Wifi In my Sprinter?

John F.

Try a Verizon hot spot for the internet receptions. About $50/month. Works on 115vac and has few hours of remote battery reserve. Can be used anywhere there is good wireless phone reception.

Carolann

I use my iphone as a hotspot and have it holstered in a Wilson Electroncs cell phone booster. It gives me at least an extra bar with its mini antenna.

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I have a small Cradlepoint router that takes a 3G (from Sprint) USB plug in. If you have a different Cell phone service provider, the Cradlepoint routers will work the USB 3G/4G USB air cards from them as well.

What this does is provide the same general functionality as some of the stand alone WiFi hotspots devices that cell service providers sell. It also can be used a as a WiFi repeater if you are near a place with free WiFi (If you have an aimable directional WiFi antenna, the WiFi source could be miles away and you still get good performance).

My 3G USB device has a USB cable extender so that I can put it in the ceiling fan housing (that gets it outside of the metal frame of the Sprinter, up on the roof) where it stays dry but I get a much stronger signal - my router is inside the Sprinter and provides WiFi for anyone in the van.

The Big metal box of the the Sprinter is a pretty effective shield to block out signals. I also have a Raspberry Pi connected (it can stream audio and video while we drive - even if there is no 3G signal available - not an uncommon situation in the Colorado mountains).

Last edited:

psalm66

Just use an iPad (with built in WiFi) and a data plan. Also works well for navigation purposes. In my opinion it's the best way to go. :thumbup:

Sunnyandrich

On The Move
We alternate between home and extended travel.

I did not want to have to rewicker all my wireless devices when we move into the coach. For example, iPad, Sunny's Galaxy Tab, etc.

So I sourced a used Linksys WRT54G broadband router from the local Goodwill store for $2. I like this one, because the older routers have a external wired antenna port. (I have aspirations of running an RF cable to the roof at some point to a small stubby antenna, maybe mounted to the rear camera plate; the sprinter acting as a ground plane for the antenna for a bit more gain...hmmm)

I then re flashed the router with dd-wrt, a router package available on the net that supports repeater bridging.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I enabled the repeater bridge service on the router:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bridging

When we arrive at a campground with free WiFi, I search for the wireless signal details using my phone. I then log into my router on 192.168.2.1, and set up the router physical network to 'point' to the camp network. That is it.

Since I have the router set to the same virtual network as our house, I don't have to change any of the wireless devices; they just 'think' they are at home, since they 'see' the same network.

We typically can use this to watch Amazon Prime, through the repeater to the ipad to the HDMI TV input with no real problems, as long as the camp signal is strong. Pretty happy with this solution, especially at a net cost of $2.

Also,if we ever get a 4G brick, I can permanently set the router to point to the brick.

Here's what the dd-wrt page looks like during configuration. 'Upgrade' is our virtual network (and at home), the physical network in this case was Riverside Campground:

PaulDavis

I go one step further than Sunnyadrich, though I haven't actually used the setup much yet.

I have an external radio (Ubiqity Bullit) attached to an external antenna. This gives me much better ability to connect to wifi signals over a much wider range. The radio has a PoE (power-over-ethernet) connection into the WAN/internet port of my DD-WRT router. Once the setup is powered up, I point a browser at the radio (a fixed network address), select which network I want to try to use. Done. The router provides wifi inside the van, and also wired connections. The radio acts as the routing gateway - the router is connected to it via the PoE cable, and routes all external (internet) traffic via the radio.

In the area my home, our cell phones and computers can typically see 5-8 wifi networks. The Ubiquity sees 25+ networks. My hope is the chance of me being able to find and use an unlocked wifi network go up, and even if they do not, I should get much better signal strength anyway.

My van is used to transport musicians and or crew around Colorado.

I need to be able to have enough signal so they can surf the net. I have a meeting with VanWorks here in Fort Collins... Hopefully they can give me a few options. I will post what I find.

Top Bottom