Is it normal to have to set the '04 Norcold to 4 at night & 5 in day?

marklg

I have a remote thermometer readout (RF).
It climbs to 45 in daytime.

I can keep 35 to 37 at bottom if I switch.
Is it a three way absorbtion fridge? They notoriously get weak and don't cool as much as they should. Take the vents off outside and clean out any dust / spiderwebs, etc. Maybe that will help.

My 12 year old Dometic can't get down to 45 during the day here in AZ unless the inside of the van is cooled too. Gonna have to do something about that. There have been threads about replacing with a compressor type. I now have enough batteries to do that, so I am thinking of it.

Regards,

Mark

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Is it a three way absorbtion fridge? They notoriously get weak and don't cool as much as they should. Take the vents off outside and clean out any dust / spiderwebs, etc. Maybe that will help.

My 12 year old Dometic can't get down to 45 during the day here in AZ unless the inside of the van is cooled too. Gonna have to do something about that. There have been threads about replacing with a compressor type. I now have enough batteries to do that, so I am thinking of it.

Regards,

Mark
Change the $15 Thermister, they weaken with age..... :thumbup:

marklg

Change the $15 Thermister, they weaken with age..... :thumbup:
Which thermister? Mine basically follows the outside temp. If it is cool outside, it's just fine, so it does follow the themostat setting if it is able. I can see it is pulling current continuously. It just doesn't get that cold when it is hot outside.

Is there another thermister somewhere in the cooling apparatus?

Regards,

Mark

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Which thermister? Mine basically follows the outside temp. If it is cool outside, it's just fine, so it does follow the themostat setting if it is able. I can see it is pulling current continuously. It just doesn't get that cold when it is hot outside.

Is there another thermister somewhere in the cooling apparatus?

Regards,

Mark
What is the model number?

marklg

From the first one:

The second thing you need to understand is that the refrigerator will not cool properly if it is too hot outside (typically over 90 degrees F ambient).

Well, the low this morning was about 85F. It was over 90 by 8 AM. It's supposed to get up to only 105, a cool day for us here in AZ.

I am going to look into adding a fan on the outside vent to help it out a little.

Regards,

Mark

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
From the first one:

The second thing you need to understand is that the refrigerator will not cool properly if it is too hot outside (typically over 90 degrees F ambient).

Well, the low this morning was about 85F. It was over 90 by 8 AM. It's supposed to get up to only 105, a cool day for us here in AZ.

I am going to look into adding a fan on the outside vent to help it out a little.

Regards,

Mark
The absorption will still operate at temperature above 85, 90, etc, and at full 'speed' or in other words, never stop....

...what is really happening here is that that the fridge is absorbing too much ambient heat. No amount of absorption system 'cooling' will mediate this. What you need to do is add more insulation to or around the box.

marklg

I'm considering replacing my Domestic fridge if I can't get it working well. I did the following calculations comparing another Propane fridge to a Compressor fridge while boondocking.

26.82 kWh / gal Propane
1 COP
26.82 Cooling / gal (kWh)
2.5 usable gallons in tank reserved for fridge
67.05 Cooling (kWh) Propane / tank

5.2 kWh Batteries
4 COP
20.8 Cooling Batteries (kWh)
1.2 Solar energy collected per day (kWh)
0.6 Usable power reserved for fridge (kWh)
2.4 Cooling fridge / day (kWh)

COP is coefficient of performance, energy moved / energy used.

It basically looks like there is so much more cooling running off Propane, fillable in 10 minutes once in a week or so, even though it is inefficient.

Regards,

Mark

showkey

Absorption frig performance is directly related to the outside temperature and humidity.
So yes......very common or normal to adjust the settings and absorption frig is slow to react.

Hot humid day........5 setting
Cooler evening over night 3 setting might be able to achieve 35*.

I monitor mine with an inexpensive remote thermometer.

F170727F-F34C-46D8-931B-B3635B579955.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
2 of these, JB welded on top of the compressor flat plated top.
I have a temporary hodgepodge of sinks now /w the also final video card fan & they do wonders. Just crazy glued.

All this after sealing the inside w/ Hardcast foilgrip 401 months ago. As well a the 2 D cell circulation fan. But I screwed it to the bottom of the drip pan so as to get more BTUs off the out side of the evaporator. While sealing the freezer compartment well w/ refer foam.
I also filled in all possible gaps in cabinetry w/ styrofoam.
This is a DE490 r134a.

I still need a controller of some kind to keep from manually going from 4 at night to 5 in daytime… . hmm. It will freeze up too often if I don't.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If you can find an accurate mechanical thermostat, you could wire it to interrupt the thermister when the fridge drops below freezing?

Top Bottom