Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Database

NCV3 Database Reference Information, Part Numbers, Recalls, TSBs, and etc.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,588 Times in 3,516 Posts
Default Re: Sprinter Ultimate Service Tool 5.0 - Now Available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Yes, that is sound advice. However, the nearest MB dealer is about 50-car-clogged miles away, all honking, gesturing and yelling at me. Then, once there who is going to work on her, Humberto? She means a lot to me and don't want any schlepper fondling her. In lieu of Xentry, I'll try the Vulcan mind meld?
That would be fun drive in LHM.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,937 Times in 3,541 Posts

I guess my style of driving would/could be considered Limp Home Mode.
I'd rather call it no hurry to get anywhere mode.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #23
NBB

So I finally loaded the DVD's I bought as linked upthread - maybe $16 all-in cost.

Everything appears to have loaded fine, works great. I was able look up my datacard, get procedures, part numbers, etc. 08 Sprinter - so actually a Dodge - no problem, everything is there.

Only issue is it was delivered as a VMware vmdk disk. Works fine, but I'm a Virtualbox user, and I can't seem to open it in VBox. Not sure why. I have opened vmdk disks before no problem, not sure what I'm missing with this one. The VMware player is fine, just a little slower and it's an extra program on my computer.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #24
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,937 Times in 3,541 Posts

And I spent $120.00!
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #25
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,688 Times in 5,622 Posts
Default Re: Best Sprinter Manual?

I'll say this much about the $12 knock-off copies and the $120 Ultimate Sprinter Tool....

I spent the $12, and (like many here) at least one DVD wouldn't successfully load.
I messaged the vendor, and he provided a link to a site i could download the DVD from (that's 4.5 gigabytes).
I burned that to a DVD. Then you get to copy the DVDs on to your PC.
Then you run a program which stitches them together to the "real" kit.
Then you run the "install" process on that combined kit.
These packages really consist of a "player" version of VMware (which creates a "virtual machine" on your PC),
a packaged-by-VMware version of Windows XP,
and (finally) the Mercedes EPC/WIS package of web pages and java 7 applications which are the real meat you're after.
In the $12 case, VMware *seemed* to install, but i can't recall that i ever got the rest of the mess operating.

Since i have a T1N, i'm as-well served by the service manuals available at //aie-services-2.net/Sprinter http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference

But for an NCV3, EPC/WIS is (as far as i know) the only reference manuals available.

So i helped Bobnoxious with his Ultimate kit.
It arrives as a 64 gigabyte USB stick, of which 44 gigs were filled.
Plug that into your PC. I then copied it to a folder in the D:/ folder on my PC (my C:/ was too full).
That folder will contain two "read me" files ("first" and "second"). What to do next is covered in "first".
Then you run the install process against that D:/ folder, which creates *yet another* copy (plus puts stuff in your Program Files(x86) tree).
Finally you double-click the file that the "read me first" talks about.
That starts VMware, which creates a window on your screen that will contain a Windows XP environment.
(as VMware starts up, it may pop-up a window suggestion that you update the VMware package from v12 to v12.5)
((Bobnoxious reports that the start-up process freezes at some point along the way if your PC isn't connected to the Internet))
You're looking at a "windows XP desktop", with an NCV Sprinter as the background image.
There are a couple of "read me" PDF files on that desktop, plus an MB Star which is the WPC/WIS package itself.
Read the read me's ... then double-click the MB Star to really start the system.
You'll get an Internet Explorer window (running in the Windows XP window), which has a couple of BIG buttons for EPC (the parts catalog) and WIS (the service manual).
Click one of them (whichever one you need today) and stuff will happen (such as Java loading in that environment).
You'll eventually end up in the EPC or WIS environment, at which point you can tell it your VIN for "personalized" service info.
Bob's Sprinter is too new for the VIN database, but just entering the first 6 digits of his true VIN (from his datacard) keys up the right data.
(there are two drop-down boxes for specifying engine type and body package, those numbers are also on the datacard)
Getting the system to Print took following the instructions (or Help) that came with the package, plus a full reboot.
Getting the system to see USB sticks plugged into the PC took a similar loop-the-loop.

BUT ... compared to the $12 copy: The $120 version of the Ultimate Tool worked. (my $500 early-2012 laptop is Windows 10, which was upgraded from Win 7 during the "free" year).

I posted (above) an example of an NCV3 procedure.
Not shown on that is a 4th column on the "operations" list which would have contained links on to the sub-procedures (if any) along the way.
(changing the headlight stalk on the steering column made use of (i think) 5 sub-procedures)
As you can see, the drawings are poorly-transfered pixelated images, not cleanly-zoomable "vectored" drawings like you'll see in most PDF documents.
I created the posting by screen-grabbing (i hadn't worked out how to "print" yet, and even then the first attempts a "printing to a PDF file" (i use a 3rd party program in Win10 to do that, not Acrobat) fought back (it works now, and the only "fix" i used was a couple of full reboots after establishing a printer channel to a physical printer)). My screen-grabs didn't include the following images of any specialized tools involved/required.

So: yes, the Ultimate (and for many people, the $12 version) does work... I'm not a fan of its format... and the indexing is a problem (i *still* haven't found any spot they talk about replacing the headlight switch that's on the NCV3 dashboard to the left of the steering column).
But it's (in my humble opinion) really a case of "well, it's certainly better than *nothing*" ... if i had an NCV3 i would not hesitate to buy it.
(and, other than the frustration, there's no problem with first trying the $12 version, beating your head against that wall, and then buying the $120 version which is much simpler to install ((dealing with the multiple DVDs adds about 4 hours to the process (unless you get a bad DVD)))

Again, i'm lucky in that i have a T1N ... their PDF 1200-page manual plus the five diagnostic tree books are much friendlier to my way of working on these things... but those options are apparently not available to the NCV3 world. (mind you, the "sub-process" links are much much faster than page-flipping back and forth in the 1200 page book trying to find the name-varies-with-chapter sub-tasks)...

It's quite possible that i had the "luck" with the Ultimate (compared to the DVDs) simply because i'd tried/achieved a partial install of the DVD kit. It may have simply blazed a path through my Win10 system that eased the install of the Ultimate. I donno ... but Bob managed to get the Ultimate running on his system, too (without the DVD "initiation"). As far as i can tell, his primary complaint is that it doesn't have his too-new Sprinter's datacard in the pre-packaged kit. In my own case, i have a provided-by-dealer 2004 service manual CD($99 list), plus the downloadable 2006 manual. Together they've covered everything i've wanted to look up about my 2005 Sprinter.

good luck
--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by hkpierce; 05-19-2017 at 11:46 AM.
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (10-16-2018), jtheiny (03-22-2017)
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #26
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

I've subscribed to MB EPC for the last few years at $12/year. I thought it was a fair price. Now I see that it has gone to $75/year. I just ordered the $11 kit off eBay and will try that first. If that doesn't work I may try this $120 Ultimate Tool.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
flman
In Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I've subscribed to MB EPC for the last few years at $12/year. I thought it was a fair price. Now I see that it has gone to $75/year. I just ordered the $11 kit off eBay and will try that first. If that doesn't work I may try this $120 Ultimate Tool.
$12 a year? I was paying $60 a day for MB Sprinter tek. Now I have an xentry, and it has all the info I need.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 AM   #28
Ldfeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable101 View Post
If you look online there free to down load.
Do you mind providing a link for that? Thanks, Larry F.
Ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #29
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
$12 a year? I was paying $60 a day for MB Sprinter tek. Now I have an xentry, and it has all the info I need.
Put isn't Xentry very expensive?
Old 11-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #30
flman
In Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Put isn't Xentry very expensive?
Not really, got one for less than $500 and fixed a couple of problems on my 2010 vs going to the dealer $$ = Paid for!