Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #21
312d

Default Re: Air Recirculation system broken actuator parts - DIY fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessline99 View Post
312d if that part in your photos is still available ill love to have it!

-lessline99
i still have it
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #22
1Latahrog

I also had a broken actuator arm. Went to local wrecking yard and salvaged actuator assembly from a Fed Ex truck wreck. $35 As BC339 points out. It is harder than you'd think! MB and most new vehicles will not allow recirc. indefinitely, usually open recirc door after 10-20 min. Must be a way to overide?
1Latahrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 AM   #23
Dougflas
DAD OWNER

There is a Youtube video on this problem.

search Sprinter air box

Located in Beverly Hills, Fl.

Last edited by Dougflas; 02-03-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Dougflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,272 Times in 3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Latahrog View Post
I also had a broken actuator arm. Went to local wrecking yard and salvaged actuator assembly from a Fed Ex truck wreck. $35 As BC339 points out. It is harder than you'd think! MB and most new vehicles will not allow recirc. indefinitely, usually open recirc door after 10-20 min. Must be a way to overide?
The recirculate actuator has a vaccuum control solenoid that is connected to the Temperature control head unit. This is a simple 12v on/off control signal. If you pull the center console out you can access the wiring harness for the ATC unit. Cut the correct wire and connect it to a switch. When the solenoid receives 12V the recirculate door is closed.

I did this in my van as recirculation is a requirement in the hot and humid south.

I bought my van with a broken housing (not bellcrank, go figure?). I made a shadetree fix with some epoxy and a bolt/plate combo. I didn't want it breaking on the road so I ponied up and bought a new duct/housing for $140. This came with the recirculate flap and bellcrank.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 02-03-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
1Latahrog (02-08-2016), Aqua Puttana (02-03-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #25
doug022984
Doug

I thought I'd toss in my low-cost repair for this lever / belcrank or whatever you want to call it. Mine was also broken and looked almost identical to bc339's in post #12 of this thread. I didn't want to spend $50 on a 3D-printed one nor did I want to whittle one from a block of Delrin I had laying around (although I did think about it). I was inspired by Aqua Puttana's mention of using a nail. I mic'd the OD of the good pin at exactly 5.0 mm (knowing Mercedes would use metric everything) or 0.196". I wanted something close to that diameter but couldn't find any nails that size and didn't have any M5 metric bolts with shanks laying around. A #10 bolt shank is 0.145" diameter, so a little small. I settled on a 3/16" diameter (0.187") drive nail anchor (pictured) for $0.33 at ACE hardware.

Then I had to drill a 3/16" hole in the arm. I didn't trust myself using a drill accurately without messing up, so I used a 3/16" endmill since I'm fortunate enough to have access to a machine shop.

Hacksaw off both the ends of the drive nail anchor after measuring the length you need, leaving the head on; insert it in the hole from the back side and then Q-bond the $%&@ out of it for reinforcement. You're left with a pin that's stronger than the plastic one on the other side. If you've never used or heard of Q-Bond, GET IT! I haven't found anything better for repairing/reinforcing little plastic auto parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.JPG (332.8 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.JPG (257.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0133.JPG (292.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.JPG (291.8 KB, 173 views)
doug022984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doug022984 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-21-2017), Pasieka (08-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #26
312d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 312d View Post
I have parts to give away

subir fotos online
lever parts given today, gone to Pennsylvania.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,606 Times in 8,638 Posts

I discovered that both my 2004 and 2006 diverter doors were inoperative. The 2004 A/C doesn't work. The 2006 A/C does work. For hot humid days re-circulation helps the cooling to keep up. That's one I wanted to repair.

After reading this thread I went out and investigated.

The 2004 bell crank was hanging loose off the vacuum actuator. The 2006 bell crank pivot had broken off the pin on the door slotted lever end.

Not bad. I removed the 2004 pivot and attempted to install it on the 2006. I was having some trouble until it occurred to me to start the engine and activate the re-circulation. With the engine running the vacuum actuator and spring pulled nicely out of the way.

After some messing around the pivot was installed. I carefully levered the slotted arm over the pin with a screwdriver. After that was installed I popped the re-circ vacuum hose off the power brake assembly and re-installed the vacuum control on the pivot pin.

My opinion is that the return spring is too heavy, and possibly that the travel when pulled in for re-circ pulls too far. My 2006 had a broken pivot crank. The 2004 has a broken slotted arm piece. All that the actuator needs to do is move a door. Why is so much force used that it breaks plastic parts? I greased all the parts with silicone. It may help.

So my 2006 is operating until the next part breaks. My 2004 will likely never get the attention that it should. Given no A/C, wired into place works fine for the 2004.

vic

Added:
I removed the vacuum line from the 2004 and plugged both open ends. I figured that there was no reason to leave a useless vac supply connected to the out of service actuator.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-22-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (06-21-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #28
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
... My 2004 will likely never get the attention that it should. Given no A/C, wired into place works fine for the 2004.
But it might get a partial repair.

It did bug me that I had to wire the 2004 re-circ door. After some cogitation I decided that a rubber link might work on the broken crank arm end.

Close to the end of the broken crank section I drilled a 5/32" hole. I then pushed a Harbor Freight O-ring Set 8.8 mm x 1.9 mm O-ring through the hole and passed it back through itself to form a small loop.

On the 2004 diverter door I stretched the loop over the end of the broken door lever arm. (Fortunately the broken leftover door arm still has a right angle at the end.)

After the loop was secured I started the van and enabled Re-circ to pull the vacuum operator out of the way. The crank assembly then easily popped into place on its shaft. The diverter door moved with manual operation. A good sign.

I removed the brake tap vacuum hose to extend the operator, connected the operator to the crank, and re-connected the vacuum hose. The door moves to open and closed as it should.

For certain the door doesn't seal OEM tight in the extreme positions, but it moves very close to the OEM air flow positions when operated.

The O-ring will eventually fail. It may work for some time though.

vic

Added:
A similar rubber link may work on a broken crank end with an intact door arm. The O-ring staying in place will depend upon the angles of pull.

DoorArm.jpg

DoorArmBroken.jpg

Fuzzy poor picture of the O-ring.

DoorArmRubber.jpg
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-23-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Your re-circulation operator has failed.

What if you decide to just wire the door to one position or do nothing? (It isn't the end of the world.)

From another thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan575 View Post
... Do you you know if resealing the door would cause issues with vehicle performance or AC cabin air flow?
As was mentioned. it depends upon where the door is positioned.

Wired/sealed to outside air.
Positioned in (furthest from you) it will always be on outside makeup air. During really hot/humid ambient temperatures the A/C may not keep up well because it is always pulling hot moist air which is hard to cool.

Wired/sealed to re-circulation.
Positioned out (closest to you) the blower will always be pulling air from inside your vehicle cabin (re-circulated). During hot/humid ambient conditions the A/C will keep up better because the already cooled and dehumidified air is being re-circulated back to the blower. With no outside (makeup) air being pulled in the air quality may be compromised. Older vehicle air conditioners didn't use full outside air. If you seal the diverter door to re-circulation and are concerned about air quality, crack a window. (Does your home air conditioning system have outside makeup air? Most don't.)

Assuming a typical operator lever assembly failure, the diverter door swings freely. That results in a combination of air sources being pulled in by the blower. The outside air has less resistance to flow so mostly you will get outside air.

The position of the re-circulation door doesn't affect the operation of the cabin inside vents or diverters.

vic
Added:
Quote:
[Mice inside?] Check your diverter door operator in the cabin fan housing.

While contemplating other cabin HVAC system issues, it occurred to me that a broken diverter door operator would let the diverter door stay open to provide a nice entry point for critters. That said, if your diverter door operator system fails, the logical temporary repair is to wire the diverter door in the outside air position. That keeps the door closed to new critter entry. (Except, any that have already found and used the entry point will chew through most anything to get back into their home.)

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-27-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #30
Kiltym

Can someone confirm if the bellcrank part comes as part of the actuator if purchased, or part of the fresh air housing/assembly?

One reference above implies it comes with the fresh air housing, but wanted to confirm if someone knew. Just wondering if I order a new actuator if that will come with the bellcrank piece.
Kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote