Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #71
rodrob

Default Re: T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod5150 View Post
Forgot to mention another client with a 2004 had brought it to me for an srs light repair and a coolant leak after Dependable Dodge in canoga park CA had done the t21 recall. Had the strange egr after key off issue, and an undocumented code p2822-008 if I remembered correctly. She requested I call them to explain what was going on. Reluctantly (not fond of service sales people) I did and the writer said "oh ya needs and egr no problem" wasn't going to go into with him but they said they would fix the issue. She made an appointment and 3 times and all 3 times they wouldn't take it back in because they were too busy. Obviously they didn't know what they were doing. She ended up going north on a trip and took it to the San Luis Obispo dealer who handled it no problem
I took my 2004 to Dependable for the recall. Took them 4 times to get it right. New PCM, EGR. First it came back and the engine light would come on after several miles. Then the battery would drain over night, then the cruise control didn't work. It finally was done and I was able to register it. Post recall there is a noticable loss of power. Ugh.
rodrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #72
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

Default Recall

So, my 06 has finally received the recall.

Does anybody know who I can go to in north county San Diego to fix this? Thanks to all here.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #73
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,083 Times in 5,896 Posts
Default Re: Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com View Post

Does anybody know who I can go to in north county San Diego to fix this? Thanks to all here.
Is your Sprinter a Dodge or a Freightliner? (it makes a VAST difference)

--dick
p.s. "Yes!" is not an acceptable answer
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #74
jrod5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrob View Post
I took my 2004 to Dependable for the recall. Took them 4 times to get it right. New PCM, EGR. First it came back and the engine light would come on after several miles. Then the battery would drain over night, then the cruise control didn't work. It finally was done and I was able to register it. Post recall there is a noticable loss of power. Ugh.
I had a really bad experience myself with dependable about 10 years ago non sprinter related. Same service writers are still there. I switched after that and was using David Ellis for my Chrysler recall& parts needs which was part of Glendale dodge. Glendale dodge is a no sprinter zone they won't touch them

I have another client that is going to be using the dealership in Lancaster. Dodge recommended them because Russell Westbrook and dependable will no longer take appointments. Will post his results.
jrod5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #75
jrod5150

Default Re: Recall

Quote:

Seems like Escondido is the place to be...
jrod5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrod5150 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #76

Rodrob, mine is a Freightliner. I was hoping a specific MB dealer could be recommended, the closer the better. Carlsbad MB is five miles away. Thanks to all here. They have been selling Sprinters for a while, along with a number of awd's I have seen on their lot. I will call and see what they say and follow up. I was hoping someone who has had this done in my area could chime in.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #77
Lennie

I was not a fan of the Mercedes dealer in Carlsbad for diagnostic service not related to the recall. Maybe you'll have more success with them than I did. I don't think the recall is a big deal on a 2006. Mine is a 2004 and needed a new instrument cluster.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #78

Thanks Lennie. who do you rely upon for service?

The guys down at the Sprinter Stop off Miramar Rd. seem to know Sprinters. If I needed help with anything service related, I would give them a try. They helped me last week with replacing a leaking plastic tranny connector that another local outfit screwed up by what I assume not getting the two o-rings mounted correctly. I was out of there in a half hour. The next time I need a tranny service I will be going to the Sprinter Stop.

A shout out to Europarts SD for sending me a replacement connector gratis when I told them mine was leaking after the tranny service was done this past winter at a different shop.

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday, I have an early appointment for the recall with the MB Carlsbad dealer. I was told it would take an hour.

I try to avoid dealers, like many of us here, which makes this forum so valuable.

I wonder what they will actually do, and why it is needed. I haven't had any problems that needed fixing. I just hope there are no negative effects after their work is done.

I will let everyone know how it goes. Maybe my speedometer will be accurate for the first time. No big deal since the scan gauge gives the real speed. I hope they have what they need in stock. I would assume so in a perfect world. Yea right.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #79
HelloPitty

Quote:
I wonder what they will actually do, and why it is needed. I haven't had any problems that needed fixing. I just hope there are no negative effects after their work is done.
If you have a 2004, it will need a new instrument cluster, or there will be problems afterwards from what I've read.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #80
ions82

Another '04 (Dodge badged) owner checking in. CEL stays on, and the battery dies. One of the local Dodge dealerships took it in, and I explained from the get-go that it's a recall issue. They called today and said that it is NOT covered because it wasn't replaced when the recall was first released (back in 2017). I explained that the aforementioned recall was a simple reprogramming of the ECM (and that is what triggered the IC/battery drain issue in the '04s), but he said his service manager still said it's not covered. They wanted nearly $1,100 for a new cluster. I guess I made a mistake in buying an' 04. There's one other Dodge dealership in town that I will try. If that's a bust, I may just sell the van. Trying to get a cluster (and have it programmed) would be an expensive, drawn-out process. Is there a way to tell a "good" cluster from a bad? Would one from an '05 or '06 work (once programmed)? There is an independent MB shop near me that has factory-level support. They could program a cluster for me, right? The cluster conundrum continues.

Last edited by ions82; 07-24-2019 at 12:40 AM.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote