cells as "EVs" . 18 more years is a long time, and progress is not linear.

If not, our kids are totally screwed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote